Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead or brick ? Lan and WAN 1-4 leds on steady

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need your thoughts, Broken Power supply or bricked?

Hi All,

I need some thoughts on the problems I'm facing the last couple of days.

I think my power supply is defect (doesn't supply enough current), or worse, my wl500g premium is bricked.

The symptoms:
    All LAN leds and AIR leds are continiously on. they don't blink, even though not a single cable is connected. the power-led is off.
    When I take the power off, wait 15 secs, and put the power back on, the same symptoms occur. But. sometimes it 'boots', I stick a lan-cable in it and try to ping it, sometimes this works, but most of the time it doesn't.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, my harddrive (currently a 2,5' notebook) started having issues. The drive runs of the asus without an extra power supply. But now, all of a sudden the drive doesn't run off the asus anymore, I had to stick an extra powersupply to the drive in order to run it.
    Then, a week or so later, the asus didn't recognize my Velleman K8055 usb-interface board anymore, it doesn't detect it when it's plugged in.

And now, it's just sitting there, staring at me with all those orange lights, but it doesn't work.

I checked the power supply with a multimeter and it supplies 5.24v
    I guess this is correct, but could it be that it is not supplying enough current anymore so that the Asus can't boot up?

Would you think it's safe to test this with the 5v supply rail from a (running) pc. As I don't have a spare power-supply which can provide 5v@2,5a

Any thoughts on this are welcome.

TIA

that does sound like a powersupply is broken...
    I guess a input from a PC psu shouldn't give any problems... you most likely get a more stable signal anyway

just make sure you got the cables inserted the right way

Thanks for your reply,

I will try tonight..
    nevermind about the polarity, my-digital-friend, the multimeter will tell me which is what.. (in almost 100% of the cases, the center pin is +, surrounding is ground, but I will check double.)

/offtopic
    (couple of years ago, I had an external drive which power supply had died. The internals of the device were still ok, so I got (made myself) a new power supply for the external drive. Boy was I happy that I double checked that cable. The existing cable from the defect power supply had 3 wires: Black, red and yellow... Now, you normally would think: black=ground, red=5v and yellow=12v.. well.. not this particular psu: black=ground, red=12v and yellow=5v... just the other way around!)

Well,

Did some testing.
    my asus device is ok! it runs
    it is in fact the power supply which is giving the 'solid leds' thing.
    When I run it off a pc-power supply it immediately boots and recognises all the devices (harddisk and k8055 board)

Quote Originally Posted by raas View Post
    Well,

Did some testing.
    my asus device is ok! it runs
    it is in fact the power supply which is giving the 'solid leds' thing.
    When I run it off a pc-power supply it immediately boots and recognises all the devices (harddisk and k8055 board)
    good, now you only need a proper adaptor for your router

I also had same problems, power and air leds are off,and rest of leds are always on. I opened power supply and found that one capacitor is "swollen".
    It is 10V,1200uF. Closest that I could buy was 10V and 1500uF.
    I replaced it and it is working now
    Last edited by ocelivise; 04-09-2009 at 10:51.

Quote Originally Posted by ocelivise View Post
    I also had same problems, power and air leds are off,and rest of leds are always on. I opened power supply and found that one capacitor is "swollen".
    It is 10V,1200uF. Closest that I could buy was 10V and 1500uF.
    I replaced it and it is working now
    Nice find and good solution!!

(although, I won't go back anymore now that I have 5 devices running of the PC-PSU, which is more power efficient)

otoh it would be nice to have a seperate psu to drive it 'standalone'.

I'm going to open it up and see if mine suffers from the same swollen (leaky) capacitors

It's probably due to overheating(so many people with same problems during this summer), old capacitor was rated 105°C, this is only 85°C so I drilled some holes in casing.
    Total repair cost: ~0.75E

Quote Originally Posted by ocelivise View Post
    It's probably due to overheating(so many people with same problems during this summer), old capacitor was rated 105°C, this is only 85°C so I drilled some holes in casing.
    Total repair cost: ~0.75E
    hmm... I thought only the router itself suffered from that, reason for me to buy a laptop cooler

my psu get's quite warm as well... kinda odd that asus didn't spend more time on testing this.

Quote Originally Posted by raas View Post
    The symptoms:
    All LAN leds and AIR leds are continiously on. they don't blink, even though not a single cable is connected. the power-led is off.
    When I take the power off, wait 15 secs, and put the power back on, the same symptoms occur. But. sometimes it 'boots', I stick a lan-cable in it and try to ping it, sometimes this works, but most of the time it doesn't.

TIA
    Exactly the same problem I have.
    I have also another symptom: sometime when I connect LAN cable to the NB it frozes.

Now I want to test another adapter. I have my ASUS under warranty yet. So should I upload original firmware before I sent it to the seller?

Power Supply Solution

I had the same problem, couldn't get the reset function to work, only those four lights. Could not find an OEM power supply but did find one that ended up working fine- the plug is even the right size. Sonicwall part number 01-SSC-2848 is 5V, 2.4A which is plenty of current for the WL-500G Premium. I did have to reflash and restore config (PP) but all is well.

Lightbulb Defective Power supply ?

For those with defective asus router power suplyes, there is a sollution.

Often the capacitors are poorly made and they will start to leak electrolyte until they get defective.
    To change the defective capacitors open the defective power supply and change the bad capacitors, put the same µ F (micro farads) capacitors but higher voltage, for example if you have a capacitor that is rated at 1500 µ F and 10 V change with a 1500 µ F and 25 V capacitor, also there is a good ideea to drill holes in the top case of the power suply to help it cool down if you use your router 24/7, 365 days a year.

This Information is provided as is withowt any Implyed warranty, use at your own risk, I'm not responsable if you dammage your PSU, this information is provided in the hope that it will help somebody.

Best regards,

Renegate
    Last edited by Renegate; 12-09-2009 at 10:55.

Hi all,
    I have the same issue (power led off, lan leds on and fixed, wan on and fixed) but I measured the voltage of my power supply and it is 5.15V, than I used another power supply without success.
    Do you have any suggest?
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by giangi72; 14-09-2009 at 10:32.

Quote Originally Posted by giangi72 View Post
    Hi all,
    I have the same issue (power led off, lan leds on and fixed, wan on and fixed) but I measured the voltage of my power supply and it is 5.15V, than I used another power supply without success.
    Do you have any suggest?
    Thanks in advance
    Do you know for sure that this 'another' power supply is able to supply 5v at at least 2,5amperes? IF not, it won't boot. Use your pc's power supply just to make sure.

It was by the defective power suply.
    When router starts, it takes 0.75A, but when the wirelles is on, it takes 1.1A !!
    So 5V 1A is not enough.
    Last edited by Leon78; 15-09-2009 at 19:08.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast