Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Firmware v1.8.1.9

Hello,

i now have also instaled this firmware.

My biggest problem was that the wan dies or what i find out is that no matter what i do, like surfing or downloading fast en many files (newsgroup with 8 conecctions)
    Everytime the connections falls of after a amount of time, i can not gife a time example because than in takes a couple of ours and some times days and also 3 times in 4 ours ???

So i could never complete a download, when this happens i go to the router menu 192.168.1.1 and go to status page and make a refresh , or renew and than in right works again ???

I read that many people have this problem , what can we do or will this firmware fix this problem.

Is there anybody with a solution ??.

Thanx

after upgrading (with reset) i could no longer lget a wireless connection with my ibook. neither with wpa nor wep

oh my god, another problem: Strange: Yesterday i upgaded to the new firmware, but because my ibook did not connect wirelessly i downgraded to 1.7.5.6. Now i cannot use lpr printing any more, neither form windows pcs nor from macs. Even if connected via ethernet. Anyone any idea? It did not change after i did reset and reimported the old settings.

Now it works with new firmware. But it seems the behaviour changes with every set. With the last one i did not even get on the net. Did a reset, and everything worked. Now even the login is "admin". But after i reimported my old settings, it changed back to "" (blank). No way to change that. But another reset? Hm, i do not dare...

I did dare and now wlan only connects without encryption. Somehow asus seems to have totally messed up the firmware. Never had a problem before (only with a "medion" notebook with nitro chip).

Quote Originally Posted by justwords
    Now it works with new firmware. But it seems the behaviour changes with every set. With the last one i did not even get on the net. Did a reset, and everything worked. Now even the login is "admin". But after i reimported my old settings, it changed back to "" (blank). No way to change that. But another reset? Hm, i do not dare...
    uhm...

you can NOT reimport old settings, you have to enter all of them manually
    reimporting can cause your router to malfunction (as it seems it does already)

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Hm. After five or more resets, i got the wl-500g working. I did not dare to enable more functions than necessary (still lacking MAC Access control for pcs and my other asus wl-300 access point (client mode), lacking dyndns etc.).

some of the settings i did reimport were really from the same firmware version. And why is it that you cannot use old settings? Entering twenty MAC-Adresses is really annoying...

strange enough, after some resets, the standard ssid was "default", after another it was "braodcom" (hint on the generic oem firmware from broadcom)

Why using MAC based access control? It adds very litte extra security to WEP128. If someone has the will and time to hack WEP128 then they will need very little time to hack your MAC access restrictions as well.
    Better use WPA without MAC restrictions, this is much safer and easier to setup after you've wrecked your router.

Why bother to upgrade with all the troubbles if you are happy with an older version?

Quote Originally Posted by justwords
    Hm. After five or more resets, i got the wl-500g working. I did not dare to enable more functions than necessary (still lacking MAC Access control for pcs and my other asus wl-300 access point (client mode), lacking dyndns etc.).

some of the settings i did reimport were really from the same firmware version. And why is it that you cannot use old settings? Entering twenty MAC-Adresses is really annoying...

strange enough, after some resets, the standard ssid was "default", after another it was "braodcom" (hint on the generic oem firmware from broadcom)
    you just cannot use old settings as they were used in a firmware which was not organized inside, asus got sick of it probably and began developping a 'clean' (?) firmware
    that is why you can not use old settings
    reimporting will reimport mess you have exported before, that's why its not a good idea

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

I tried out new firmware because i had problems getting a webcam working and i always had troubles connecting with a medion notebook (nitro 802.11g chip). Also i try out new versions just because i like to try. Still i only try "stable" releases, no custom firmware etc. Maybe asus should give a warning regarding importing older settings.

Do you really think the new firmware is cleaner?

i have to use WEP because i use the older Asus WL-300 as a wlan client for my slimp3-ethernet-mp3-player. This one only understands wep.
    As far as i understood you can use both WEP and WPA together. However, the configuration looks not very clean.

What i miss is the ability to set 11 mbps as speed. With some older 802.11b cards i only got connections when i set the speed maximum to 11 mbps. Still, maybe asus improved compatibility with older 802.11b devices.

As allways: Firmware upgrading is a delicate process. The warnings in the Asus users manual and the big font in the start post of this thread are not without reason. Less and lesser experienced users should think hard about the risks they take before upgrading. And if things go bad, be prepared to put in a lot of effort to get things running again. If you're not agreeing with this: DO NOT UPGRADE.

Of course i expect that things can go wrong. Being an experienced users, i still am not happy if something does not work as it should. And by reading this forum, i learnt that older settings are a problem and continued resets may be the cure.

Do not forget that firmware-update these days often are necessary even for normal users. Even mobile phones have a lot of errors, when they are sold with the first firmware. it is only after several firmware versions that these devices work as expected.

Reset settings to defaults and start over.

14. After installing this new firmware, I have the same pb as Alexis:
    the webcam work for a few hours and then black screen untill I restart the AP.

Quote Originally Posted by chris.delarue
    After installing this new firmware, I have the same pb as Alexis:
    the webcam work for a few hours and then black screen untill I restart the AP.
    ok.. what is a few hours ?

I will test this myself if I get a number of hours from more than 1 person
    and will contact asus regarding this to fix it if it happends at my test configuration too

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast