Thread: Squeezebox3 or Noxon2 ?

Question Squeezebox3 or Noxon2 ?

Hello
    I want to listen my music in the Asus music folder and i hesitate between this two devices.

The squeezebox3 seems to be better... but the customer support say me that it wouldn't work.
    "Sorry. The Squeezebox does not support uPnP connections. It requires our software server to function"

The uPnP support it is really necessary ? We must have a uPnP device ?

Someone have ever used a SlimDevices Squeezebox 3 or Terratec Noxon 2 with his router ?
    What is your opinion... an advice ?

Thanks
    Jerome
    Last edited by jeromv; 18-01-2007 at 21:31.

Hi,
    I think I got antoher suggestion for you: The roku soundbridge m1001 (also sold by pinnacle). Its the same price like the noxon 2, looks much better (also better display), supports wpa with a firmware-update...
    The only disadvantage is 11mbit to 54mbit of the noxon 2 (which should make no difference for mp3s). Some days ago, I also had to decide between those devices and I ordered the soundbridge, because the user-ratings for the soundbridge were much better. The slimdevice is better than both (I think?) but it costs more...
    For the noxon 2 and soundbridge I can say that they both should support itunes and there is already an itunes-server set up on the wl-700ge. However, that mediaserver is crap (no id3 tags?), so I installed mt-daapd and it works fine for me I still try to run twonky on my router, but there seems to be a problem with this piece of software, but I'm working on it
    I hope I could help you.

Thanks for all your advice !
    It's very interesting.... i'm going to search many information on the roku soundbridge m1001.

Has anyone already tested the squeezebox?

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by dome View Post
    so I installed mt-daapd and it works fine for me

how did you do that (I am not firm in linux ....) ??

thx

This post should help you:

http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=7742

I assume that you already have telnet-access to your router. If not, look in this thread:

http://www.wl500g.info/forumdisplay.php?f=88

Btw: Twonky is now also running on the wl-700gE just go to www.twonkyvision.de and download the version for the maxtor shared storage.
    ASUS WL-700gE running with kfurge's firmware
    Twonkymediaserver on board

Can you make a little tut.

Sollie.

PS: i have the kfurge custom firmware running!

Question mt-daapd does not serve songs to my Noxon, but I still can hear them....

Hi folks,

I too had to decide what to buy: Roku Soundbridge or the Noxon 2 Audio. I choose the latter, because it has WPA (while I had read that the soundbridge had only the very weak Wep security), it has support for .ogg, and it comes with a Linux version of Twonky Music.
    I have KC Furge image running, and installed the mt-daapd with ipkg.
    With some trouble I maneged to get Amarok on my Suse 10.2 pc listen to mt-daapd. So far so good, and I decided to buy the Noxon 2.
    It connects via WLAN to the Asus, and with it's internet connection it is is able to load thousends of internet radiostations! BUT it could not see my collection from mt-daapd.

So I fiddled around a bit and guess what I found out:
    I had disabled the Media server on the Asus, because the internal mt-daapd and the own installed version collide otherwise. Enabling it again made the Noxon happy: suddenly it showed the Asus, and directory's like photo, web, music, usbdisk... In Music I found my collection, and the Noxon could nicely play them. On the Asus now ran the internal mt-daapd.

So, you have to ENable the Media server on the Asus, and that's it? But why could I use mt-daapd with Amarok while the Media server was disabled?
    Just to be sure I changed the rc.local to do this:
    if [ -x /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd ]; then
    ##/opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /tmp/mt-daapd.conf
    # Stop original Asus mt-daapd
    killall -q mt-daapd
    # Start my own mt-daapd
    /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    fi

Now I could access the mt-daapd web interface (http://asus:3689/status.html), and found out that is was not serving anything, while the Noxon was playing what it found in Music.
    So, I conclude: you don't need mt-daapd for the Noxon, and probably also not for the Roku. You DO need an enabled media server.

BTW the internal mt-daapd uses /tmp/mt-daapd.conf.
    it has a line:
    musiclink http://10.2.2.250:8081/Music
    that my own mt-daapd does not eat.

But all in all this is very weird, he?
    I'm going to install Twonky Music and see if it makes a difference.

Marc