Thread: Newbie stoopid question: Can't get LAN connection on WL-500gx with DSL PPPoE

Newbie stoopid question: Can't get LAN connection on WL-500gx with DSL PPPoE

Really sorry if this is answered somewhere else, but I can't figure out my problem. When I initially got my WL-500gx and set it up in Windows XP to connect through my Westell DSL router using PPPoE (Home Gateway mode, dynamic IP, DHCP server on), I had both WLAN and LAN connections, whenever I wanted them.

Now I'm on a new computer with Vista and I can't get a LAN connection. I have another laptop with XP and I can't get one there, either. I can connect directly through my LAN port to the modem with a Windows PPPoE dial-up connection, and if I set "Enable PPPoE Relay" to on and am also connected through my wireless, I seem to also be able to connect with my LAN port through the WL-500gx, but if I disconnect the wireless I also lose the LAN connection. I never had that setting enabled before, anyway. When it worked in the past, I didn't have any dial-up connection in Windows.

I am running the next-to-last custom firmware 1.9.2.7-7f. Oh, I also have my wireless MAC address configured for manual IP assignment. I don't think that's part of the problem, since it's been that way for a while.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm really a bonehead when it comes to understanding this stuff.

OK, after all that, I disabled "Enable PPPoE Relay" and now my LAN is working. What on earth did I actually do?