Thread: Newbie question about adding a 700ge to existing network

Newbie question about adding a 700ge to existing network

Hi there,

I've seen some hints about this around the forum, but I was hoping someone could give me the definitive set of instructions. I already have a Linksys
    WRT54G wireless router attached to a DSL modem. I want to add the 700g to my existing router with a wired connection, and disable the wireless functionality. The reason I want to do this is because I'll probably only use the 700ge for torrent downloads and storage, and I don't want it running 24/7 (I understand that the hard drive never spins down). I want to turn it on and off as needed, while still keeping my wireless network running from the Linksys.

I would most appreciate guidance on this.

Thanks

No help?

Just to reiterate: I have a DSL modem hooked up to a linksys wireless router. I'm pretty happy with the setup, so I just want to hook up the 700ge to the existing router's lan port, and pretty much only use it for the Download Manager, and to shut it off when I'm not using it. I've tried a few things, but no luck. I'd appreciate any help

Thanks!

I'm guessing as I've never tried anything like this but I'd first try putting an eth cable from a non-WAN port on the WL700g directly into your PC so you can surf to the http://192.168.1.1 WL700g admin area. Then configure it to get an "ADSL or other connection type that uses static IP address" on the 3rd page of "Basic Setup" and give it an IP in the range you know the WRT54G will give out, plus a default route IP of whatever the WRT54G currently is. Then power down the WL700g and remove the eth cable and plug it into one of the WRT54G LAN ports and into the WAN port of the WL700g and push the power on button. Plug your PC back into the WRT54G (or use wireless) and surf to the IP you gave the WL700g and with a bit of luck you might get the admin page again. It should see the rest of the world via the WRT54G and you can try the BT client... and/or go thru the telnet trick and be able to to telnet into the WL700g.

I have no idea if this makes sense or will work but it might give you some ideas of what to try. Good luck.

Thanks for your input. I attached the router directly to my laptop to access the admin screen. I ended up first just changing the router's mode to Access Point. After the router rebooted, I couldn't log-in to the admin anymore: the usual IP didn't work anymore. When I hooked the Asus up to my main computer, through the Linksys, I used the Device Discovery utility, which managed to locate the router. It got assigned a slightly different IP. The upshot is, I'm now able to access the Asus through my desktop without any problems, and the Asus can get on the Internet through the Linksys. Quite frankly, I didn't think it would be that easy, but I'm not complaining

Ah, I spoke too soon. Although setting the mode of the Asus to AP allowed me to access it and download BT files, I can't actually see the files! I don't know if this is a problem with my settings or something else. I'm able to navigate through the Myshare folder and subfolders, and see files in some areas, but when I go to the Complete and Incomplete folders in the Download directory, I see nothing. I also can't use the upload functionality on those pages; I get an error message. I switched the mode of the Asus back to Gateway, and turned off the DHCP, and I can still access the Asus, but again, no files.

Any ideas? I'll try MarkC's suggestion and hope for the best.

Curiouser and curiouser. Even though I can't see downloaded files through the Asus admin screen, I _can_ see them through the desktop Download Master utility tool. From there, I was able to map the directory in windows explorer. So I have access to the files. But since making the changes specified above, now I can no longer download BT files at all from the Internet. I can add BT files to the queue, but there is no activity -- no upload or download.

Im not an expert, but it sounds like a permission problem.

Try making a ls -l in the relevant folder by telnet or ssh.

Well, I ended up starting from scratch by resetting the router. This is a very finicky unit. I reflashed to the latest firmware, turned off DHCP functionality, and changed the router mode to AP. Everything seems to work now, including file access. I just wish Download Master was a bit more robust. Thanks for all your input