Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to setup and get Dropbear ssh working?

How to setup and get Dropbear ssh working?

Hi

I have installed dropbear using "ipkg install dropbear" and configure the rc.local to start up dropbear with "-s" option.

However, when I tried to ssh to it using putty, the system just prompt for my user id, and after that the putty window just closed automatically.

Is there anyway I could setup dropbear properly to enable ssh?

One thing that trips people up is not having their user shell listed in /etc/shells. I can't remember if this dropbear looks at /opt/etc/shells or /etc/shells. Adding this to rc.local will make it not matter:

ln -s /opt/etc/shells /tmp/shells

My /opt/etc/shells file has one line in it:

/opt/bin/bash

- K.C.

Hi

Thanks for the advice but my current configuration has already included the "ln -s /opt/etc/shells /tmp/shells" in the rc.local. Also my etc/shells contains the single line of /opt/bin/bash as well

Is there any other configuration that I should look at? Thanks.

Any clues sitting in your log files? Can you post the output of 'logread' after a failed login attempt.

- K.C.

Hi

I have executed the logread command after a failed dropbear login. Here's the output:

Mar 17 23:36:05 dropbear[4628]: exit before auth: Disconnect received

Any clue on what has gone wrong?

I'm running out of ideas. Any chance your user home directory does not exist or is not owned by the user with perms of 755?

- K.C.

i have modified the port (to another port) and then dropbear won't worked.

then i used the command chmod 755 /opt/home/yourusername and it worked.

this was the solution for me.

grat182

Dropbear

Hello, i have installed the Firmware successfully and got enhanced-ctorrent/ screen program to work perfectly. Although i have little knowledge what dropbear is and how to use it. I have installed dropbear although when i type in "opt/bin/dropbear" in putty i get the following output, "
    #
    # opt/bin/Dropbear
    opt/bin/Dropbear: not found" Can someone please give a good guide on what dropbear is and how to install, configure it correctly. My objective is that i would like to share my files over vis the internet , and connect to my router via telnet, from the internet so i can download torrents when i am not at home. Thank you for all your help, and i must say a great guide on how to set up enhanced-ctorrent it works great for me !

in my case it is sitting in /usr/sbin/dropbear
    if your one is in /opt/bin run it as /opt/bin/dropbear (start with / and dont use capital letters)

dropbear help

hey thanks for the help! although unfortunately i am still stuck at the same error as before, "
    # opt/bin/dropbear
    opt/bin/dropbear: not found
    #
    # usr/sbin/dropbear
    usr/sbin/dropbear: not found
    #
    # /opt/bin/dropbear
    /opt/bin/dropbear: not found
    #
    "
    it is still telling me that dropbear cannot be found, and i did install it, " opt/bin/ipkg install dropbear
    Package dropbear (0.48.1-1) installed in root is up to date.
    Nothing to be done
    Successfully terminated." so i know it is installed. but i have no idea what to do now... lol

ipkg install findutils
    find / -name dropbear

Dropbear help

Hey thanks for the help aging!! unfortunitly now i get another error installing the "findutils"
    # opt/bin/ipkg install findutils
    Installing findutils (4.2.30-1) to root...
    Nothing to be done
    An error ocurred, return value: 1.
    Collected errors:
    ERROR: The following packages conflict with findutils:
    busybox-links
    #
    """ THANK FOR YOUR HELP AGING!

No offence Fullback, but did you even try to figure this out on your own before giving up?

All I needed to do was type 'ipkg' and experiment with the different option combinations for about 2 minutes to get findutils to install:

ipkg -force-depends -force-overwrite install findutils

- K.C.

hey sorry

Hey thanks sorry i am not to good with the linux command line yet, i do apologize. Can you please show me how to use dropbear works or point me out a link to a step by step instruction? "# opt/bin/find -name dropbear
    ./opt/etc/dropbear
    ./opt/sbin/dropbear
    ./proc/7/fd: No such file or directory
    ./shares/MYVOLUME1/opt/etc/dropbear
    ./shares/MYVOLUME1/opt/sbin/dropbear
    " thanks for the help kfurge.
    p.s I got dropbear to work, it starts up and ask me "login as" and i input "root" and then it says "root@192.168.1.1's password:" and i typed in root as well it did not work. how can i configure dropbear to work with my wan ip address or set up dns on it.? thanks aging guys sorry for bear rude
    Last edited by Fullback; 13-04-2007 at 07:19. Reason: More info needed to be added

Using find you identified location of the dropbear on your system. Now you can run it as /opt/sbin/dropbear . After that you can connect to the box from outside by ssh client.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast