Thread: Wiki for custom firware

Wiki for custom firmware

Hi guys,
    yesterday I read this on this forum
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirespot
    Guys, I doubt there's going to be a firmware with torrent support on it. The firmware is for more important, essential things. Dependencies have to be kept to a minimum. Torrent support would require a lot of dependencies, all of which are supplied in the extended packages. It's just not reasonable to ask for it in the firmware.

I completely concur with this position. I know it's easier to just flash the device and *poof* it suddenly has additional features, but everyone has a different set of "requirements" for their box. There's fundamentally no way to have a one-size-fits-all flash image that'll satisfy everyone.

Additionally, I would argue that following a step-by-step recipe is only marginally more difficult than flashing an image.

To that end, I think we should start gathering our collective know-how into a series of best practice how-to's that can help get from stock firmware to a huge variety of endpoints. Each how-to would solve a particular problem.

I'm willing to write the how-to on how to upgrading the stock firmware and get a decent environment running on it. I'd consider it Rev-2 of the current web page instructions, with more detail, a prettier layout, and additional instructions on creating a fully functional base system.

From that, we could add additional items. I see a number of good topics already:

1. Better torrent support (there will probably be many of these)
    2. Creating a self-hosting environment; compiling directly on the box
    3. Better integration into a Mac network
    4. Enabling ssh from the outside
    5. Enhancing the firmware without reflashing (via mount -o bind)
    6. ...

These forums are not the best place to host such things. I think we need a wiki to do this right. Any suggestions?

- K.C.
    I can add another book page if you like that
    drupal handles the same as a wiki but it looks nicer
    http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal

let me know what you think of it
    Last edited by back2basic; 25-03-2007 at 14:15.

Openwrt or Custom Firmware on asus? - http://wl700ge.hezik.nl/ - Http://wl700g.homelinux.net

My ASUS collection: WL500gp(80GB usb-hdd - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 7.09) | WL700gE(250GB - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 8.09rc1)

I think this is a good idea, because the topics are closely related.
    - But can you promise 100% uptime? I have had troubles recently; no answer from wl700g.homelinux.net.

Quote Originally Posted by clausbruun View Post
    I think this is a good idea, because the topics are closely related.
    - But can you promise 100% uptime? I have had troubles recently; no answer from wl700g.homelinux.net.
    this was because I had to format the websever it was running on my wl700 last night I patched it back.
    It now runs on 1,5Ghz desktop 1Ghz DDR2 Ram
    webserver : Xampp
    24/7
    Last edited by back2basic; 13-03-2007 at 15:38.

Openwrt or Custom Firmware on asus? - http://wl700ge.hezik.nl/ - Http://wl700g.homelinux.net

My ASUS collection: WL500gp(80GB usb-hdd - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 7.09) | WL700gE(250GB - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 8.09rc1)

Hehe i actually thought that you had it hosted at your NAS :-)

The new setup sounds like a good stable base for our future collaboration, and let me use this opportunity to thank you for setting it up in the first place and all the work you put into it.

I think I can provide 99,9% uptime

This MySQL server has been running for 10 days, 6 hours, 9 minutes and 58 seconds. It started up on Mar 13, 2007 at 08:01 PM.

InnoDB SSL Handler Query cache Threads Binary log Temporary data Delayed inserts Key cache Joins Replication Sorting Tables Transaction coordinator
    Server traffic: These tables show the network traffic statistics of this MySQL server since its startup.
    Traffic ø per hour
    Received 64 MiB 265 KiB
    Sent 815 MiB 3,388 KiB
    Total 878 MiB 3,653 KiB

Connections ø per hour %
    max. concurrent connections 11 --- ---
    Failed attempts 3 0.01 0.03%
    Aborted 24 0.10 0.26%
    Total 9,205 37.39 100.00%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Query statistics: Since its startup, 409,362 queries have been sent to the server.
    Total ø per hour ø per minute ø per second
    409 k 1.66 k 27.72 0.46

Lets start filling this book