Thread: New oleg firmware version

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post
    I know windows has troubles with it, but I'm not sure about linux
    It doesn't depend on the OS alone. The filesystem is imho more important.

ext4 for example supports volumes up to 1 Exbibyte where ext3 supports max 16 Tebibyte per volume...
    (yes I really try following IEEE 1541 suggestions )
    RT-N66U TomatoUSB 1.28.0000 MIPSR2-135 K26AC USB AIO-64K running Entware-NG
    pyload 0.4.9
    minidlna 1.1.2
    samba 3.6.5
    openvpn 2.3.10
    ̶W̶L̶5̶0̶0̶g̶P̶ ̶1̶.̶9̶.̶2̶.̶7̶-̶r̶t̶n̶-̶r̶4̶7̶5̶0 retired

Quote Originally Posted by staticroute View Post
    there is a GUID support inside 2.6.22.19 kernel firmware by default, it should work I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by !gm View Post
    It doesn't depend on the OS alone. The filesystem is imho more important.

ext4 for example supports volumes up to 1 Exbibyte where ext3 supports max 16 Tebibyte per volume...
    (yes I really try following IEEE 1541 suggestions )
    Good good
    I'm thinking about using EXT4 for a new drive. With all the backports in oleg it does run nicely

Good good
    I'm thinking about using EXT4 for a new drive. With all the backports in oleg it does run nicely
    yes, but still 2.6 seems to be a lot more buggy than 2.4 branch, at least for me..

without custom configuration of kernel it's useless for me..

yes, but still 2.6 seems to be a lot more buggy than 2.4 branch, at least for me..

without custom configuration of kernel it's useless for me..
    buggy? I prefer the 2.6 kernel a lot over the 2.4 one tbh.

buggy? I prefer the 2.6 kernel a lot over the 2.4 one tbh.
    may I ask what is your router model?

mine is WL500gP v1

may I ask what is your router model?

mine is WL500gP v1
    RT-N16
    I also have a WL-500W as wireless ethernet bridge with 2.6, including some oleg opkg packages
    I actually noticed wifi improvements for my WL-500W. It's stronger and faster

I'm waiting silently waiting for my RT-N66U to get oleg as well (not trying to rush the devs )

RT-N16
    I also have a WL-500W as wireless ethernet bridge with 2.6, including some oleg opkg packages
    I actually noticed wifi improvements for my WL-500W. It's stronger and faster

I'm waiting silently waiting for my RT-N66U to get oleg as well (not trying to rush the devs )

well, RT-N16 is based originally on 2.6 I believe, that's why it works ok, but with wl500gP situation is different, the most stable situation with this router is on 2.4.20 kernel, low CPU load, irq usage etc. But the problem is I can't use it due closed-source wi-fi driver which is only available for 2.6 branch.

I partially solved some issues with SLAB allocator and tuned kernel config a bit, but I think it's still not perfect under load.

For example I'm running few openvpn tunnels on 2.4.20 kernel they were eating 0.20 0.10 maximum load, but on new firmware with 2.6.22.19 0.50,0.35,0.22.

Also there is huge load when you're downloading something from LAN, on default options CPU is reaching 100% load. If I didn't alter kernel config it'd be useless (i can't open any site and can't use anything).

Actually my wl500gP equipped with BCM43222 as I noted before + I flashed WL500W firmware, so it's like yours WL500W.

Regarding opkg I just tried it and I think I'd stick with oleg's optware, just because I'm so used to it and I don't want to break existing packages.

Let me bump this

Do you guys think it's a good idea to go for a 3TB EXT4 formatted disk?
    I'm willing to build myself a special brew firmware with CONFIG_LBD enabled if necessary.

Also I think flashfs is not working on the current firmware. Is the firmware getting bigger again?

I'm playing around with EXT4 since I'm planning on buying a new 3TB harddisk.
    My other harddisk is wearing out a bit so I want to replace it before it breaks down

I properly looked into the configuration of the kernel before thinking about going over 3TB.
    I've seen UEFI was enabled which should allow the GTP partition system for >2TB disks.
    For some reason I could never insmod the EXT4 module though I did insmod the dependencies before trying.
    It always reported something about a missing symbol.

I decided to build a firmware with EXT4 build in rather than a module and found out while trying to mount, that one option should be enabled as well.
    CONFIG_LBD=y
    This will allow Large Block Devices to work. After applying this as well I found that mounting EXT4 worked fine.