Thread: What a shame!

Angry What a shame!

Just bought the WL-700gE Router from Asus and I can't stop get disapointed.

First the horrible "Download Master" that doesn't work and is slow as hell. I wish i could have a azureus instead.

Second the iTunes feature that seems to work, but it shows me the names of the files instead the ID3 TAGS that I've always spent a lot of time to keep it organised.

Than I'm still trying to make the FTP work, because I've got a BT HOME HUB at home and the WL-700gE is plugged on it so I can't get external access using the DYNDNS.ORG thinghy.

The manual doesn't explain anything right for newbies like me, I can't beleive on the Developers of the softwares for this routers, they look like amatures, it seems that they gave to a 3 years old guy to do it.

I could save some money and buy the WL-500g that seems to be the same crap, but at least it cost one tird of the price of the WL-700gE.

If somebody knows any address that I could complain to asus or something, I'm up to write everyday to claim for some update.

Complaining to ASUS hasn't done an awful lot so far - your best bet is to install a custom firmware on it - that'll get most of what you want working.

You can get FTP going without changing the firmware - you need to open up ports 20 and 21 in your BT hub and forward them to the IP address that the hub gives to your wl-700. This means that when requests come in on those ports (the FTP ports) then the hub will pass them onto your wl-700. I recommend you use UBSA mode to password protect your FTP server though.

There is a better itunes server called mt-daapd if you install a custom firmware - this will pass on ID3 tags to machines trying to play music off it. There is also effort into writing a php frontend to a torrent client for the router, so you can download torrents via a web page - have a browse of these forums to find more information on these things.

Red face Many thanks

Hi d3viant,

Many thanks for your time and answer.

I'll try to forward my ports as explained to me, thanks.

And about the alternative firmeware, I've been reading a lot because I really want to install this, but I'm to afraid to kill my router once I don't understand anything about LINUX.

Do you think that it worth give it a try? And once i'll do that my life will turn into textual, is it simple to get used to?

I can't find any simple instruction on how to change my firmware, Ive read this very scary link: http://home.comcast.net/~kfurge/wl700ge.html and in the end I realise that I only need to download this file: WL700gE_1.0.4.6_kc_02a.nas and install in my router to update my firmware, is that correct? once I've downloaded this file how do I install it and most important, how am I going to know how to use it?

Do you have any link that I could read in this forum to know how to install this WL700gE_1.0.4.6_kc_02a.nas file and how to use afterwards?

Sorry to bother you, but I'm really trying to make my money worth a bit on this purchased, like I said before it was very desapointing for something that i was expecting so much to buy.

Once more thanks!
    Last edited by Tiagouk; 13-02-2007 at 12:56. Reason: Added more to it

Red face

I´m trying to figure out how to install the firmware, too.
    Since I´m a noob in Linux, i don´t know how to install the firmware. I also would like to know how to install a better bt client and ftp server, maybe even an e-mail server.

would be great if somebody could help us.

thx

Unhappy Shame on me!

Hey look, this link was the closest way that I could get to know how to install this firmware, but it's very SCARY:

http://wl700g.info/showthread.php?t=8237

I've printed the whole instructions, have read 5 times and still don't get it...

I don't know if after install this it will rip off all the functions on my router, or it will add new features and keep the regular ones.

But most of all is that I don't know how to operate a telnet, and it seems that everything after install the aternative firmware will have to be operate by text on a telnet..

Damn I wish to know all this things! And make it work properly DAMN YOU ASUS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luckynuts View Post
    I´m trying to figure out how to install the firmware, too.
    Since I´m a noob in Linux, i don´t know how to install the firmware. I also would like to know how to install a better bt client and ftp server, maybe even an e-mail server.

would be great if somebody could help us.

thx

To install the custom firmware you don't need to be a linux guru
    http://home.comcast.net/~kfurge/wl700ge.html here's te page K.C. Wrote grab the firmware at the bottum and start with 'Installing the new firmware image'

All the (crapy) stuff from asus and all setting will be the same after updating the firmware

I'm willing to help some guys on msn If they don't know how to install and set up the custom asus firmware ( r.vanhezikATwanadoo.nl )

p.s. Linux isn't that hard to learn I now run OpenWrt firmaware that is far more stable than asus's (but hasn't got a nice web-if and needs to be comlpetely setup by shell)and I have also almost no knwledge of linux but learning every minute --next week I'm gonne buy me a second box to mess around wih this monster

Openwrt or Custom Firmware on asus? - http://wl700ge.hezik.nl/ - Http://wl700g.homelinux.net

My ASUS collection: WL500gp(80GB usb-hdd - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 7.09) | WL700gE(250GB - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 8.09rc1)

thx for help

thanks for your replays.
    but i tried to upload kfurge´s firmware onto the router. when i use the webbrowser´s configuration to
    upload the firmware i just get a error message that the firmware is inconsistent. when i used this guide:http://www.wl700g.info/showthread.php?t=6552
    I got that error message: http://home.mnet-online.de/luckynuts/errormessage.JPG
    Can somebody help me with that?

@back2basic i would add you if you can give me your msn ...or just add me. ofpfreak@gmx.de

Ps:
    back to kfurge´s installation guide. did i do it right?
    To put the rc.local text file onto the router i started my pc with knoppix, opened kwrite and pasted in the text. i created a opt/etc and saved the script in there...after wards i tried to upload kfurges firmware....maybe i messed up the order of the steps? did i?

try dowload the firmware again and now to C:\ not to youre desktop

added u to msn

Openwrt or Custom Firmware on asus? - http://wl700ge.hezik.nl/ - Http://wl700g.homelinux.net

My ASUS collection: WL500gp(80GB usb-hdd - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 7.09) | WL700gE(250GB - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 8.09rc1)

I've always installed kfurge's firmware using the ASUS web interface

Go to your routers ip address, and login to the configuration panel. Find the upload firmware option and click the browse button. Find the image on your computer and click upload - this should all work quite happily.