Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 75.00%
  • No

3 15.00%
  • Maybe

2 10.00%
  • Its been done to death (if so, mail me the urls!)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Any interest

Question OT: Any interest

I have an Asus W300-G and I've been preparing a web site discussing its dissection and modification for a while.

I will soon be posting this up for comments, but I'd like to get a feel for the number of wl300-g users out there.

I have done a hardware analysis, dissected the firmware and am in the process of patching the code to add extra functions (telnetd as a start).

But, is there anybody but me using it ?

tim

[EDIT: url of site is
    http://www.fizzle.org.uk/index.html]
    Last edited by trmatthe; 11-01-2004 at 04:04.

i think not much people are interrested in the wl300g anymore,
    because of the difference in the pricing of those 2 (wl300g/wl500g) they don't differ that much.. €10 or something

and the wl500g has much more to offer because of the usb/lpt port

I´d be interested. My WL-300G is so damned unstable that I can´t even do a FW update. Have to solve that first....

-KJ

Stability ?

What do you mean by unstable ? Mine has been rock solid. I don't mean to cast doubt about our tech skills, but they are a bit of a git to configure.

Let us know some more details on your stability problems.

Given the huge lack of response I didn't do much work on my reverse engineering. However, I am almost ready to add a telnetd to the firmware so it might help in your troubleshooting.

Tim

Unstable as in interfaces (ethernet and wireless) crashing after a few bytes of traffic. (Yes, bytes, not kilo- or mega- bytes.)

I've setup quite a few wireless networks using many brands of equipment, and the only brand I've seen these problems on is ASUS.

I had a WL-500g that did the same thing, but less frequent. The WL-300g simply crashes 20 out of 21 boots. I've tried it all, and I give up. It's RMA time. Guess I'll ask for LinkSys instead.

-KJ

Originally posted by jevel
    Unstable as in interfaces (ethernet and wireless) crashing after a few bytes of traffic. (Yes, bytes, not kilo- or mega- bytes.)

I've setup quite a few wireless networks using many brands of equipment, and the only brand I've seen these problems on is ASUS.

I had a WL-500g that did the same thing, but less frequent. The WL-300g simply crashes 20 out of 21 boots. I've tried it all, and I give up. It's RMA time. Guess I'll ask for LinkSys instead.

-KJ
    very strange, are u using asus stuff for your clients too ? or another crappy brand

Clents haven't connected. I'm using wired connections to set it up when it happens.

(But if you want to know, my clients are 3COM, LinkSys, Apple and Intel.)

In my book ASUS is the crap brand here....

-KJ

My 500g works (128 bit WEP) with apple airport extreme, ibook and imac ethernet, old prism 2.5 802.11b-pc-card % Windows xp, windows xp-ethernet and a asus wl-300 as wlan client. It does work with apple airport (not extreme) using wep 64, it does not work with apple airport using wep 128 (but works with apple airport extreme and wep 128). It does not work with a intersil nitro notebook (medion 401xxx)

i'd be interested in some extra funcionality in the firmware.

for instance ; i'd be interested if there is some kind of logging hidden somewhere ... not just the currently logged on MACs, but all attempts to connect, successful or not ... and anything else that goes in the log (from what i read the WL-500g has something like that).

just saw on the ASUS site that they have GPL source code for firmware version 1.6.5.3 and 1.7.5.6 available for download ?!

the latest flash they offer is 1.6.4.7 ...

anybody here who can compile the code into a flashable version ??

Originally posted by Goner
    just saw on the ASUS site that they have GPL source code for firmware version 1.6.5.3 and 1.7.5.6 available for download ?!

the latest flash they offer is 1.6.4.7 ...

anybody here who can compile the code into a flashable version ??
    maybe (TRY IT AT YOUR RISK) you can flash the WL500g firmware into it.. don't touch too much regarding to options that the WL300g does not have.

Yes, this probably should work, but in the Access Point mode only. Try using firmware restoration tool to perform the upgrade.

Originally posted by Antiloop
    maybe (TRY IT AT YOUR RISK) you can flash the WL500g firmware into it.. don't touch too much regarding to options that the WL300g does not have.
    mmm, maybe when i feel really brave

i was hoping that 'trmatthe' still visits here and can do something with the code .. his site hasn't been updated since January and i can not find an e-mail address.

it's strange that ASUS releases the source code for new WL-300g firmware, but not the flashable version ... ?
    Last edited by Goner; 26-03-2004 at 16:02.

Where is the beta 1.6.5.3 firmware Tom used?

ref:
    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Review...D-WL300G-2.php

"Unfortunately, as I tried to run a simple Qcheck test—which requires a number of ports to be opened—I found none of the port forwarding options worked! I also found that no Internet functions worked (by using domain names at least) until I entered my ISP's DNS server IP address into the 300g's DHCP server page. Apparently the 192.168.1.1 default DNS IP handed out wasn't getting my wireless client hooked up with real DNS info.

Once I corrected the DNS IP problem, I was able to access the Internet. But it's clear from the other problems I found, that routing is not the strongest feature of the 300g.

NOTE: Shortly before I posted this review, ASUS sent me 1.6.5.3 BETA firmware to replace the version 1.6.4.7 latest release firmware that I tested with to see if it cured some of the problems I was seeing. I'm happy to report that it cured my port forwarding problem and clarified the Port Mapping / Virtual confusion (Port Mapping is now Port Triggering with an entry for Trigger port). "

maybe you can send me the WL300g beta firmware ?
    send it to -removed- and i'll put it as a download at this site

perhaps other people are waiting for it!

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast