Thread: Custom firmware WL-500w?

Custom firmware WL-500w?

I recently swapped my WL-500g for the new WL-500w. I always greatly appreciated the possiblities on the 500g with Oleg's custom firmware. Does anyone know if such firmware is going to be developed?

Quote Originally Posted by MShell View Post
    I recently swapped my WL-500g for the new WL-500w. I always greatly appreciated the possiblities on the 500g with Oleg's custom firmware. Does anyone know if such firmware is going to be developed?
    Hello,

Does the download manager and the BitTorrent client work for this new router and the firmware as bad as in WL-500gp and WL-700g series, or there is something improved?

Thanks. Regards.

ive had this device for nearly 2 motnhs now and still have not been able to get download master to work at all.
    everything else works on it but not download master which is the reason why i bought the dman thing.

Updated firmware

I hope Oleg or someone else will make some updated firmware for the Asus WL-500w soon.

wl500w works fine until..

For me this router where working good for two months, i had no problems with any torrent program.. Everything was fine, but then happend this:

http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=8417

Now i dont have router, because it is not working, and i cant get it replased because i got it from ebay/canada in to Ireland. So to send it back for warranty is to expensive, UK ASUS do not accept my router for warranty service.

Jesus some bulshit here... :/

There IS a new firmware now, but it doesn't have lots of improvement. Author made it for his own needs and he said he is not going to work very hard on it. Just if he needs to, for some reason.
    Topic in RUSSIAN is located here http://forum.asus.ru/viewtopic.php?p=128196
    That is what is written in a readme.txt attached:

*NO WARANTY use it in own risk*

WL500W_1.9.7.3k00 by Krey
    beta version
    firmware for ASUS WL-500W router based on WL500W_1.9.7.3 original firmware

Archieve contains:
    WL500W_1.9.7.3k00.trx - firmware
    src - modified source files from original firmware source package
    readme.txt - this file

Features:
    DHCP option 33 (static routes)
    DHCP option 249 (MS classless routes)
    iptables masquerade traffic to wan0 interface
    Support Ext3 Filesystem on external USB Mass Storage
    Added option [prefix]_pppoe_options

Know issues:
    Web cam
    scsi-idle integrated but dont worked
    national charset in external USB Mass Storage
    For me this firmware helped to solve a problem when my WL-500W refused to start-up correctly when a WAN cable was attached. And also, i've got Download Master working (at least for FTP downloads - didn't try anything else).

Maybe some more update will follow from Krey, maybe some more improvements

Quote Originally Posted by linaz View Post
    For me this router where working good for two months, i had no problems with any torrent program.. Everything was fine, but then happend this:

http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=8417

Now i dont have router, because it is not working, and i cant get it replased because i got it from ebay/canada in to Ireland. So to send it back for warranty is to expensive, UK ASUS do not accept my router for warranty service.

Jesus some bulshit here... :/
    find a local retailer which are doing repairements DIRECTLY with asus, I worked at such company before and they can request RMA for you

they are able to send the router to Asus Czech for you (perhaps at some cost)

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Hi All,

Any news on this subject... Is there any custom FW out..? What I really would like to have is a function so that you can use putty to communicate with the router and the possibility to run linux softwares like cardsharing.

//v

There is already a beta here:

http://oleg.wl500g.info/500w/

Beware it does not contain Download Master.

supports 802.11n?

Does this firmware support 802.11n?

I have trouble connectting with my Atheros AR5008 wifi chip in my laptop so it would be nice to finally enjoy 802.11n and not just 802.11g
    -------------\______/-------------
    ASUS Wl-500W