Hi,

I have oleg's v10 firmware installed and I'm encoutering some strange problems.

-the system isn't as stable as I had v8 running. The data is (thanks to the shutdown sequence, that a big plus) but the system isn't.

Like now. The webserver (lighttpd) wasn't answering to request, so I tried to restart the service, but to no avail.
Well, then a reboot must follow in order to get it running.
So I do a reboot, and the Harddisk goes all crazy on me (like 20 minutes now, only reading/writing) but no reboot... A lot of services have already been shutdown, but what is it doing on the shutdown ?

before I isued the reboot command, my output of df looked like this:
Code:
[admin@NAS root]$ df
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs                3.0M  3.0M     0 100% /
/dev/root             3.0M  3.0M     0 100% /
/dev/discs/disc0/part1
                      4.7G  346M  4.2G   8% /opt
/dev/discs/disc0/part3
                      449G  406G   21G  96% /mnt
After 15 minutes, my output of df looked like this:
Code:
[admin@NAS root]$ df
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs                3.0M  3.0M     0 100% /
/dev/root             3.0M  3.0M     0 100% /
/dev/discs/disc0/part1
                      4.7G  1.7G  2.9G  37% /opt
/dev/discs/disc0/part3
                      449G  406G   21G  96% /mnt
After 20 minutes, my output of df looked like this:
Code:
[admin@NAS root]$ df
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs                3.0M  3.0M     0 100% /
/dev/root             3.0M  3.0M     0 100% /
/dev/discs/disc0/part1
                      4.7G  1.9G  2.7G  41% /opt
/dev/discs/disc0/part3
                      449G  406G   21G  96% /mnt
It writes 1.6 GByte of data to my /opt partition. and it still keeps on growing.!
Why does it do that?


When I take a look at /opt/var/log I see a strange file 'messages'

Code:
[admin@NAS root]$ cd /opt/var/log
[admin@NAS log]$ ls
total 1591484
drwxr-xr-x  4 admin root       4096 May  4 00:00 .
drwxr-xr-x 10 admin root       4096 Feb 13 18:27 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 admin root       4096 Apr 26 18:54 lighttpd
-rw-r--r--  1 admin root      11178 May  3 10:04 mediatomb
-rw-------  1 admin root 1627985847 May  4 14:58 messages
-rw-------  1 admin root       7195 May  4 00:00 messages.1.gz
drwxr-xr-x  2 admin root       4096 Apr 26 18:54 samba
-rw-------  1 admin root      51052 May  1 20:44 vsftpd.log
It's 1.6 GBytes big, and keeps on growing.

The contents of my pre-shutdown files is :
Code:
#! /bin/sh

/opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung stop

sleep 10s

for i in `cat /proc/mounts | awk '/ext3/{print($1)}'` ; do
  mount -oremount,ro $i
done

swapoff -a

sleep 1s
seems like I'm in some kind of program loop which keeps on writing to /opt/var/log/messages


Does anyone know what's going on and how I can prevent this behaviour.
(the other packages I'm running differ slightly from the ones in the HeadStart image.)


Thanks all.