Thread: _general_ WLAN access problems

_general_ WLAN access problems

hello,

i don't know what problem my asus wl-500g router has..

i can't get a good working, stable wlan connection (measured it with constant pings on the routers ip adress, e.g. ping 192.168.1.1 -t).
    the result of this broken connection is:

Antwort von 192.168.1.1: Bytes=32 Zeit=2239ms TTL=128
    Antwort von 192.168.1.1: Bytes=32 Zeit=234ms TTL=128
    timeout
    Antwort von 192.168.1.1: Bytes=32 Zeit=2239ms TTL=128
    timeout

and so on ...

i tried with different wlan-cards (asus w100g pcmcia / intel 2200 bg centrino-notebook), with or without encyprtion (wep / wpa-psk / no encryption) but NOTHING works.

at least i went to the shop where i bought the router and got a new one (only the router, not the antenna or power supply).

so i installed the new router and.... same problem

i read several threads in this forum, but the only thread that looks like my problem is that one about problems with the external antenna of the router.

yesterday i tried for several hours to get a good workin connection. so i placed the router ca. 4 meters beside my wlan notebook and connected to it to the wlan. again i pinged the router with "ping 192.168.1.1 -t" an looked at the response times. as it was constantly 2ms i thought i now had a stable wlan.
    but then i touched the router and the connection broked. i touched the router again and touched the antenna, and then the connection was there. touched it serveral times and connection enabled <-> connection disabled.

because this is my second router now i think the antenna is damaged.

could this be or should i first try some new firmwares or anything else ?
    does somebody experienced this kind of connection problems with the asus wl-500g or any other wlan product? could it be a damaged antenna?

thanks for help!

greetz pm_tilt

Quote Originally Posted by pm_tilt
    could this be or should i first try some new firmwares or anything else ?
    does somebody experienced this kind of connection problems with the asus wl-500g or any other wlan product? could it be a damaged antenna?
    i suggest replacing antenna, you are the second one I heard of.. so this is not a normal behaviour of the wl500g

also try it WITHOUT any antenna and at a short distance (1 meter or so).. nothing should happend when you 'touch' the router then

allthough it should keep connection with no problems

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

at first thanks for fast answer!

so i tried your possible solutions, took of the antenna, placed my asus w1n notebook beside the router (in default mode) and pinged it ....

damn it. nothing happend. looks like its connected good. status tools on my notebook says superiour connection but still only every 2nd ping gets an answer and at least the mean response time is above 1000ms !!

so i loaded the latest official firmware, flashed it (via cable ), did a hardware reset (as asus support site says), and tried on ...

still no stable connection possible. with or without antenna, near or far (1m - 5m - 10m)

a friend of mine told me to fix the ap to channel 6 because mobile (house) phones (DECT-standard) uses the same 2,4 ghz band as wlan. but also this solution doesn't work.

then i tried to get a second antenna to try, but the local computer stores in my town only sell extra antennas for about 70€ and that is quite what the router costs. no goog idea to buy one just to try it.

at least i am at the end of my knowledge. should i replace the router a third time? perhaps the shop i returned it first sent me my original one instead of replace it..

does anyone has an idea or possible solution?
    i want to go online without wires!!

greetz pm_tilt

You could also try to set the "interference mitigation mode" using the wl utility.
    Code:
    wl interference i
    (possible values for i: 0, 1, 2, 3)
    My wlan connection (to a 3CRWE777A) didn't work well straight out of the box - I have to use
    Code:
    wl interference 2
    Maybe there's something wrong with the your antenna diversity setting - try
    Code:
    wl antdiv 0; wl txant 0
    Last edited by wtzm; 07-10-2004 at 18:37.

thank you for reply!

i will try that as soon as i am home again..

but my knowledge isn't as good as i understand your settings.
    could you explain that a little bit more so that i know what i am configuring or can you post a link where these settings are explained?

thanx! pm_tilt

First of all you need a possibility to execute commands - for example ssh, telnet or the Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp page (I suppose you have already known this )
    If you execute wl you'll get a short description of the available options (the following lines are only an excerpt):

interference
    Get/Set interference mitigation mode. Choices are:
    0 = none
    1 = non wlan
    2 = wlan manual
    3 = wlan automatic

I really don't know what the interference option does, but I observed that I have to set it to "2" to make my wlan work reliably.

antdiv Set antenna diversity for rx
    0 - force use of antenna 0
    1 - force use of antenna 1
    3 - automatic selection of antenna diversity

txant Set the transmit antenna
    0 - force use of antenna 0
    1 - force use of antenna 1
    3 - use the RX antenna selection that was in force during
    the most recently received good PLCP header

AFAIK antdiv and txant select which antenna is used for receiving and sending; one antenna is external and the other one is a circuit loop on the pcb of the mini-pci card inside the wl500g.