Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1.8.1.7-1 custom firmware available for testing

1.8.1.7-1 custom firmware available for testing

Guys,

I've made 1.8.1.7 firmware available for testing. Download it from this link. This wl500g version, which was tested and works fine. Sources and rootfs are also provided for your reference. There are also firmwares for other units as well, but build by automated ASUS scripts and not tested - browse this directory to find yours. I need a feedback from none wl500g owners (i.e. wl500b, wl500bv2, wl300g) to either build these firmwares or to remove them. I do not have an ability to test them.

No documentation available at this time, the major difference with older firmwares is that it's no longer scripts driven (except linuxrc & flashfs), does not support bootCmds (use flashfs instead), location for post- scripts are also changed - they now lying in the /usr/local/sbin/.
    Important note regarding post- scripts - they're should start with
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    otherwise they will not work.
    Another regarding raw printing - USB is now sitting at 9100, LPT - 9101

Changelog and documentation will be posted later, I need sometime to rewrite the page.
    Once this will be done I will post it to the Firmware Releases forum.

UPDATE: I've updated wl500g page with new instructions
    Last edited by Oleg; 11-10-2004 at 21:44.

Wrong firmware was posted for the wl500g (this results in no printing possible). I've reuploaded it, so check file sizes
    zip should be 3559891 bytes
    root should be 2464128 bytes

I just put firmware WL300g_1.8.1.7-1.trx on my Asus WL-300g and as you can see I have still a internet connection, so it is working

I will test some more functions (for example WPA-PSK and SSH) when I have got time

Also I will put the WL500g_1.8.1.7-1.trx firmware on my Asus WL-500g tonight
    Last edited by GJAman; 11-10-2004 at 18:14.
    KEEP FORUMS @ WL500G.INFO UP!!! - DONATE NOW, CLICK HERE!!!

Visit this page for docs draft.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Visit this page for docs draft.
    3. Generate the DSS key by typing
    dropbearkey -t dss /usr/local/etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_host_key

4. Generate the RSA key by typing
    dropbearkey -t rsa /usr/local/etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key
    Must that not be?

dropbearkey -t dss -f /usr/local/etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_host_key

dropbearkey -t rsa -f /usr/local/etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key

B.T.W. I saw that anonymous FTP acces is standard on in this firmware is this right?
    user=anonymous * // 0 A
    Last edited by GJAman; 12-10-2004 at 00:31.
    KEEP FORUMS @ WL500G.INFO UP!!! - DONATE NOW, CLICK HERE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GJAman
    Must that not be?

dropbearkey -t dss -f /usr/local/etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_host_key

dropbearkey -t rsa -f /usr/local/etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key
    Right, page updated.
    B.T.W. I saw that anonymous FTP acces is standard on in this firmware is this right?
    I've no idea. I've not touched ftp stuff.

Strange Problem

Hi,

I am new here, firstly thanks for your efforts in creating these great custom firmwares, much appreciated =)

I have tried to install this firmware tonight and it seems to work fine after I did a firmware upgrade and then a factory reset on the router. However, there seems to be two weird problems after I flashed it with this firmware.

1. I like to manually set the IP addresses for my Wireless cards according to their MAC to have control over the port forward settings. For my case, I've set the IP address of my wireless card to 192.168.1.33 but somehow, it gets assigned to 192.168.1.66. Even though this is so, the Port forwarding seems to still work even when I've entered .33 for the local destination in the virtual server settings.

2. I can't seem to disable the firewall on the router. Every time I try to disable it, the router will become unstable and becomes nonresponsive (like I can no longer log onto the router web interface) very quickly after every reboot of the router (I would have to reboot the router through manually unplugging the power cord). On top of that, even when I can access the router's web interface, the router cannot get a pppoe connection, even if I press the connect button, nothing will happen. As a consequence, I've left the router's firewall on.

at the moment, I've only encountered the above problems (besides the ever lingering problem of my wan port dying during heavy transfers and BT when I've already set the speed on my router)....

Anyway, could they be bugs on the firmware or am I doing something incorrectly?

Thanks for your assistance in this matter =)

Quote Originally Posted by MSG
    1. I like to manually set the IP addresses for my Wireless cards according to their MAC to have control over the port forward settings. For my case, I've set the IP address of my wireless card to 192.168.1.33 but somehow, it gets assigned to 192.168.1.66. Even though this is so, the Port forwarding seems to still work even when I've entered .33 for the local destination in the virtual server settings.
    well, post dhcp status here it should contain leases info. Also, check the /etc/ethers file and post it here. Your client probably requests old IP address from the router, so manual assignment does not work (this is mostly happens with Linux).

BUGBUG: Firewall fails to load if "Logged packets type" is set to other than None.
    I'm suggesting everyone to set this setting to none for now.

Migrating flashfs

[This message is being posted through compiled-from-source 1.8.1.7-1 firmware.]

A note for others - you can't use an existing flashfs just by making sure that everything is in post-boot before you flash with the new custom firmware. The flashfs is untarred in a new place (/tmp/local instead of the old /mnt/ramfs), so you need to recreate the flashfs, save and commit it after you have loaded the new firmware.

But what if you have quite a bit in there, most of which will work with the new firmware. Then what you have to do is:

tar -C /tmp -xzvf /dev/mtdblock/4
    mv /tmp/mnt/ramfs/local/* /tmp/local/

Then you can edit the files to make sure it will all work with the new firmware, and then flashfs save and flashfs commit.

-- Rod

I can't get 1.8.1.7-1 compiled. I followed to procedure from the website, but there seems to be a missing /.config file.

Am I doing something wrong?

Code:
    [ ! -d /root/broadcom/src/router/zebra ] || [ -d /root/broadcom/src/gateway/zebra ] || \
            tar -C /root/broadcom/src/router -cf - zebra | tar -C /root/broadcom/src/gateway -xf -
    [ ! -f zebra.diff ] || patch -d /root/broadcom/src/gateway -p1 < zebra.diff
    [ ! -d /root/broadcom/src/router/rt2460 ] || [ -d /root/broadcom/src/gateway/rt2460 ] || \
            tar -C /root/broadcom/src/router -cf - rt2460 | tar -C /root/broadcom/src/gateway -xf -
    [ ! -f rt2460.diff ] || patch -d /root/broadcom/src/gateway -p1 < rt2460.diff
    [ -f /root/broadcom/src/gateway/Makefile ] || cp /root/broadcom/src/router/Makefile /root/broadcom/src/gateway && patch -d /root/broadcom/src/gateway -p1 < Makefile.diff
    patching file Makefile
    make -C /root/broadcom/src/gateway/rc clean
    make[1]: Entering directory `/root/broadcom/src/gateway/rc'
    Makefile:15: /.config: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/.config'.  Stop.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/broadcom/src/gateway/rc'
    make: *** [custom] Error 2
    root@vampire:~/broadcom/src/wl500g-1.8.1.7-1#

Yes, Rod has already sent patches to me, you need to add
    make -C $(TOP) .config

Cant login

I can`t login with my old password and the username admin or root!

Can somebody say me how I can login into the admininterface

Quote Originally Posted by Holli
    I can`t login with my old password and the username admin or root!

Can somebody say me how I can login into the admininterface
    Try admin/admin, the default factory one

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Yes, Rod has already sent patches to me, you need to add
    make -C $(TOP) .config
    Where do I add it, since I tried some places in the Makefile, but it doesn't quite work...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast