Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NoCatSplash

NoCatSplash

Do you think it could be possible to integrate NoCatSplash in an Asus WL-500g?
    I think it could be trivial but i would like to know if someone already tried it and what was the result.

It would be great if it works...

Re: NoCatSplash

Originally posted by hagar
    Do you think it could be possible to integrate NoCatSplash in an Asus WL-500g?
    I think it could be trivial but i would like to know if someone already tried it and what was the result.

It would be great if it works...
    No it does not work, while loading it generates the following errors:

# ./splashd
    Message: Read 33 config items from /tmp/splash/etc/nocat.conf

** WARNING **: Got command /tmp/splash/libexec/initialize.fw from action ResetCm
    d
    iptables v1.2.6a: can't initialize iptables table `mangle': Table does not exist
    (do you need to insmod?)
    Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
    iptables v1.2.6a: can't initialize iptables table `mangle': Table does not exist
    (do you need to insmod?)
    Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
    iptables v1.2.6a: Couldn't load match `mark':/usr/local/lib/iptables/libipt_mark
    .so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.
    iptables v1.2.6a: Couldn't load match `mark':/usr/local/lib/iptables/libipt_mark
    .so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

etc etc

Nocatsplash

That means that i'll need the iptables_mangle module loaded as well as some missing parts of iptables.

Probably a kernel recompile is needed

If its only that issue, i think it can be done.

Re: Re: NoCatSplash

Originally posted by bramfm
    No it does not work, while loading it generates the following errors
    I suppose you installed the NoCatSplash in accordance with this instruction:
    http://nocat.net/~rob/wrt54g/

Re: Re: Re: NoCatSplash

Originally posted by Technik
    I suppose you installed the NoCatSplash in accordance with this instruction:
    http://nocat.net/~rob/wrt54g/
    Yes. Iptables is complaining, I do not see any additional config for iptables in the package. It seems, correct me if I am wrong, the implementation of iptables is different in the WRT54G compaired to the WL500g. Please try it yourself, maybe I am doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bramfm
    Yes. Iptables is complaining, I do not see any additional config for iptables in the package. It seems, correct me if I am wrong, the implementation of iptables is different in the WRT54G compaired to the WL500g. Please try it yourself, maybe I am doing something wrong.
    Strange. Today I've tried to install NocatSplash on Asus with custom software 1.9.2.7-cr3c - looks it working as expected (my connection is pptp)
    Had not enough time to check it in details, but I've got no warnings.

So it goes.
    Roofcat

Splash Page

Hi there,

So is it official that the WL500g can perform redirect with NOCAT Splash?

If so can you let me know how you did it as I am not all that technical? Do you have a firmware update that I could upload to make the splash work?

Cheers,

Niall

I'm also interested in this. But the webpage at http://nocat.net/~rob/wrt54g/ is gone (at least it's not working now)
    MrMagu, Oslo, Norway

Hello,
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall
    Hi there,

So is it official that the WL500g can perform redirect with NOCAT Splash?

If so can you let me know how you did it as I am not all that technical? Do you have a firmware update that I could upload to make the splash work?

Cheers,

Niall
    Definetely it is NOT official, it is just experimantal observation

Some deltails on installation (that was some time ago) - I've used 1.9.2.7-CR3C Oleg's custom software and copy of NoCatSplash for wrt54g from here
    As far as I recall, I simply copied archive to asus box, ungzipped and untarred it to admin home dir (actually file downloaded is "tgz-inside-tgz", and I used second one with binaries) , checked and corrected .conf file and started splashd from sbin subdir. After that attempt to reach http://www.google.com/ brought Nocatsplash page and hitting continue button on it brought me straight to Google.

As I understand NoCatSplash is very simple captive portal version without any authorization (it is just page where you can read Accepted Use Policy and one button to continue). So it may not be really suitable for "realworld" applications.

HTH
    Roofcat

Nocat Splash

Thanks Roofcat,

I will give it a go... It would be great if it could be combined with the RADIUS client features on the router. I will try and get the ASUS guys to have a look for the comercial aspect of it.

Cheers

Niall

Hi

I am very intrerrested in this. The compilation of the splashd on the asus is no problem. He calls 3 differrent scripts which then to the iptables handling, and here i see the problem. Is the asus still updating the iptables regularly from file ? Because this will overwrite the settings and a way hase to be found to intrate the splashd addet routes into this update mechanism...

I have no knowledge about iptables and neither found a simple introducion into it, maybe someone here knows one ?

Greets
    My Stuff: WL-500g, Mapower H31x 10GB HD, Philips Webcam Vesta PRO, TerraTec Webcam PRO, USB Hub

Just a thought - put all required iptables changes to the script called by post-firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Just a thought - put all required iptables changes to the script called by post-firewall.
    Oleg,

As I see it - NocatSplash makes changes dynamically. Àfter it sees new (previously unknown) Wireless client (MAC address), it then first redirects all 80 and 8080 ports connections from it to its own httpd server, presents some splash (AUP and button accept) and after pressing "Accept" modifies iptables to allow this MAC address access Web. Because of that post-firewall will be not enogh

WlanMan, I see no problem in splashd updating iptables dynamically - it just runs iptables as admin can do from shell script or command prompt. The only problem I see may occure when WAN connection is down and then back up - in this case as post-firewall script will be executed again, it may disrupt splashd rules. But this should not be often normally and main disadvantage will be presenting AUP once again to users.

Concerning Iptables guide - I found Netfilter site extremely useful.

Hope it helps,
    Regards,
    Roofcat

I mean you should both alter post-firewall and dynamically add new iptables entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    I mean you should both alter post-firewall and dynamically add new iptables entry.
    Hi

Someone here who has expirience in this ??
    I´m highly interrested...

Oleg, at which point is the reloading of the rules needet in the asus way of network setup, cant it be eliminated ?

Greets
    My Stuff: WL-500g, Mapower H31x 10GB HD, Philips Webcam Vesta PRO, TerraTec Webcam PRO, USB Hub

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast