Thread: Web Access from WAN doesn't work

Web Access from WAN doesn't work

Hi guys,
    please help to solve my nightmare, I have WL500gx behind the ASUS TI4631
    ADSL router and I can access it from WAN by no way. I am sure I have the ports forwarded well in the TI4631 and that I have set the web access from WAN configured right on the WL500gx as well. When I am trying to access the web management interface of the WL500gx from WAN I get the login window with the name (Product ID) of that router, If I try to access it with wrong password I get the familiar violet screen of WL500gx with "401 Unauthorized-Authorization required" so I am in, but if I input right name and password, then the IE session hangs up with blank screen and no response. ANY idea highly appreciated. FW ot he WL500gx is 1.9.5.0, FW of TI4631 is 3.6.0C_3W00. Thanks in advance.

Web access from WAN

Help please, this damned isssue is still unsolved and I can't believe I am the only one around the world with this problem. I need that access urgently, because there is huge problem in wireless distribution of ADSL connectivity and I have to try to analyze it by accessing that router remotely.
    Thanks anyone for advice in advance!

Remote management

I wonder if I am asking for solution what no one is able to provide or if this is the issue what nobody have met yet? How should I ask to get any response? I am really puzzled with this and with some other really strange WL500Gx's behavior.

Well, I don't have any idea about the source of your problem. However, wan access to the web-IF is anyway bad idea. If you are able to connect to the router by ssh from wan, then I suggest to establish ssh-tunnel, and you will have secure external access to the web-IF . However it will be treated by router as a lan access.

Google on ssh-tunnel using putty.

Remote management

yippee, thanks for reaction, I am not sure if I described my troubles understandable way enough. I need to access the web management interface of the WL500gX which is behind ADSL router from the internet (WAN) side. Why do You think the web-IF of the WL500gX is bad idea? I assume that by IF You mean interface. Generally FW of the WL500gX is made to enable to manage it remotely via web interface from the internet as well, isn't it?

I need to access the web management interface of the WL500gX which is behind ADSL router from the internet (WAN) side.

Do you mean that on ADSL router you also have NAT and it doesn't have ssh-server?

If yes, than additionally port for ssh should be forwarded on the ADSL router

Why do You think the web-IF of the WL500gX is bad idea?

It is not secure way at all. All the data (including passwords) will be transferred unencrypted, and you have to rely on the safety of the non-standard httpd which was written by asus itself. Do you expect something good from it? I no.

I assume that by IF You mean interface.

yes, web-IF = web management interface. It's just a bit shorter.

Generally FW of the WL500gX is made to enable to manage it remotely via web interface from the internet as well, isn't it?

who knows... I never tried it directly.

Once again, the method I mentioned in my previous post will allow you to connect to your web-IF from internet (WAN) in a safe way + it will resolve your problem ( at least, I believe )

Yes, ADSL router has the NAT switched ON but I have no idea what ssh is and for what I should need it, I just remember slightly that it has something to do with the Linux kernel in the ASUS FW. I am linux uninitiated and I don't want to study it at the moment too much, I only necessarily need to reset WL500gX sometimes and to watch the momentarily established and authorized wifi connections. No comand line, no preference of security )

Remote management

Yes, ADSL router has the NAT switched ON but I have no idea what ssh is and for what I should need it, I just remember slightly that it has something to do with the Linux kernel in the ASUS FW. I am linux uninitiated and I don't want to study it at the moment too much, I only necessarily need to reset WL500gX sometimes and to watch the momentarily established and authorized wifi connections. No comand line, no preference of security )