Thread: WWW virtual server working but FTP not why?

Question WWW virtual server working but FTP not why?

Problem:

Operation system XP-SP2 slipstreamed. Firewall within XP port 80 and 20:21 off. No WL500g direct FTP server (USB) active. WWW and FTP IIS servers running. Within 192.x.x.x domain WWW and FTP accesable. On public IP only the WWW server is accessable and the FTP not. Autotent. on both also the same settings (anonymous access allowed). Virtual server active for 80 and 20:21. Why the f... is it not working. For the correct answer I will let you access my FTP server for downloading some items (if you want). Please help-me.

Check the ftp-server config

Have you checked the config of your FTP-Server ?

You could also try to set the IIS www service to point on port 21, vice versa, this way youo could aprove if the rules on wl500 or your IIS are causing the trouble.

Greetz
    Mirco

Unhappy

Mirco. I am open for your suggestion and tried it. However, same problem. In LAN the FTP-server is working in WAN not. And the WWW server is working in LAN and WAN. I tried as test poort 1234. but same problem? Is it possible that my ADSL supplier has blocked FTP, but passes WWW local servers? (I know that they block the option for mailserver.....

The FTP Protocol

Think your problem is ftp related, as ftp is not very NAT friendly, you should try using passive mode from WAN side.

Hope it work's

Greetz
    Mirco

Quote Originally Posted by mirco
    Think your problem is ftp related, as ftp is not very NAT friendly, you should try using passive mode from WAN side.
    No, you should use normal mode from WAN side. Have a look at http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html - nice explanation of FTP protocol behaviour and what ports must be open for both modes. If you want to support passive mode from WAN, you have to open ALL ports above 1024 (yes that is the price for the passive mode for server administrators).
    Not a solution, but I hope it helps.
    Yato
    PS. FTP is pretty old and unsecure protocol. Consider the replacement with HTTP for publishing and SSH for uploading.

Thumbs up I found it

I found it. When configuring the WINXP-SP2 firewall you must not program the 'pass-thru' port via the 'exceptions' tab of the firewall, but you must choose the 'advanced' tab and the 'setting' menu of the LAN (spelled) (should be enabled). At the services you add a description e/g/ 'FTP server' and the port you want to use for it. Now it works. So, HTTP can be arranged in the Exceptions tab, but the FTP must be handled in the 'advanged' tab. However, after some testing the HTTP can also be arranged in the 'advanged' tab.

Thanks.... Do you want to have streaming video on 1 or more ports... look for VLC and then also use the 'advanced' tab to enable 'pass-thru'. Works great.