Thread: Permissions problem?

Permissions problem?

I've followed the tutorials using the olegs fw and am able to access my router through ssh using putty. However, when using vista (now on this pc, and xp on my laptop) I do get to see the router as a device and/or systemresource but I cannot connect to it (well... I can via http to config the router itself and I can via putty) through windows explorer, which would be nice so I could copy and move files through/from/to/over the network. When I double click the asusrouter icon in explorer an error appears stating the UNC path of the router (\\ASUSROUTER in my case) and that it is not accessible. An RPC error has occured. Contact the admin etc etc... In the message it states I might not have access permissions.

And I don't know how this all works actually......
    My username I use for logging into the router via http for webinterface config is admin, and the username for logging into the router via ssh using putty is also admin.

My windows user accounts have different names alltogether. Should that be an issue? And if so.... how do I set the permissions during boottime of the router so that the smbshare or other shared directories are available for everyone on every system?

I'm not able right now, but I'm curious to see if I get access to the router via explorer when I create a useraccount on my vista and xp boxes using the admin name and the same password.

Can anyone please shed some light on this? Accessing the box through ssh is fine, but moving files over the network through windows explorer would be so nice.....

I guess you are using the original samba version.
    This version is not compatible with vista. You can upgrade to a newer version (disable in webinterface and install with ipkg) or you can modify a registry key in vista to make it use "the old style". Do a search in the forum. This was discussed before.

wengi

i will do a search... well, I already did of course but it came up "empty". I'll look again though. Thanks for the response. I doubt that I am using the "original" samba version (i assume by that you mean the version that came with the routers fw) since I installed another samba version through olegs tutorial page if I remember correctly.