Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Using HDD drive for Root on OpenWRT

The instructions to flash openWRT to the router over the serial port are here, but I'm not sure if this will help - it looks like you need pre-existing files on your router (ie a working firmware in the 1st place)

There may be some programs around to see what is coming out of a serial port, but unless you find one specific to the wl-700ge format, it won't actually be of much use...

Quote Originally Posted by DaNawq View Post
    #After following the great work of MoD do the following:

mkdir -p /opt/etc
    echo "src optware http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/ddwrt/cross/stable" > /opt/etc/ipkg.conf
    echo "lists_dir ext /opt/var/lib/ipkg" >> /opt/etc/ipkg.conf
    echo "dest /opt/ /" >> /opt/etc/ipkg.conf

export IPKG_CONF_DIR=/opt/etc
    ipkg -V 2 update

ipkg install mt-daapd

#edit your /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf // runas root
    /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd

#enjoy your mt-openwrt Server
    #Proceed with all other ~600 packages :-P
    I seem to be having trouble with this step - I get an md5 checksum mismatch on any package I try to install from the optware repositories - any ideas anyone?

oh I've forgotten a step

mkdir -p /opt/etc
    echo "src optware http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/ddwrt/cross/stable" > /opt/etc/ipkg.conf
    echo "lists_dir ext /opt/var/lib/ipkg" >> /opt/etc/ipkg.conf
    echo "dest /opt/ /" >> /opt/etc/ipkg.conf

export IPKG_CONF_DIR=/opt/etc
    ipkg -V 2 update

after that, the first you have to install is:

ipkg install ipkg-opt

from now on use ipkg-opt to install mt-daapd.

Just edit /etc/profiles and add /opt/bin:/opt/sbin to your path

Quote Originally Posted by d3viant View Post
    I seem to be having trouble with this step - I get an md5 checksum mismatch on any package I try to install from the optware repositories - any ideas anyone?
    i have no idea and cant even test it because I cant mount IDE.

Quote Originally Posted by DaNawq View Post
    oh I've forgotten a step

ipkg install ipkg-opt

from now on use ipkg-opt to install mt-daapd.

Just edit /etc/profiles and add /opt/bin:/opt/sbin to your path
    Yup, that ipkg-opt package is linked directly to the /opt/etc/ipkg.conf config file - I get md5 checksum error on that package too though...

I think my md5sum program (part of busybox) is corrupt - will try reinstalling busybox and see if it helps..

EDIT: Well, it's definitely md5sums that are the problem - an md5sum on an ipkg on the router gives a completely different result than an md5sum on my main pc... not sure how to solve it though - maybe theres an option to make ipkg ignore md5sums?
    Last edited by d3viant; 28-01-2007 at 16:59.

recover wl700gE

I tried to follow http://back2basic.shacknet.nu/WL700G...thread.php?t=3 tutorial, but cant upload the second part:
    again wait 10/20 sec press the ezflash button(keep pressed again) and put in the power
    NOW if the readylight flashes one time let go of the ezflash button and start Asus Firmware Restoration
    upload WL700gE_1.0.4.2.nas and wait until the device boots 1-2 min.
    Asus Firmware Restoration tool doesnt upload firmware. tftp par goes well. any ideas?

The ASUS trx file is meant to put the flash into such a state that you can then upload the usual .nas images to it - if even that image isn't working, then it looks like there probably is something wrong with the flash memory in your router.

The ASUS trx file is meant to put the flash into such a state that you can then upload the usual .nas images to it - if even that image isn't working, then it looks like there probably is something wrong with the flash memory in your router.
    huh, got it working. asus firmware works, but serial console shows the same error (see boot log in attachement):
    pivot_rc starting...
    pivot_rc proceeding to boocramfs: wrong magic
    t from disk...
    ERROR(a):mount_pivot_point failed to mount location : /dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part1...
    ERROR(b):mount_pivot_point error : Invalid argument...
    pivot_rc boot loop error for location 0...
    pivot_rc complete -> calling /sbin/init...
    Attached Files Attached Files

could someone give me list of nvram variables for fresh device?

Quote Originally Posted by MoD View Post
    huh, got it working. asus firmware works, but serial console shows the same error (see boot log in attachement):
    Hmm very odd, can you get the hard drive to mount at all now you have firmware back on the router?

If not, it could be a cable problem -not plugged in correctly, wire break etc (clutching at straws here)

Hmm very odd, can you get the hard drive to mount at all now you have firmware back on the router?

If not, it could be a cable problem -not plugged in correctly, wire break etc (clutching at straws here)
    the original ASUS firmware mounts internal HDD. there is only that error. but i guess if i'll reflash openwrt, nothing will change. i'll be not able to mount hdd.

Could someone help get me a file?

Could someone help get me a file which is "/tmp/filter_rules" in ASUS originl firewall?
    I need to study the firewall rule becase the openwrt can do many thing for me. I think my wl700ge will work well if i can get firewall rules on that.

Here is my status.
    1. wifi can work still need modify some
    2. dns can work
    3. wan work on ADSL(with pppoe)
    4. Xwrt work on route (beta version but can do something)
    5. ipkg work well
    6. root on hdd
    7. can not go back to ASUS firmware becase i clean many set on NVRM.

What firewall rules do you need?

I found it very easy to do using the /etc/config/firewall file (once you run iptables once, this file is created with comments on how to add rules)

I can get ASUS firmware running with error, but cant Openwrt The worst thing is that I even dont know how this problem arised.

it is definitely something flash related. googling with "cramfs wrong magic" shows that.

For example: http://www.mail-archive.com/linuxppc.../msg01386.html

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast