Thread: DSL disconnects

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Question DSL does not disconnect

Hi, I have installed a wl500g behind a dsl modem, I use PPPoE but after a while It disconnect, I was wondering if I have done a good setup with the option:
    Idle Disconnect Time in seconds(option)
    To have no disconnection, it's writed to put it at 0 and I was wondering if I should put 0 or leave the field blank.
    I also wonder if the router reconnect automatically if the provider disconnect ?
    I have the firmware 1.6.5.3

2. No one to tell me if the field need to blank or with 0 ?

3. Unhappy

Look at the log, it connect at around 18h40 everydays ( I started it for the first time the 7th at 18h40) after the disconnections of the night, strange...

Jan 1 01:00:25 PPPoE: connect to server since boot up for 25 seconds
    Oct 7 18:40:28 NTP client: time is synchronized to 131.107.1.10
    Oct 7 22:29:54 PPPoE: disconnected
    Oct 8 18:37:22 PPPoE: connect to server since boot up for 86247 seconds
    Oct 8 18:42:27 NTP client: time is synchronized to 131.107.1.10
    Oct 9 03:46:24 PPPoE: disconnected
    Oct 9 18:43:17 NTP client: time is synchronized to 131.107.1.10
    Oct 9 18:43:20 PPPoE: connect to server since boot up for 172935 seconds
    Oct 10 00:30:26 PPPoE: disconnected
    Oct 10 18:45:26 NTP client: time is synchronized to 131.107.1.10
    Oct 10 18:45:29 PPPoE: connect to server since boot up for 259394 seconds

An idea ?

I can't find anything about the idle disconnect function except the time is in seconds. Don't know what to do if you want to disable it. I assume you don't want to be disconnected from your ISP. So you can try the following:
    - Test idle disconnect to zero (0) or a large number like 604800 (one week).
    - Start a ping stream from your pc to an internet server for a few days. This way you can check if the idle disconnect causes the disconnects.

Some other things you can do:
    - Upgrade to a more recent firmware like: 1.7.5.9 CR5. The firmware you are using is old and may contain bugs which are solved in newer firmwares.
    - Contact your ISP and ask them if they can diagnose your problem.

I noticed that the first two disconnects in your log take place after approximately 1 day (86400 seconds), perhaps this means something...

Quote Originally Posted by chris.delarue
    Hi, I have installed a wl500g behind a dsl modem, I use PPPoE but after a while It disconnect, I was wondering if I have done a good setup with the option:
    Idle Disconnect Time in seconds(option)
    To have no disconnection, it's writed to put it at 0 and I was wondering if I should put 0 or leave the field blank.
    I also wonder if the router reconnect automatically if the provider disconnect ?
    I have the firmware 1.6.5.3
    My guess would be you have to set it at 0, this is a quite commonly used setting for endless / never expire.

Disconnects may well be initiated by your modem and not by the router.

Why don't you set up the PPPoE account on your modem, enable DHCP on the modem and use automatic IP for your WAN connection on the router. If you don't want to use DHCP on the modem you can also set a static IP for your WAN

Sure you are actually disconnected???????

Your NTP client is able to connect succesfully every day without user intervention so if it's disconnected it reconnects automatically.

The last line of your log
    Oct 10 18:45:29 PPPoE: connect to server since boot up for 259394 seconds
    suggest to me that you have been connected for 259394 / 3 = 86464 seconds which is a bit more then 3 days. So if your a disconnected at all this has to be for a very short period IMHO
    Last edited by brubber; 11-10-2004 at 03:01.
    Brubber

WL-500g, WL-138g, WL-160g

6. If the router still does not disconnect, it is really a bug
    The thing is that I would like it to never disconnect (or to reconnect after a few seconds)

The thing is that I would like it to never disconnect
    Have you seen the changes log for release 1.8.1.7 ?
    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/downl...EN.zip~zaqwedc

6. Chg: For PPPoE in heavy uploading, when idle time out is set to 0, disable LCP ECHO Request,

8. 6. Chg: For PPPoE in heavy uploading, when idle time out is set to 0, disable LCP ECHO Request
    Behind my router, there is no computer connected (only maybe once a week) but just a usb webcam , and I just want to be able to watch what's going on with the webcam, so I don't do any heavy uploading.
    My provider gave me a fixed IP adress, I don't use dyndns.

Split this topic for obvious reasons....

jabuaman, I've moved you question to a seperate thread. Please stay on topic next time or start your own thread.

Last edited by Styno; 11-10-2004 at 15:44.

Quote Originally Posted by chris.delarue
    Behind my router, there is no computer connected (only maybe once a week) but just a usb webcam , and I just want to be able to watch what's going on with the webcam, so I don't do any heavy uploading.
    My provider gave me a fixed IP adress, I don't use dyndns.
    Perhaps you missed it http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?p=5870#post5870; Disconnects may well be initiated by your modem and not by the router. Did you check this?

Furthermore:
    Are you sure you are actually disconnected in such a way that you are no longer able to reach your webcam from the outside? Did you check this?

and I just want to be able to watch what's going on with the webcam, so I don't do any heavy uploading.
    I am no expert in this field, but IMHO watching a live webcam can be considered a heavy uploading from the viewpoint of your router.
    Brubber

WL-500g, WL-138g, WL-160g