Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twonky

Twonky

Sorry if this is a repost of some content, but I searched the whole forum and everything I found about "installing twonky" were some comments, that there are already some tutorials here...
    However, I didn't find anything usefull but I know some of you guys mananged to install twonky on their WL-700gE. I downloaded the version for the asus wl-hdd, copied it to my internal hdd and thats all I know to do. How do I start that server? Just typing in "twonkymedia" doesn't work for me.
    Perhaps anyone knows another good upnp-server, which is freeware?

Perhaps I have to specify my problem: I copied all the files, made them executable with chmod but when I type in /path/twonkymedia.sh it always says "/path/twonkymedia.sh: not found". What am I doing wrong?
    Everything works fine with ubuntu, using the same command...
    But when I say /path/readme.txt, it only says "applet not found", so why doesn't it find the twonkymedia?
    I know I'm a linux noob

Isn't there anybody out there, who got twonky to work on a wl-700ge?

I was able to get Twonky to work but I'm still having problems with the lame plugin. I am running Kfurge's firmware.
    I followed the instructions on another post and did the following to install Twonky:

1. download the Maxtor Shared Storage [plus] version
    2. unzipped it to /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/Twonkyvision
    3. renamed twonkymedia-default.ini to twonkymedia-default.ini.backup
    4. start the server using full path /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/Twonkyvision/twonkymedia.
    If you get an error like "no version information available" it is because of LD_LIBARARY_PATH.
    It doesn't start with the updated path. So, I did 'export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/opt/lib' so it can use the default path.
    Then it started just fine.
    5. configure Twonky using (192.168.1.1:9000) to point to the media. Assuming that is the ip address of your router

That all works fine after giving it a while to read all of the media. I can see the photos and see the music files but the music files won't play on my client device (which is a DirecTV HR20).
    I tried the lame plugin 'Linux MIPS little endian glibc 2.2.3'.
    However, I get the following error in the telnet console when attempting to play the mp3 files:

# QUERY_STRING ?source=/shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Clash/Combat Rock/Track1.mp3&from=audio/mpeg&to=audio/L16&cache=/shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/Twonkyvision/twonkymedia.db/cache
    /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/Twonkyvision/cgi-bin/lame: error while loading shared libraries: cannot open shared object file: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory

Hi,
    tanks for your answer. Twonky works for me with no problems But how did you manage to autostart twonky? I always have to enable it by telnet and when I exit telnet, twonky exists, too
    ASUS WL-700gE running with kfurge's firmware
    Twonkymediaserver on board

I haven't gotten that far yet since my mp3s still don't play on the client device. Have you tried adding '/shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/Twonkyvision/twonkymedia &' to rc.local then rebooting? That's my plan if I ever get the lame plugin to work.

Lightbulb

Today i managed to install Twonky on my WL-700g running kforges custom firmware.

I did it more or less the way SAPRIZE did it (see post two days ago).

To make it work after a reboot i added it to rc.local like this.

# Start the twonky music server
    /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/Twonky/twonkymusic &

First it did not work, since the new libraries from kforges custom firmware did not work together with twonky. The solution was a simple hack: i moved the start command before the two EXPORT lines in the rc.local - this way twonky sees still the old libraries and everything works just fine :-)

Now i am happy and i will not touch this box for the next weeks - i locked my self out once and needed a whole day to figure out to get in again :-)

Good luck ...

Quote Originally Posted by saprize View Post
    I haven't gotten that far yet since my mp3s still don't play on the client device. Have you tried adding '/shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/Twonkyvision/twonkymedia &' to rc.local then rebooting? That's my plan if I ever get the lame plugin to work.
    I have just installed Twonkymusic, and both MP3's and OGG's run fine. It is version 4.1, I too have KCFurge's image running, and could use your installation instructions. In the directory where Twonkymusic resides is a executable called lame that came with the installation.
    Now, the only differences are the software, twonkymedia vs twonkymusic, and my client, which is a Noxon 2 Audio.
    Hope this helps a bit.

Marc

Exclamation Twonkymedia 4.3 installs fine

Hi,

I had twonkymusic 4.2 running on my Asus, but got a mail from Twonky that they had released version 4.3 of TwonkyMedia and had discontinued TwonkyMusic.
    They gave me a new licensecode.
    That was nice, but how to proceed? I had previously installed version 4.1 with twonkymusic-maxtor.zip, but that is not anymore in the list of distributions.
    Fortunately I found that twonkymedia-mss.zip from http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download...chnicians.html, listed there as Maxtor Shared Storage [PLUS], works fine.
    Just unzip this in e.g. /opt/share/TwonkyMedia,
    give this command:
    chmod 700 twonkym* cgi-bin/* plugins/*
    and with
    ./twonkymedia it runs.

In rc.local I have this, before changing LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
    if [ -e /shares/${pool}/opt ]; then
    #Start Twonkymedia in stead of mt-daapd, runs with original library_path
    /opt/share/TwonkyMedia/twonkymedia &

export PATH=/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:${PATH}
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
    fi
    You probably want to change the configuration. It lists /shares and /foreign-shares automagically, and read everything it finds. In that way it easily uses more memory than is allocated (20000). But worse, this will hit your Music directory twice, because it can be found under /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/Music and under /shares/DMSRoot/Music. Result is rubish. If this happens to you, you must recreate the mediafolders. Just make sure that it only serves music from /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/Music, and you will be fine. As least I was...

Greets,
    Marc
    Last edited by mumsoft; 12-06-2007 at 20:31. Reason: it's really necessary to change the configuration FIRST

Help with installing twonky on wl-700ge

can someone help me with installing twonky on wl-700ge? I wanna be able to stream .mp4 and .avi video files to my dlink dsm-510 wirelessly.. the built-in media server in asus is not able to do it..
    I have no knowledge about programing in linux.. so I would really appreciate if someone could detail the steps out for me.

Thanks a bunch..

Cool

Look here:

http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=...ghlight=twonky

and read my message":
    Twonkymedia 4.3 installs fine

Maybe I should have posted it as a proper HOW-TO message, but I hate to post things twice, and moreover, the forum has a search facility.

good luck
    Marc

Hello Marc, thank you for your reply.. I had seen that posting of yours before.. but had a few questions..

1> You said and i quote "Just unzip this in e.g. /opt/share/TwonkyMedia,"

where exactly is this folder hierarchy set up? In the PC or in the Asus router??
    In my asus router I have the usual directories.. namely.. Download, Music, Videos, USB etc..under the /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1.. Where exactly in this should I unzip it?

2> You said and I quote "give this command:
    and with
    ./twonkymedia it runs."

Where exactly should give this command? in a text file of some sort or in the rc.local?? I am not sure. sorry, like I said, I am clueless about linux.

3> should I first update it to the kfurge firmware?

Thanks

Talking Oh err, well, yes...

Quote Originally Posted by emailpr View Post
    Hello Marc, thank you for your reply.. I had seen that posting of yours before.. but had a few questions..

1> You said and i quote "Just unzip this in e.g. /opt/share/TwonkyMedia,"

where exactly is this folder hierarchy set up? In the PC or in the Asus router??
    In my asus router I have the usual directories.. namely.. Download, Music, Videos, USB etc..under the /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1.. Where exactly in this should I unzip it?

2> You said and I quote "give this command:
    and with
    ./twonkymedia it runs."

Where exactly should give this command? in a text file of some sort or in the rc.local?? I am not sure. sorry, like I said, I am clueless about linux.

3> should I first update it to the kfurge firmware?

Thanks
    Ok, my message is not a full How-to. So I left out the part that I assumed that one had installed kfurge's image. Now, 5 years ago I did not know anything about Linux, but I installed Suse 8.0, and that took only 30 minutes. After that I had hundred applications to play with. Now I am not so clueless about Linux anymore, but I am still used to a graphical interface, so peeking around in the router isn't my cup of tea either. But, if you read a lot around here, you learn a lot. That said, you will first take the courage to read through the excellent, but Linux-minded http://home.comcast.net/~kfurge/wl700ge.html
    You don't have to follow all the steps though. Just install it, and follow the section after Installing the new firmware image In my opinion you can just use the web interface to flash it.
    At least follow steps 1 to 3 after that.

Now you will have an /opt directory in the router. You kan create a /opt/share/TwonkyMedia there. The chmod command has to be given once, in this same directory. The you can run Twonky with ./twonkymedia, but that will only work until you end the telnet or ssh session. Didn't I say you had to telnet/ssh to the router in the first place?
    To start Twonky every time you power up the Asus, you have to change the rc.local.
    Don't fall in the trap to edit rc.local with notepad!!!! . Do it with nano or joe.

Look around here, search for terms you don't understand, use Google a lot, and be welcome in the amazing world of Linux.

Greets
    Marc

one question.. I've seen links posted for the source of the starter rc.local script like for example http://home.comcast.net/%7Ekfurge/rc.local
    if I click on this link.. it opens up a webpage with unix style language script I guess..
    so do I copy this and paste it on notepad and name it rc.local?

No, choose "Save link target as" in the contextmenu (right mouse click)

Marc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast