Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to setup and get Dropbear ssh working?

Dropbear

Hey i can connect the box using my dns address, although i get "login as: root
    root@bhavdp.ath.cp password:
    Access denied
    root@bhavdp.ath.cp password:
    "
    how do i set up username and password for ssh? thanks for the help

you have to use the user (you have made) in the usermanagment (WEBUI).

grat182

dropbear

hey thanks for the help, although i tired that and set up password in the config and made and tested a couple of users but i get the same error "login as: Bhavdip
    Bhavdip@192.168.1.1's password:
    Access denied
    Bhavdip@192.168.1.1's password:"
    i have made sure that it is the correct password although i get this error. thanks for any help!!

You're answer is probably sitting in the system log. You can read the log from the web interface or the logread command.

- K.C.

The answer depends on what you are doing. Above you were asking how to set-up dropbear, which is ssh-server. Your log shows that someone attempts to login to your box by ftp.

The most likely reason is that you have to use admin or root as user (I just checked, I also can't login to dropbear as regular user, while telnet is letting me to do that). Probably it is needed to record your user somewhere as allowed to login by ssh. To learn this question would be interesting for me too.

Dropbear

hey thanks for the help, although my log file just say's "
    Apr 14 21:12:07 dropbear[2542]: exit before auth (user 'root', 2 fails): Exited normally
    Apr 14 21:12:37 dropbear[2543]: user 'Bhavdip' has invalid shell, rejected
    Apr 14 21:12:40 dropbear[2543]: user 'Bhavdip' has invalid shell, rejected
    Apr 14 21:12:42 dropbear[2543]: user 'Bhavdip' has invalid shell, rejected
    Apr 14 21:12:44 dropbear[2543]: exit before auth (user 'Bhavdip', 6 fails): Exited normally

" which is telling me that i had my login failed, but i am assured i entered the right password. what else could i do to find my problem. Thank you aging.

the solution is really in your log. Which shell is assigned to your user in /etc/passwd ?

valid shells should be enumerated in the file /etc/shells My one now has:
    Code:
    /opt/bin/bash
    /opt/bin/tcsh
    which corresponds to a real list of shells I installed

Don't forget to add /etc/shells to /usr/local/.files to maintain your changes after reboot

Now I should say thank you that you found that, because after I did that I can login as different user with non-/bin/sh shell So, you can disregard my previous post

Dropbear help

hey thank you for your help, although i dont understand to much. lol i am a newbi at all this. Can you explain how i do this? because i typed in the code you gave me and i got "
    bash-3.2# opt/bin/tcsh
    bash: opt/bin/tcsh: No such file or directory
    " i know i am doing this wrong... although i dont know how to do it correctly. also my other question is you asked me to "add /etc/shells to /usr/local/.files " I really dont know how to do this. i Dont know how to open files in telnet, or how to use "VI" thanks for your help if u can show me these few things! thanks aging P.S you also said "Which shell is assigned to your
    user in /etc/passwd ?" how can i view that. thank you
    Last edited by Fullback; 15-04-2007 at 08:16. Reason: add information

type
    cat /etc/passwd

the last parameter in every line is your user's login shell

which firmware do you use --- oleg or asus-original?
    Last edited by al37919; 15-04-2007 at 08:32.

hey

Hey i use the custom firmware. Posted by Kfurge. Thank you for the reply
    P.S i typed in the code you gave me i got "cat /etc/passwd
    root::0:42000:root:/:/bin/sh
    Bhavdip:BhjjX/Gf9y2Wg:35000:42000:Bhavdip:/dev/null:/bin/false"

/bin/false is not a shell. When your user logs in, the system attempts to start /bin/false as a shell. The result is failure

/dev/null is also not the best choice for the home directory

Where did you get this user from? It's either too clever, or too stupid for me

So either login as root, or change /bin/false for /bin/sh (you can just edit /etc/passwd), or better create a new user using adduser utility (if necessary first install it)

Quote Originally Posted by al37919 View Post
    Don't forget to add /etc/shells to /usr/local/.files to maintain your changes after reboot
    I wish I would have read that line before I rebooted. Everything was working fine before the restart, but now I am locked out as my shell is invalid. I also made the mistake of disabling telnet before the reboot.

Any suggestions how I can log back into the device? I re-flashed this morning but it remembered all my settings :-/

Thank you for the help,
    Hacksaw.

Everything was working fine before the restart, but now I am locked out as my shell is invalid. I also made the mistake of disabling telnet before the reboot.
    Do you have access to the router through the web-interface?
    Which firmware do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by al37919 View Post
    Do you have access to the router through the web-interface?
    Which firmware do you use?
    I have access to the router through the web interface and through FTP (guest).

I am running WL700gE_1.0.4.6_kc_02a.nas.

The router is functioning perfectly. I have just lost shell access :-)

Hacksaw.

I should point out that I have also tried to reset to factory defaults. This didn't help either. I have tried to load the rc.local file back into MYSHARE1/web but this does not seem to get read either...

Hacksaw.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast