Thread: mount HDD without FTP?

mount HDD without FTP?

Hi,

It seems that I need to enable FTP support to be able to mount my USB-HDD. when FTP is enabled, my HDD is detected, FTP is started, etc.etc. When I switch-off FTP support, my HDD is not detected at all, or at least /dev/discs is not created.

My question: is there a way to mount my USB-HDD without enabling FTP support? I just want a webserver to run on this HDD, and don't want FTP switched on. Ofcourse I can kill stupid-ftpd, but that sounds rather strange. Start ftp and kill it in the same boot sequence. So any help on mounting a USB-HDD without needing to start stupid-ftpd is welcome!

Regards,
    Joost

Check this out... Maybe it might help you...
    The Struggle Continues...
    Asus WL500g #1 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as main home gateway, with Philipps PWC730k
    Asus WL500g #2 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as Wireless Client, running palantir 2.6 with SPCA5xx camera on 128MB generic USB key

perhaps manually start usb-storage modules?

Thanks for the quick reply, but that tutorial doesn't provide me with an answer. It mentions /dev/discs/disc0/part1 as a mount option, but /dev/discs isn't created on my WL500g when I switch-off stupid-ftp.

In the mean time I've been busy... It seems that usb-storage support is not switched on when FTp is not switched on. "USB-filesystem" sounds like a kernel thingy, so I started looking in the startup scripts of the oleg firmware. What I found interesting is the linuxrc script. What it does at the start is starting a number of modules using insmod, among which some for usb, scsi, and ide. The next thing puzzles me little, as it seems to look for an alternative boot script or something. At the end the usb, ide, scsi modules are unloaded again.

The thing I wanted to try, but didn't dare yet, is commenting out the unloading of some of the usb, scsi and ide modules so they keep being active. This does mean editing the linuxrc file which sounds dangerous to me. Perhaps it is better to start them again in a post-boot script, if that is possible. Does someone know if this would work? Can I enable usb-storage support by calling insmod for a number of the modules? Which of these modules are then needed?

Hopefully someone can help here. If it works, I will post an howto in the corresponding section on this site

By the way, I don't have problems starting or installing http, etc. This all works fine. My goal is to mount the USB-HDD, without enabling FTP support...

Joost

Got it!

I found the answer on this site by searching for insmod. This post gives a post-boot file that manually starts the usb-storage when it has not been switched on yet.

Seems you have found what you were looking for... Sorry for being to fast in replying and pointing to some wrong direction....
    The Struggle Continues...
    Asus WL500g #1 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as main home gateway, with Philipps PWC730k
    Asus WL500g #2 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as Wireless Client, running palantir 2.6 with SPCA5xx camera on 128MB generic USB key