Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: connect into router using telnet?

Question connect into router using telnet?

Hi People...I've just bought this nice wl500g router and I have been reading trought these post but being new to this I could not find the right awsers to the questions I have.

Because I have diffuculties with configuring my firewall throught the web interface, I though upgrading the custom firmware WL300g-1.8.1.7-3.trx might give me the possibility to configure it the normal way through iptables.

I keep reading that I should login my router using telnet, but I cannot seem to figure out how this should be done. For telnetting, the telnet port should be open, but I can't find where I should do this.

I know this is probably a very noob question, but I cannot seem to grasp how I get to the point that I can actually command line change stuff.

can somebody point me in the right direction?

Custom firmware has telnet port opened all the time at the LAN side, so just type
    telnet your_unit_ip

thanks for the quick reply!

telnet 192.168.1.1 gives back a "could not connect to host, on port 23" error. Same thing happens when I telnet to my static ip address.

When i do an nmap -P0 to my ip address i see the ports 21,80,515,1026 and 1027 open.

I know there must be something stupid I'm doing here, but I've spend hours trying to figure this out.

Well, are you absolutely sure, that you've flashed 1.8.1.7-3 successfully? Have you checked version after flashing?

I did a firmware upgrade in the webclient and rebooted, but it did not update the firmware version. It's still 1.8.1.9. Can you tell me a different way to check this because I do see changes, for instance the 2 ports 1026 and 1027 where not opened before, and when I type ls in the Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp I get the list of asp's and stuff used for the webclient, and this returned nothing before.

Your firmware was not upgraded/downgraded. Use firmware restoration tool to flash 1.8.1.7-3.

I've tried that and it comes back with the message "no wireless device in recovery mode is found"

I also turned off my router, turned it back on wile pushing the reset button, but the i get "no valid ip address" (or somthing like that). The i reset the machine again and I get the same error as I started out with.

Anything I'm doing wrong here?

Quote Originally Posted by artonice
    I've tried that and it comes back with the message "no wireless device in recovery mode is found"

I also turned off my router, turned it back on wile pushing the reset button, but the i get "no valid ip address" (or somthing like that). The i reset the machine again and I get the same error as I started out with.

Anything I'm doing wrong here?
    yes read manual on how to restore firmware:

set ALWAYS a static IP at your client, and connect using wires otherwise firmware upgrade will fail or will get interrupted

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

I connected my laptop to the wl500g by a cable, with a static ip address 192.168.1.2 and mask 255.255.255.0

I've powercycled the the router while pressing the restore button
    pwr led is blinking
    start firmware restoration utility
    browse to the WL300g-1.8.1.7-3.trx file
    push upload (pwr led stops blinking)
    connect to the wireless device... (1,2 - 31 secs)
    No wireless device in recovery mode is found.
    Did a restore and tried again (to clean up any firewall settings which might cause things to fail)
    did a powercycle and tried again
    upgraded utilities and tried again
    restored original utilities tried again

I've restored all my settings now, to get back here meaning my connection works.

I'm really at the end of what I know I can do to solve this...any other hints&tips?
    Last edited by artonice; 08-12-2004 at 11:45.

Just wait until WinXP assigns you IP address from the 169.254.x.x range or assign address manually BEFORE running firmware restoration.

Thumbs up

success!!

first of all..thank you for your help antiloop and oleg

second..to all you people how are used to working with non windows systems...when stuff doesn't seem to be working in XP...just reboot you pc, and problems vanish like snow for the sun

very strange, but rebooting has solved the problem

connetion to telnet established...I'll go and do my things now

success!!

first of all..thank you for your help antiloop and oleg

second..to all you people how are used to working with non windows systems...when stuff doesn't seem to be working in XP...just reboot you pc, and problems vanish like snow for the sun

connetion to telnet established...I'll go and do my things now
    ps I see you are using a WL300g version of the firmware, unless you really know what you are doing I do not recommend using firmwares not designed for WL500g

grab WL500g 1.8.1.7-3 instead, WL300g is a little different as it does not have USB support in the websetup

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Red face

oeps..didn't even see that. Thanks for the warning!

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    ps I see you are using a WL300g version of the firmware, unless you really know what you are doing I do not recommend using firmwares not designed for WL500g

grab WL500g 1.8.1.7-3 instead, WL300g is a little different as it does not have USB support in the websetup
    Confused a bit. wl300g custom is also available - there is no need to use wl500g version.

Yes, as they say in German:

'Ein reboot macht alles wieder gut'

And for once I agree with the Germans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast