View Poll Results: Do you feel the need for a HOWTO on compiling your own modules?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm interested and could use such a HOWTO

21 77.78%
  • Yes, I'm interested and are willing to contribute my knowledge

6 22.22%
  • No, I'm not interested in compiling my own modules

0 0%
  • No, I'm 1337 so I don't need that

0 0%

Thread: Compilation HOWTO for modules useful?

Compilation HOWTO for modules useful?

The community around the WL-500g and WL-HDD seems to be rapidly growing. This means a lot of questions and contributions. Some of the questions I reguraly come across are:

"How do I compile module thisandsuch?"

"I've compiled a program but now its missing something from lib.so, what am I doing wrong?"

etc.

So I was thinking in creating a WIKI page for everyone to contribute his/her knowledge on how to compile new modules. This page will only work when sufficient people participate. Thats why I started this survey.

Tell me here what you think of this. You can post compilation info here as well.

Update: Build Environment HowTo by Macsat
    Last edited by Styno; 08-11-2005 at 21:52.

I'm also very interested in this how to, specially because of the different toolchain available now. I think the firmware compilation process is clearly explained, even if it lacks info on how to add or modify things, it's enough to get started.

On the other side, they are multiple posts on how to compile a specific program, and most rely on using the correct toolchain, and modifying the makefile. Why should we use mipsel -linux or mipsel-uclib is still a mistery for me.

I think a few info would be enough, but at least something that is not an answer about a specific program would be enough.

I use teach any language using an Hello world kind of example. This is probably what's missing the most. maybe there can be 2 step, for program with standard library, and programs with specific library.

As an example, I tryed to compile netcat (the full one, not the busybox one) because there was no complex library involved. The compilation went fine, but the binary always give a -sh: ./netcat: not found
    error message that I know is not a missing LD_LIBRARY_PATH problem.

I cannot help for making the technical part of the tutorial, but I can write things if they are explained brifly to me, and also help providing a roadmap for it.

Its been a month since the poll started and its time to make some conclusions.

It seems there's demand for some HOWTO on compiling software for the WL-500g. And, most important, some ppl are willing to contribute (This is very important because I alone will not be able to create a helpful document.... )

So now I/we have to start thinking about how to put such a HOWTO together. Also there is allready a lot of info spread out over numerous topics here on this forum which need the be gathered.

If there's anyone with relevant info on compiling stuff for the WL-500g or ideas for this 'project' please PM it to me or post it here. I'll try and keep you all posted on the progress...

Thumbs up

Hello,

I'm very interested in this howto...
    I would like to compile not only a few hardware modules, but also some apps... like "wget" ...

what would be really cool was to be able to compile and run a P2P file share program on the WL500g with an external usb-hd....

Quote Originally Posted by gwl
    Hello,

I'm very interested in this howto...
    I would like to compile not only a few hardware modules, but also some apps... like "wget" ...

what would be really cool was to be able to compile and run a P2P file share program on the WL500g with an external usb-hd....
    Well you'd better use the search next time.''

wget is part of the full busybox which can be found in the download section.

giFT is a filesharing deamon which runs on the WL-500g, there's a topic about is here also.

aaaaand, wget is in the last custom firmware allright, so downloading works.
    My Stuff: WL-500g, Mapower H31x 10GB HD, Philips Webcam Vesta PRO, TerraTec Webcam PRO, USB Hub

any news regarding this howto ?
    [ WL-500G | fw: 1.9.2.7-7f ]

Macsat has created a howto for creating optware (ikpg packages used on WL-500g and Linksys NSLU2).

You can find the howto here: http://www.macsat.com/BuildEnvironment.php

For just a simple HelloWorld program you can follow part of Macsat's howto: http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=22732&postcount=3 as provided by Jean Fabrice.
    Last edited by Styno; 08-11-2005 at 21:49.

I would also be interested in this, I've actually tried to compile a modified usbserial module, patched to support high speed serial devices such as UMTS/EVDO modems (as described at http://www.junxion.com/opensource/li...usbserial.html) but I must be missing something since the modules compile but they give various Oopses when loaded.

When i try this command:
    cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/nslu co unslung

I got an timeout error! Are these files moved or what is the problem?

see trac.nslu2-linux.org for more info