Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firmware v1.9.2.7 CR6, updated to CR6a ... now CR6b [Oleg]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Malformed ARP packets

Hello,
    I have problem with 1.9.2.7 customized firmware. I have switched wan and lan port, so computers are connected to WAN (dhcp runs there) and LAN is bridged with wireless and connected to corporate router (and to the internet). In one segment I have over 20 Asus WL500g routers connected into the tree (no cycles). When there is traffic on this network, some malformed packets appear. Something like this:

Code:
    01:06:47.970228 172.16.0.20 > 00:0b:6a:32:81:96, ethertype ARP (0x0806), length 60: truncated-arp
            0x0000:  4500 0028 a0be 4000 7f06 bcd1 0a00 1403  E..(..@.........
            0x0010:  51d7 2e66 0a50 b848 6902 4476 a894 60f9  Q..f.P.Hi.Dv..`.
            0x0020:  5010 fbb8 9c3c 0000 0000 0000 0000       P....<........
    These packets were originaly standard TCP/IP packets from the computers connected to the WAN (they still contain beginning of the IP packet, so I was able to trace them to originating computers). 172.16.0.20 is the LAN/Wireless IP address of the Asus router. But it isn't still originating router, that discards the packet. Sometimes it is done by router in the way (on the bridge between wireless and LAN) from originating router to corporate router.

Does anybody have some idea how to solve this problem?

Connect & permanent online ?

Oleg,

on two issues I need your help:

1. The Interent connect button does not directly make a connection to the internet.
    At least I can not see that its connected. But when I open up the Internet explorer then the connection will be established. But never via Web Interface to the Router.

2. Could it be that the router keeps all the time the internet connection alife?
    I was just surprised when I checked the online time at my provider that I was 24 hours on line with less than 30 Megs.
    Normaly I would expect after reaching the idle time the internet connection is switched off.

Appreciate your help, keep it going, well done!
    Cheers
    Ende4711

Quote Originally Posted by ende4711
    2. Could it be that the router keeps all the time the internet connection alife?
    I was just surprised when I checked the online time at my provider that I was 24 hours on line with less than 30 Megs.
    Normaly I would expect after reaching the idle time the internet connection is switched off.
    You should manually specify DNS servers for this to work and mark "Idle Tx Only"

Quote Originally Posted by ende4711
    Oleg,

on two issues I need your help:

1. The Interent connect button does not directly make a connection to the internet.
    At least I can not see that its connected. But when I open up the Internet explorer then the connection will be established. But never via Web Interface to the Router.

Appreciate your help, keep it going, well done!
    Cheers
    Ende4711
    issue 1... The button is probably for a direct internet connection and not a dialup connection. I don't have problems with that button
    Last edited by kfaessen; 22-07-2005 at 01:33.

Fixed in 2.4.21-pre5 and later.

Just a quick tought. Are there any llimitations to upgrade kernel from 2.4.20 to somewhat higher (eg 2.4.31)

I have thist annoying messages:
    Code:
    KERNEL: assertion (newsk->state != TCP_SYN_RECV) failed at tcp.c(2225)
    KERNEL: assertion ((1<<sk2->state)&(TCPF_ESTABLISHED|TCPF_CLOSE_WAIT|TCPF_CLOSE)) failed at af_inet.c(689)
    KERNEL: assertion ((1<<sk2->state)&(TCPF_ESTABLISHED|TCPF_CLOSE_WAIT|TCPF_CLOSE)) failed at af_inet.c(689)
    Which is fixed in 2.4.21-pre5 and later.

Another annoying thing which is hopefuly fixed in latest kernels is USB timeout issue on busy server with gift and torrent with load rarely under 1. But for this I've found solution (Revoltec case and WD3200 disk).

Now if you skipped bla-bla from above. The question is? What are the issues when upgrading to other kernel? Are kernel pathes needed for WL500GX? Does stock kernel suffice? Only .config needed, lzma patch, usb patch ...?

I've compiled Oleg source and unslug tree w/o problem. But bricking router with naive replacement with other kernel bothers me.
    Last edited by oleo; 06-09-2005 at 09:05.

Quote Originally Posted by oleo
    Just a quick tought. Are there any llimitations to upgrade kernel from 2.4.20 to somewhat higher (eg 2.4.31)
    yes, binary wl.o.

Which is fixed in 2.4.21-pre5 and later.
    backport a fix to 2.4.20.

Another annoying thing which is hopefuly fixed in latest kernels is USB timeout issue on busy server with gift and torrent with load rarely under 1. But for this I've found solution (Revoltec case and WD3200 disk).
    usb stuff is from the 2.4.25 kernel.

