Thread: Bandwidth throttle FTP...

Bandwidth throttle FTP...

Ok, so I've got my FTP server up and running smoothly (so long as the brute force attacks stay away). Now I want to limit the amount of outbound traffic from the FTP server so that I can still use my network while my users are using the server from the outside.

I set a 60k/s limit in the web gui bandwith limit page for ports 20 & 21 in the upload table, hit apply and also rebooted.

I then checked an FTP dl from an outside network and I was getting full speed (on the order of 90-100k/s). So, basically the throttle doesn't seem to be working and if anyone is FTP'ing while I'm trying to use my network all additional traffic is stalled because I'm then saturated.

Am I using the wrong ports? Am I missing some key step? Does the custom firmware 2a (version I'm running) break either the bandwidth throttle feature?

I'm kinda leaning away from running a new instance of vsftpd with the throttle set in the vsftpd.conf as (as far as I can tell) whenever I add/delete/change users on the FTP server, the vsftp reboots and the uses the built in vsftp.conf and would necessitate a full router reboot to force the new vsftpd.cond via rc.local at boot-time.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

or you can use the -c option when you re-launch vsftpd to point it at your custom configuration file. (ie logging into the router to restart vsftpd and kill off the old asus one...)

Quote Originally Posted by d3viant View Post
    or you can use the -c option when you re-launch vsftpd to point it at your custom configuration file. (ie logging into the router to restart vsftpd and kill off the old asus one...)
    It would still be a bit simpler if the GUI bandwidth throttle utility worked...

I was reading on the wl-550g side that the bandwidth util seemed to only affect the internal lan and not he wan side of things... will test further to see if that pans out for the wl=700ge (if that is true then methinks I am forced to use a custom vsftpd.conf).

Again, if anyone has gotten the bandwith throttle to work on the wan side please chime in...

Ok, so using the throttle features in vsftpd are a bit counterproductive to the server. It sets the throttle for both u/l and d/l in one parameter and you cannot separate the two. As I'm trying to only limit u/l and not d/l this does not fit the bill.

With more investigation of the QOS from the WEB GUI, I'm not sure that any of the bandwidth shaping options for either uploading or downloading are working at all. Are all the expected QOS pieces installed in the custom firmware? (kfurge can you confirm this?). Does the bandwidth manager even work on the non-custom firmware???

So, the options are, as far as I can tell...

1) Install a different FTP server and dispense with the GUI interface (really don't want to do this)

2) Have someone brainstorm on an iptables entry to shape port 20 and 21 traffic outbound to a max and min rate (I'm not too good with the iptables app so I'm at the mercy of the gurus on this option)

as always, thanx in advance

If you search the forum you will find lot's of users doing bandwidth management.

But here's the most in-dept topic of them all: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=752

Quote Originally Posted by Styno View Post
    If you search the forum you will find lot's of users doing bandwidth management.

But here's the most in-dept topic of them all: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=752
    I was peeking into that yesterday; but that is referring to the 500 series custom firmware... I know wondershaper isn't in the 700 series custom firmware (granted it can be downloaded by the link) but are the necessary parts in the 700 series custom firmware / kernel installed to support it???

That and has anyone ever gotten the GUI QOS features for bandwidth shaping to work on either custom or original firmware?