Thread: USBCopy not working

USBCopy not working

Is anyone successfully using the usbcopy button with custom firmware?

Im inserting a 1gb disgo into the front usb port and expect the ready light to flash but it doesnt.
    pressing the usbcopy button does nothing. certainly nothing is appearing in the usbcopy folder.

however the usbdrive is mounted on /foreign_shares/USBDRIVE
    and can access the files on it fine.

can anyone provide details of how to check the signal from the button and what command it runs

thanks

I don't think the custom firmware kills the usb copy per-se. If I remember correctly, the watchdog application polls for the copy button being pressed. If you're killing watchdog within rc.local, this could be your problem

FWIW, it's pretty easy to write your own program to do this. Simply use a shell script to poll the state of '/proc/miscio/gpio_6' looking for it to change from '0' to '1'.

- K.C.

Ahh ok - I am killing watchdog as per your funky rc.local sample.
    Whats the issue with having watchdog running?
    And watchdog already have scripts which it kicks of on the gpio_6 signal which i coud use as template for a polling script equivlent.
    My Bash skills are pretty poor

Quote Originally Posted by adamhawkins View Post
    Ahh ok - I am killing watchdog as per your funky rc.local sample.
    Whats the issue with having watchdog running?
    And watchdog already have scripts which it kicks of on the gpio_6 signal which i coud use as template for a polling script equivlent.
    My Bash skills are pretty poor
    Watchdog is a hacky mess. It is a hodge-podge collection of poorly executed trinkets, all wrapped up in a monolithic executable, which attempt to make sure all asus applications, and included non-asus applications, are working properly.

In my particular case, one of these trinkets kept the HDD from entering into any of the low power modes. In another case, I witnessed watchdog get confused and kill processes that were clearly still functioning properly.

The source code for "watchdog" was distributed in 1.0.4.2 but is no longer available in 1.0.4.6 so fixing it is out of the question. Additionally, while reviewing the watchdog code, I remember visiting the the copy part and coming to the conclusion that it was very questionable. I'm sure you'd be better off creating your own script.

Finally, a feature like polling for the copy button and executing the copy function does not even belong in a program function called "watchdog" anyway.

All that being said, if the copy button is important to you, and you can live with the quirks of watchdog, then by all means let it run.

- K.C.
    Last edited by kfurge; 23-03-2007 at 23:52. Reason: Formatting

Wink

I think i'll write a script

cheers
    /adam