Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Understanding and debugging Transmission [oleo?]

I've took a look at your wl-hdd. What I've saw that transmiisiond eated 44MB VMEM and that was the teason for choke. There was nothing wrong with config or else. I'ts just that You have pushed WL-HDD to the limits.

You cannot have 10 simultaneous downloads with 10GB/200 peers for each torrent and hope that 14MB RAM and 80MHz processor will handle that. No matter how large your swap is.

You have also xinetd and samba 2.2.12 running that eats about 8MB VMEM.
    I suggest that you disable NFS and dropbear and use only telnet for access.

If samba 2.2.12 is necessary due to vista then such large memory requirement could choke wl-hdd. Options are:
    • run samba through xinetd and not as daemons
    • Use ftp or NFS instead
    • use http for transfer instead
    • pause transmission when doing other tasks (copy from wlhdd) to prevent choke.

No matter what you will do, You must change your download habbits. One-by-one and follow virtual size with top to see where are the limits. Or upgrade hardware somehow.

If you do not reveive mark from daemon. Then it is choked and only kill -9 could help him to die. The issue pause and remove active torrents and leave only one for check. Then you can gradually add other for recheck.

Hope that this helps you get started.

Edit: I see that you have load 0.8 with one 10GB torrent and 50 peers. I suspect that three torrents are practical limits for current config. Private trackers wilt less peers behave better than public.

rmmod printer
    killall mountd
    rmmod lockd
    rmmod nfsd
    rmmod wl
    Last edited by oleo; 04-03-2007 at 11:04. Reason: module cleanup

Thanks for your help.

I will try to run samba via xinetd (even if i have no idea how to do it... until now... newbie... )

regarding to manpage of top the VIRT column is VMEM.
    I think i have a lack of understanding the top output...

I am so sorry. The error was in front of the keyboard

wengi

EDIT: Ok. i see what you did. I will try to get it right.
    Last edited by wengi; 04-03-2007 at 11:26.

Hi Oleo,

i managed to start samba with xinetd and optimized loaded modules.
    nfsd will be started with xinetd too.

Thanks again for your help.

wengi

It would be nice if you could write a wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Samba2

And for other packages too.

Done for samba2

Fine. Some config intro would also be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by oleo View Post
    Fine. Some config intro would also be helpful.
    config intro for samba2 or general setup of WLxxx??

One more question.
    Where can i read about the kernel modules?
    Just a brief description would be fine for every module.
    I want to link to it for my howto so people can better guess which modules are needed and which ones can be removed.

Any source?

wengi

for samba2

any kernel documentation would do.

Hello
    I am new happy wl-500gP user.
    I had installed transmission in my box, but after one day my graph looks like doesn't work.
    Pls help me to repair it.

Which command restore the graph?

Regrads

Why transmission download more than actual file size?

I was modify the transmission.cgi to display the actual downloaded (base on .status file)
    I found the actual downloaded is over the real file size.
    Example:
    File erfume.iso
    Actual size: 4465 MB
    % of completed: 54%
    Actual downloaded: 4695MB
    (when finished it's download around 8.3GB )

This torrent I use time to download more than 24Hrs (Bandwidth ~100KB/s) but if I calculate the time to download I found it's use only 12-14 Hrs...

Please check my transmission.cgi as attach. I'm new in cgi and linux. I think it has some bug in that file.

Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Looks like http://transmission.m0k.org/trac/ticket/202 Update ticket with your findings.

I have updated Transmisison to r1664, bud did not tried yet. Now it features PEX. See http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/5888

See if that helps and post report.

I've taked a look on CGI changes and I suggest for CGI:
    1. Start/Stop Log for seeding is really unnecassary. REmove this from listing. Instead include dowloload/upload ratio and separate UL/DL quantity.
    2. fieldset and legend looks nice. Maybe we could drop label on table to save space.
    3. no bold End time. We could use style markup configured in /opt/etc/transmisison.conf
    4. No images for buttons please.
    5. Delete should be integraded under remove. With proper checking what we are deleting. And configurable option to prevent deletion of finished torrents.
    6. LOG should not be grawn with lines. We could introduce rrdtool. But until Oleg fixes its firmware kernel FP emulation. This is not an option.
    7. Link can be configurable include string in /opt/etc/transmission.conf
    8. Wish: change timestamp to unix date +%s to be able to calculate auto unseed time

Post your updated .CGI here and I can include this in future release.
    Last edited by oleo; 05-04-2007 at 08:51.

transmission connect to multiple tracker possible?

Hi,

I've been using my wl500gp for a while and so far so good. except that the speed is not that acceptable. I noticed that when you press the info button, there's only one tracker displayed. does this mean that transmission is not connecting to all the trackers available for the specific torrent file?

is there a way to hack this to get more peers?

Thanks

make sure syslog is running and your transmission.conf is pointed to /opt/var/log/messages

Transmission can handle multitracker as well as peer exchange aka PEX protocol like Azureus.

Me again

Feature request for transmission:

ATM transmission is running even if there are no torrents at all.
    no downloading, no seeding.
    Code:
      172 ?        SNs    0:00 transmissiond -p 65534 -w 300 -u 40 -d 400 -i /opt/var/run/transmission.pid /tmp/harddisk/torrent/active-torrents.txt
      174 ?        SN     0:00  \_ transmissiond -p 65534 -w 300 -u 40 -d 400 -i /opt/var/run/transmission.pid /tmp/harddisk/torrent/active-torrents.txt
      175 ?        SN     0:00      \_ transmissiond -p 65534 -w 300 -u 40 -d 400 -i /opt/var/run/transmission.pid /tmp/harddisk/torrent/active-torrents.txt
      177 ?        RN     0:00      \_ transmissiond -p 65534 -w 300 -u 40 -d 400 -i /opt/var/run/transmission.pid /tmp/harddisk/torrent/active-torrents.txt
    Is it possible to exit transmission if there are no active torrents (to save system performance)?
    torrent_watchdog should also only start transmission if there are active torrents. As an alternative watchdog starts transmission and transmission exits immediately.

just an idea.

wengi

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast