Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GUI "desktop" for wl700ge - help please!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo1007 View Post
    I know ASP is tied to microsoft's IIS I program in it, What I was talking about was the fact that when you run the Asus from the web the following page for applications comes up with the extension applications.asp

See Below, If that's not AsP then what is it?????

"http://192.168.1.1/applications.asp"
    I have no idea ... my wl700ge box is running Openwrt right now, so I don't have any ASUS software running.

I can install & run anything from optware ... which does not include ASP, but it does include Python, Perl and PHP.

I am running a mldonkey server on the wl700ge, which can do bittorrent, ftp and http transfers and can be controlled from a web interface (but I am using sancho right now), so that gives me in effect a very functional "download master". I configure the Openwrt via ssh and the busybox command line, using plain text files.

I have xmail running as a mail server, and I interface to that using normal mail clients on the desktop PCs, such as thunderbird or claws mail.

I have Perl, PHP and Python installed, but at this time I find that I have no real use for them.

Quote Originally Posted by hal2k1 View Post
    I have no idea ... my wl700ge box is running Openwrt right now, so I don't have any ASUS software running.

this is interesting, since i've in mind that OpenWrt is "experimental" on the WL700g, hence a few questions ...

which version of OpenWrt are you running on your WL700g ? (some info/help/install urls please)

does the WLAN and USB ports work correctly with OpenWrt ?

can you define user-based access also on WLAN ?

thanks, brgds
    tiwag

Unhappy

[QUOTE=hal2k1;65716]I have no idea ... my wl700ge box is running Openwrt right now, so I don't have any ASUS software running.

/QUOTE]

How did you find installation of the openwrt?
    I have Installed Kfurge firmware but it's not working properly, most likely because I am a novice at linux.
    Are you running Ushare? if so how is it working?

Tks

Quote Originally Posted by tiwag View Post
    this is interesting, since i've in mind that OpenWrt is "experimental" on the WL700g, hence a few questions ...

which version of OpenWrt are you running on your WL700g ? (some info/help/install urls please)

does the WLAN and USB ports work correctly with OpenWrt ?

can you define user-based access also on WLAN ?

thanks, brgds
    I am running an older version of Openwrt, specifically build 6672.

Code:
    BusyBox v1.4.1 (2007-03-28 11:54:11 CEST) Built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______                     ________        __
     |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
     |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
     |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
              |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
     KAMIKAZE (bleeding edge, r6772) -------------------
      * 10 oz Vodka       Shake well with ice and strain
      * 10 oz Triple sec  mixture into 10 shot glasses.
      * 10 oz lime juice  Salute!
     ---------------------------------------------------
    root@OpenWrt:~# uname -a
    Linux OpenWrt 2.4.34 #23 Thu Mar 29 20:27:18 CEST 2007 mips unknown
    That version lets me run the Opemwrt itself from a USB memory stick. I have two identical 512MB sticks, so if I add something to one and I make a mistake, I just turn off, plug in the other USB memory stick and carry on.

I can't use Samba version 3 since it isn't stable with that build, I had to use Samba version 2. NFS doesn't work, either.

It is highly configurable though. USB ports work, I have a working swapfile on the main hard disk, and WAN and wifi works (albeit I have tried WEP encryption only). I have got pppoe working, but it is more stable if I let my ADSL modem do the pppoe and the login.

I do all configuration via text files using nano as a console editor. It is a bitch to install and to get stable, but one I had done so, it is stable. I can define which machines can log on to the lan via their mac addresses, and I can get dnsmasq to assign them a consistent lan IP address via dhcp.

I have setup a very basic inkjet printer as a network printer via the RAW protocol ... all my Windows and Linux client machines can print to it OK. I have Samba working (network shares), I have xmail working (mail server) and I have an mldonkey deamon running to provide a capable "download master".

I got the basic install instructions from here:
    http://back2basic.shacknet.nu/WL700Ge/drupal/?q=node/19

I have modified them a bit for my own purposes. I have put it in a text file, which I can post if you like (but I have to remove my personal details from it first). I took me quite a number of different trials, swapping in and out different USB sticks to build a more and more capable installed version and having to go backwards a few times before going forwards. I have got it running stable now though.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to try this unless they are quite comfortable with the Linux command line.

Quote Originally Posted by hal2k1 View Post
    I am running an older version of Openwrt, specifically build 6672.
    Thanks hal2k1 !
    first i'll read about and maybe i'll try it with another WL700g.

i've read somewhere that openwrt on the Asus WL700g had big problems with samba serving over WLAN,
    just an open mode was possible, where any user has all root permissions when access to the wlan was
    successful. this is not what i want, i need user based passwords, rights and permissions.

my primary WL700g is working just fine and very stable using kfurges modified 1.0.4.6 firmware.

brgds
    Last edited by tiwag; 14-10-2007 at 10:51.
    tiwag

Quote Originally Posted by haraldrt View Post
    if there is any interesst in hellanzb i will put together an ipk.
    cu Harald
    i´m interested for x86

Just to update the group on the Web interface used by Asus
    It's stored in
    /www/English

This looks like it's a hidden directory so, you'll have to kill the watchdog and then stop thttpd before you copy out the files.

The files end with .asp but on review of the code it's actually Javascript that's running. For those of you with ASP experience it's a bit of a bummer, should have known it could not be proper ASP.

Anyway, there may be a way of creating a Web UI by adding new pages to this folder and linking them to a modified set of pages on local.ip:80

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12