Now if you skipped bla-bla from above. The question is? What are the issues when upgrading to other kernel? Are kernel pathes needed for WL500GX? Does stock kernel suffice? Only .config needed, lzma patch, usb patch ...?
    Binary wl.o, as well as other broadcom customizations to the kernel.

Well, openwrt uses now the latest from 2.4.21, as they've ported broadcom stuff and adjusted kernel to be wl.o compatible, but this requires a lot of testing to be absilutely sure, that everything still works...

backport a fix to 2.4.20.
    Found this patch which should help with assertion (newsk->state != TCP_SYN_RECV) failed at tcp.c(2225)

Code:
    diff -urN linux-2.4.20/net/ipv4/tcp_minisocks.c linux-2.4.21/net/ipv4/tcp_minisocks.c
    --- linux-2.4.20/net/ipv4/tcp_minisocks.c       2002-11-28 15:53:15.000000000 -0 800
    +++ linux-2.4.21/net/ipv4/tcp_minisocks.c       2003-06-13 07:51:39.000000000 -0 700
    @@ -935,6 +938,12 @@
            if (flg & (TCP_FLAG_RST|TCP_FLAG_SYN))
                    goto embryonic_reset;

+       /* ACK sequence verified above, just make sure ACK is
    +        * set.  If ACK not set, just silently drop the packet.
    +        */
    +       if (!(flg & TCP_FLAG_ACK))
    +               return NULL;
    +
            /* If TCP_DEFER_ACCEPT is set, drop bare ACK. */
            if (tp->defer_accept && TCP_SKB_CB(skb)->end_seq == req->rcv_isn+1) {
                    req->acked = 1;
    But I've tought of something like quantum leap in kernel (2.4.20->.31) as there are so much bugfixes which I would like to have.

Anyway TNX. Will test this patch and confirm if it helped.

Oleg let me start off by saying "Thank you for the work!"

I will have to try this firmware release when I get home. I don't want to do it remotely

For the Wan-port dying issue:

I dont know if this has been brought up before or not.

My situation in the past (1.9.2.7-5a and older) has mirrored most other users except I'm not using the WAN port. I use my wl500g as an access-point/print server only. All routing is done via my 'nix box.

My access to the wl500g disappears. It is becomes non-pingable. ARP does not complete. When this happens, all print services cease and I cannot telnet/http into the administrative interface. The switch continues to function flawlessly.

What intrigues me is that I am not using the WAN port at all. My 'nix box feeds my lan via the switch and the other PCs are using the other LAN ports.

Has the possibility that the WAN port dying issue is not really the WAN port and something else? I do notice that when using P2P applications the dying happens more frequently. I've had the wl500g for almost a year now, but did not start seeing issues until I tried P2P applications.

I'll upgrade to current 1.9.2.7-CR6 later this morning to get a feel for how it works.

After acitating WPA-PSK I have problems connecting with my notebook (xp home sp2 with siemens gigaset 54-card). Sometimes the connection will not work, i have to deactivate the card and than activate it again. Sometimes i will get an error-message after doing this but the connection will work anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by justwords
    After acitating WPA-PSK I have problems connecting with my notebook (xp home sp2 with siemens gigaset 54-card). Sometimes the connection will not work, i have to deactivate the card and than activate it again. Sometimes i will get an error-message after doing this but the connection will work anyway.
    This definitely is a gigaset driver problems. Nothing to do with firmware.

Oleg when is the latest firmware ready for use?

The next firmware would be 1.9.2.7-6c, which would be mostly a bug fix release.

i can't mount usb kingston 64MB

[admin@ (none) root] df
    Filesystem 1k-bloks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/root 3008 3008 0 100% /
    [admin@ (none) root]$
    [admin@ (none) root] umount /tmp/harddisk/
    umount: /tmp/harddisk:$ Invali argument
    [admin@ (none) root]$

[admin@ (none) root] $ ls -l /dev/discs/disc0
    lr-xr-xr-x 1 admin root 31 jan 1 00:00 dev/discs/disc0 -> ../scsi/
    host0/bus0/target0/lun0
    [admin@ (none) root] $mkdir /tmp/harddisk
    mkdir: cannot create directory '/tmp/harddisk': File exist
    [admin@ (none) root] $mount /dev/discs/disc0/part1 /tmp/harddisk
    mount: Mounting /dev/discs/disc0/part1 on /tmp/harddisk failed: No such file or directory
    [admin@ (none) root] $

any idea??

I use Asus wl-500b v1, firmware 1.9.2.7-6b

Quote Originally Posted by yeager
    I use Asus wl-500b v1, firmware 1.9.2.7-6b
    Hi,

do a fresh restart (Power Off and on)

Login to your Device

Stick in the Stick.

Do a dmesg

post the results, may there is more written what is going wrong ;-)

Greetings from Berlin
    Greetings from 1XXXX (Berlin/Germany)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast