Thread: Mediatomb

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mediatomb

Has anyone already tried to install Mediatomb on a WL-500g?

the package is easy to install and to start, but i don't have a clue how to get the web interface up running.
    Tried to follow the documentation at:
    http://mediatomb.cc/pages/welcome
    but that seems more for linux gurus.

A quick install guide would be nice

Hi,

first of all - this was reported to us by a WL500g user - there was a problem with automatic database creation. It's difficult for me to debug this, because I do not own a WL500g so I can not test it myself; if you have this problem (that would happen on startup, you would get some error message from sqlite and then the server would terminate) - create the databse manually.

This is quite easy to do, you just need the sqlite version 3 command line client, then enter the following:

cat /opt/share/mediatomb/sqlite3.sql | sqlite3 mediatomb.db

This will create the database, copy the database file into your ~/.mediatomb/ or make sure that the ~/.mediatomb/config.xml file points to the correct database location. I just realized that I forgot to put that into the documentation...

Alternatively, you can enter a fixed port in the config.xml, simply put <port>50000</port> in the server section - after the launch of the server you will be able to connect to the UI via http://your-router-ip:50000/

Upon server startup the link to the UI is also printed in the console.

Let me know how it went :) If you get stuck you can visit us on IRC: #mediatomb on chat.freenode.net for realtime support.

Greetings,
    Jin

P.S. if you use a DSM-320 or similar D-Link renderer you may need some special options in your config.xml, just check the docs :>

Hi Jin,

Great news! Got it to work!

This was the error after starting 'mediatomb'
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'StorageException'

This is how it was solved: (your oneliner didn't produce the mediatomb.db)
    - cd /opt/share/mediatomb
    - cat sqlite3.sql | sqlite3 mediatomb.db
    - I then moved the mediatomb.db (17408 bytes) to /usr/local/root/.mediatomb

and finally started 'mediatomb' from the commandline, which now starts correctly on default port 49152.

My configuration:
    -Wl-500g running lighttpd at the moment.
    -mediatomb_0.9.0-pre-1_mipsel.ipk
    -Didn't make ANY changes to the default installation other than above!
    Last edited by avberk; 08-03-2007 at 12:08.

Nice!

Well, this was exactly the problem that was also reported by an other WL500g user. Somehow automatic database creation fails on this device, we have to investigate why. Would be nice to have this feature working to further simplify the installation.

Anyway, great to hear that it works :)

Greetings,
    Jin

great

i search mediaserver for my wlhdd

do you explain exactly how to install mediatomb

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fennec View Post
    great

i search mediaserver for my wlhdd

do you explain exactly how to install mediatomb

thanks
    Well.. in the meantime it turned out that things are much more complicated.
    There are various problems on the WL500g, mainly - it seems that uclibc++ does not catch C++ exceptions. I am still investigating that, but this issue makes the server unusable.

If you want to try some debugging - packages are available here:
    http://ipkgfind.nslu2-linux.org/deta...0412&official=

Greetings,
    Jin

Mediatomb and mysql

My mediatomb has a little bit problems with the database (SQLITE on asuswl500gp).
    I tried mysql (like in the doc). But I always get the error:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'zmm::Exception'

Is this mediatomb compiled to run with mysql?

Hi,

sorry, but it turned out it does not yet work. Unfortunately I lost sight of Oleo, so we have not made much progress yet. From what I know the exception problem is solved in the optware unstable branch, but some problems related to id3lib still remain.

I hope that we can follow up on this at some point, and finally provide a working solution for the WL500g

Jin

Hi everyone,

it's been a while :>

I am currently working on static packages that should run as an addon to any existing vendor firmware. If anyone is interested - here is more info:

http://mediatomb.cc/news?item=42

Kind regards,
    Jin

Quote Originally Posted by Gerdi View Post
    My mediatomb has a little bit problems with the database (SQLITE on asuswl500gp).
    I tried mysql (like in the doc). But I always get the error:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'zmm::Exception'

Is this mediatomb compiled to run with mysql?
    I have run into the same problem on my WL-500gP (on HeadStart II tutorial for oleg 1.9.2.7-10). I'm quite a newbie but I did the following without luck:

* I created a "mediatomb" db in mysql (according docs this is required and there was none after running S90mediatomb.)
    * I added the "mysql" tags to config.xml.

I was able to create this db but I wonder if I managed to give mediatomb access priviliges to this db? Does anyone know how to setup this?

I probably need to configure both mysql and mediatomb for this to work properly (it takes two to tango...) But I'm unsure about howto...
    Last edited by irrelevant; 27-10-2008 at 20:39.

Exclamation

No, no, guys, you are using the wrong build! I created static binaries that work well on the WL500g devices and are not affected by the exception problem.

http://mediatomb.cc/pages/download#static

You want this one:
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/med...ips32el.tar.gz

Make sure to *not* enable inotify autoscan, as far as I remember it's not supported by the WL500g kernel and our autodetection fails because of an incorrect system response, but apart from that everything should work fine.

Yes - your static version did it!

Mediatomb works fine now. I can browse and play my divx movies, photos, music on my PS3 (sw v. 2.50) without any problems.

Thank you Jin.

13. I can also confirm that the static build works fine on my WL-500W (the ipkg version always gave zmm:Exception errors).
    Now, how to get it to autoscan if inotify method doesnt work?

It is transcoding possible?

Quote Originally Posted by lamero View Post
    It is transcoding possible?
    No, due to a weak CPU.