Thread: Auto Shut-off / Sleep mode with External HDD?

Auto Shut-off / Sleep mode with External HDD?

I am looking to buy the ASUS WL-500G Premium. I am also looking to set up a NAS device using my new router. Instead of buying a NAS box, I want to buy a regular external enclosure (w/ SATA) and hook it up to the router. The tricky part of this is that I want to turn on the external HDD and forget about it. I need to have an enclosure with an auto shut-off feature. I think I found a couple good ones:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817198004
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817106097

Now for the big question: If I hook up one of these boxes to the ASUS router, will it put the HDD on idle when its not in use? I certainly do not want the disk to be spinning 24/7.

Thank you for any help

-John

Hard disk "on" all the time

Hi I have ASUS WL-500gP with 5 computers on it. Firmware is Oleg's firmware 1.9.2.7-10. I also bought a Hittachi 1TB harddisk which is connected to ASUS and shared over Samba to all computers.
    What is disturbing me is that disk is always on. I hear the sounds from it 24 hours a day and the light is blinking. First I thought that this is because something is always down or uploading from the disk. But then I paused all transfers with "Transmission Web interface", but the disc still spins and blinks. Why?

Any suggestions?

Bojan

All what is running on your asus writes something to log files periodically. Thus this will keep your harddisk awake.

You might consider using a small silent harddisk to put your running programs on, or a usb stick (wears out)

Thanks, but I'm not sure about it. I have another external noname hard disc connected to my desktop PC for about 3 years and it is about 50 cm from my head. Everything I hear is a mild buzzing sound.
    I use Hittachi only for storage and there should not be any running programs as I know.
    As a matter of fact I would like the disk to go to sleep when nothing is read or written from/on it...
    BK
    Last edited by klebsiela; 05-02-2011 at 08:18. Reason: forget to add something

i think hdparm can do it, but you need the oleg firmware

Hello John,

I guess, that after few years, you've found out the way how to manage a NAS functionality directly on router..
    My question is, does your ASUS router support the sleep mode? I bougth e4200 yesterday and I'm sad to say, that it also doestn support sleep mode...

thank you

have a look at this topic:
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=7836