Thread: Very unstable connection :(

Very unstable connection :(

Hello,

I had some problems with my WL500g connecting to a FTP server on the net, so i thougt let's upgrade my firmware (still had standard). So i upgraded to 1.8.1.9. But i didn't reset the thing well, could not login. I resetted the thing again and it worked.

Then the problems came, my connection is sooo unstable now...often i lose internet connection and i have to power off/on the router and it works again for a few hours.

When i'm using the router and do some tests, this is what i get:
    Resultaten van http://www.speedtest.nl
    (Overgenomen op Sun Sep 19 2004 om 17:56:02 UTC+0200)

Download : 109.2 KByte/sec
    Upload : 40.6 KByte/sec
    Connection : 54.0 Conn/min
    Ping test Nederland : 55.0 ms

Like download alternates between 50kb and 130 kb all the time...

When i put one computer directly to the internet i get this:
    Resultaten van http://www.speedtest.nl
    (Overgenomen op Sun Sep 19 2004 om 18:02:45 UTC+0200)

Download : 203.4 KByte/sec
    Upload : 98.6 KByte/sec
    Connection : 678.0 Conn/min
    Ping test Nederland : 23.0 ms

So i uploaded the latest firmware again now with a good reset of the router...still got the same problems.

This is driving me crazy!!

Can anyone help me please! Or what other good (older firmware can i use..and how?
    Last edited by Lippy; 19-09-2004 at 18:04.

Are you connecting via wireless to the router? If so, repeat measurements using direct Ethernet link between PC and router.

Yes i'm connected through ethernet.

which provider are you using?

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Static IP

If your modem is configured correctly you may consider using a fixed IP in your router WAN IP setup. Use a free IP in the subnet of your modem. If you are a using a speedtouch with default settings you may use 10.0.0.150 for WAN IP, 255.255.255.0 for subnetmask and 10.0.0.138 for default gateway.

If this does'nt work or you 've already tried it consider posting some more details about your hardware, connection, settings and other relevant info.

Speedtest.nl is certainly not the best way to test your connection speed. Nuria, http://www.nuria.nl , gives more reproducible results
    Brubber

WL-500g, WL-138g, WL-160g

Eweka... (BBned)

But why are you asking things like it isn;t in the thingy....it was perfect before...why not now?

Some more info:

uhmmmm Eweka 2048/1024 ADSL
    I tested it from my laptop (acer centrino) al the other pc's in the network (3 more) were off. So none could bother the test. (all on the WL500g).
    ADSL modem = Telindus (orso) thingy

But like i said i never had problems..always nice and quick...only after the story of my first post..

Driving me nuts...did some tests with Nuria (1152kbit download) and 216kbit upload..not normal

driving me nuts!
    Last edited by Lippy; 20-09-2004 at 21:34.

Talking

Sorry, missed the first part of your post.

Speed is indeed very low for 2048/1024 connection.

Is this measured using the WL-500g or with a direct connection?

Is there any diff. between direct conn. or through the WL-500g? (Using Nuria)

I use firmware 1.6.5.3 (out of the box), for me it's very stable, has been up and running for more then 2 months (that's how long ago I bought it) with no problem whatsoever

Perhaps you should also consider having a peek at this thread:

https://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=822
    Last edited by Antiloop; 21-09-2004 at 08:18. Reason: adjusted thread link to use [thread][/thread]
    Brubber

as you also could read at my first post...the first results are WITH router and the second results are WITHOUT router (directly yes)...kinda the same as with Nuria.

Quote Originally Posted by Lippy
    as you also could read at my first post...the first results are WITH router and the second results are WITHOUT router (directly yes)...kinda the same as with Nuria.

I know, I have seen this kind of differences with speedtest.nl between two measurements within a 5 minute time span, that' s why I suggested Nuria. You posted only one result for Nuria.

If I were in your position I would seriously consider downgrading to a stable firmware. If you look at the topic https://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=822 you can see that the latest firmware is causing a lot of problems for different users
    Last edited by Antiloop; 21-09-2004 at 08:18. Reason: adjusted thread link to use [thread][/thread]
    Brubber

yeah...think i'll do that..

What firmware do you advise? (newer than the boxed one)?

Quote Originally Posted by brubber
    I know, I have seen this kind of differences with speedtest.nl between two measurements within a 5 minute time span, that' s why I suggested Nuria. You posted only one result for Nuria.

If I were in your position I would seriously consider downgrading to a stable firmware. If you look at the topic http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=822 you can see that the latest firmware is causing a lot of problems for different users
    hmm.. downloaded nuria too..

at time of test i'm using it as follow
    cable modem > wl500g (1) > 3com switch > (via wan) wl500g (2) > notebook

i'm also streaming XFM online so that takes a bit of bandwidth too..
    my speed measurement with Firmware 1.8.2.0 is with chello classic as follow 2203kbit/sec (8.6 points or something?) and 375kbit/sec (9.8 points..)

wl500g(1) is running firmware 1.7.5.9-5 and wl500g(2) is running 1.8.2.0

but i'm not using PPTP or something like that..
    and I asked for provider because chello uses QoS to cap FTP downloads etc..

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Quote Originally Posted by Lippy
    yeah...think i'll do that..

What firmware do you advise? (newer than the boxed one)?
    Pesonally I would to start with 1.6.5.3, that is if you don't need any of the features from a higher version. Antiloop (previous post in this thread) is using two newer version that apparently give little or no probs.
    Brubber

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    wl500g(1) is running firmware 1.7.5.9-5 and wl500g(2) is running 1.8.2.0
    Euh... I don't see fw 1.8.2.0 for download anywhere!
    So... could you suggest me a way to find it?

Quote Originally Posted by Spot
    Euh... I don't see fw 1.8.2.0 for download anywhere!
    So... could you suggest me a way to find it?
    it's in chinese.. so you won't like it anyway.
    but it's not available for download

Quote Originally Posted by brubber
    Speedtest.nl is certainly not the best way to test your connection speed. Nuria, http://www.nuria.nl , gives more reproducible results

I have downloaded this Nuria also, but I am in Norway. Is it of any help for me? Or where can I find a program like this that can be usable in Norway? Thanx.