Thread: NAS command line option from the WL-HDD

NAS command line option from the WL-HDD

okay by accident i discovered NAS finally gave me some options
    the NAS included in the WL500g serie keep its mouth shut..

to mention, NAS commands seem to differ a lot from version to version

Code:
    # nas
    Usage: nas [options]

-l    LAN interface name
            -i    Wireless interface name
            -k    Shared secret
            -m    0:Radius, 1:WPA, 2:WPA-PSK, default:Radius
            -g    WPA GTK rotation interval
            -h    RADIUS server IP address
            -p    RADIUS server UDP port
            -s    Service Set Identity
            -w    Cryptographic algorithm

The -l <lan> option must be present first and then followed by -i <wl> ... options for each wireless interface

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Hm, if I try NAS nothing happens, but NAS with an parameter returns an error. What will NAS (Network Attached Storage??) do for my network?
    Code:
    /mnt/ramfs/local/root # nas
    /mnt/ramfs/local/root # nas -?
    Unknown application/Argument list. Quitting...
    firmware 1.7.5.9 CR5

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    Hm, if I try NAS nothing happens, but NAS with an parameter returns an error. What will NAS (Network Attached Storage??) do for my network?
    Code:
    /mnt/ramfs/local/root # nas
    /mnt/ramfs/local/root # nas -?
    Unknown application/Argument list. Quitting...
    firmware 1.7.5.9 CR5
    perhaps it means this: Network Authentication Service (NAS).

anyway it is serving at least all WPA-PSK authentication over wireless
    in other words, if some encryption does not work either NAS is broken or the options given TO NAS is broken
    Last edited by Antiloop; 03-11-2004 at 01:32.

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Aaarrggghh to those three letter acronyms.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    perhaps it means this: Network Authentication Service (NAS).

anyway it is serving at least all WPA-PSK authentication over wireless
    in other words, if some encryption does not work either NAS is broken or the options given TO NAS is broken
    There are two versions of the nas app we have seen in the Linksys source code releases. This application is written by Broadcom and should be common to all releases with the same kernel and uClibc. We found the following params apply to the above version of nas -

-S|-A = AUTHENTICATOR or as SUPPLICANT mode
    -m N = WPA authorization mode (N = 0: none, 1: 802.1x, 2: WPA PSK, 255: disabled)
    -w N = security mode bitmask (N = 1: WEP, 2: TKIP, 4: AES)
    -k psk_key
    -s ssid
    -g rekeying_interval

The nas app can also be invoked via the symlinks nas4not and nas4wds and when doing so the nas app will respond to 802.1x requests on the supplied interface (WDS or wLAN). This version of nas appears to have broken supplicant (i.e. client mode) support.

The new version of nas has a completely different command set and is designed to allow separate keys on all registered links. We currently use it in our latest build to allow separate WPA keys for WDS links. This version requires the newer wireless driver and kernel released with the Linksys 2.04.4 G and 2.09.1 GS source trees.
    Last edited by Antiloop; 03-11-2004 at 01:35.

Is this some kind of RADIUS authentication server or does this just provide different keys for WLAN?

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    Is this some kind of RADIUS authentication server or does this just provide different keys for WLAN?
    possibility to use in combination with a radius server yes

some background info:
    wpa uses radius for example, to authenticate at user level with dynamic passwords (as they are feed to the radius server)

wpa-psk (pre-shared-key) words says enough

What if wlan is unstable?

Hi,

My wlan is very unstable. I'm using a dothan-based notebook with an inter integrated wireless card to connect to my wl500g. But after a couple of days, the connection to wlan is refused. I've even started restarting the nas process to simulate a restart, but even that doesn't work.

The greatest mystery is that the the network itself is announced, I can see its SSID on my notebook, but if I try to connect, I get completely useless error messages (like unable to connect). There is nothing in the logs on the router, either.

Any ideas?