Thread: Others HDD supported

Post Others HDD supported

I think that it would be interesting to share information in this post of different HDD which we have tried in order to know if they are supported or if there were problems…

Your post should look like this :

For me (compared to the original Hitachi) :

Tested@
    Model: SEAGATE 7200.10 - ATA 500 Go -16 Mo -7200rpm
    Ref : ST3500630A
    Capacity : 500Go
    Firmware: 1.0.4.6 (Kfurge Custom)
    Device : Working
    Noise without access : Disappointing there is a whistling
    Noise with access : Good not noisy
    Heat without access : Hot
    Heat with access : Very very hot !
    Recommanded : NO

After 1 month when i did a big files transfert the HDD became very hot and it went in security mode because of the temperature and broke down !!!

The store accepts to change it for another reference...
    Which reference do your recommend me ?
    Maybe i will take the HITACHI Deskstar T7K500 - 500Go - 7200 t/m because i see it has a TFC (Thermal Fly-height Control)...
    Has anyone already tested it?

Thanks
    Jerome

Device: ST3750640A
    Manufacturer: Seagate
    Capacity: 750 GB
    Firmware: ASUS 1.0.4.6n (Stock)
    Device: Working
    Noise without access: Not perceptibly different from 160GB drive.
    Noise with access: TBD
    Heat without access: Seems comparable to the original 160GB drive.
    Heat with access: TBD
    Recommended: TBD
    Still need more testing. (only been up and running for 5 hours)

I have been running the 700 with the 750 Seagate with no problems so far.
    Things are looking good for this drive/router combo.

Device: ST3750640A
    Manufacturer: Seagate
    Capacity: 750 GB
    Firmware: ASUS 1.0.4.6n (Stock)
    Device: Working
    Noise without access: Not perceptibly different from 160GB drive.
    Noise with access: Not perceptibly different from 160GB drive.
    Heat without access: Seems comparable to the original 160GB drive.
    Heat with access: Seems comparable to the original 160GB drive.
    Recommended: Yes!
    Hard drive now has about 280GB of data on it out of 750, with my laptop mapped to the share while leeching 24/7. So good so far.

Now if they just offered 1 TB hard drives.

Your HDD is in the wl-700gE or in an external box ?
    Thanks for this information
    Jerome

The 750 is in the router. The stock 160 was pulled out and is now collecting dust. I leave my laptop running 24/7 running newsleecher/utorrent and d/l to the asus using mapped drives/shares. Works like a charm.

Now if the darn custom firmware would just replace the ctorrent client with the fixed enhanced-ctorrent life would be good. The stock ctorrent client bombs with any 4+ GB torrents. (I found out the hard way last night after getting excited some of my BSG episodes were done torrenting only to find they couldnt be played back cause of missing data)

How did you replace your 160 Gb

I'm want to do replace my 160 Gb drive with a 400 Gb-drive, but how have you done this? It would be nice if I could make a copy of the 160 Gb and then build it in (is this possible?).

So its been over 6 weeks since I installed the Seagate 750 and it is running strong with narry a problem.
    The hard drive temperature never gets hot, just lukewarm (I leave my laptop running 24/7 downloading stuff).
    I have filled up the hard drive twice and pulled all the data off the router into a multiple bay enclosure.
    Bottom line is the hard drive has been worked over.
    And I am running the stock firmware which doesnt spin down the HDD, which doesnt matter since files are transferred to it every 1-2 minutes.

Works like a charm.
    The only thing is I cannot get my Tvix 5000 to connect to Asus using NFS even though I have the account/password setup. Kinda strange.

Now if someone just wrote the wrapper for the command line argument translation for enhanced ctorrent, we could get the torrent feature functioning again (doesnt work well for me)

Installing insructions for 750GB Seagate HDD [ST3750640A]

Having bought the same HDD I dont succeed in get it working.
    I have installed the HDD in the router replacing the original one. The only way of getting firmware over to the Brick is using the tutorial "recovering from death". telneting to the brick works fine yet fdisk doesnt find a disk to partition.

Could you possibly give a short step by step, how you did it?

I tried the HDD in Cable Select (like it came) and in master mode, same result.
    Using the firmware restoration tool doesnt work either...

Thanks in advance

brebblebox

Installing 750GB Seagate HDD [ST3750640A]

my steps so far:
    1 - replacing the 106GB drive with the one above
    2 - trying to restore firmware with firmware-restaration-tool --> FAILED
    3 - puting openwrt firmware by the HowTo "recover from dead" --> WORKED
    4 - telneting to openwrt (after reset) --> WORKED
    5 - fdisk -l via telnet --> no answer as if there would be no drive
    6- rebooting via telnet, hoping to get the drive found --> brick is dead again, starting over with 3

this steps have been repeated in various combinations:
    - with drive as master or cable select jumpered
    - with unpartitioned drive or partitioned drive (using another computer for partitioning - ext3 and swap)

result always the same...
    - i can put openwrt on it, can telnet, no drive

is there anybody who can help me to understand the brick (even my wife is not that complicated ;-)???

Thanks
    brebblebox

Did you follow:
    "The step below can be followed if your router is still working properly or is not responding anymore.

1. Before you do anything to your router, first give your desktop computer a static IP address like 192.168.1.50. This is needed to be able to do the steps below. (From experience: Stop all the background programs like anti-virus of wirewall if the below steps don't work. Worse case, you need a clean Windows install)
    2. Now unplug the power cord of your router for about 10-20 seconds
    3. Hold the orange EZSetup-button while plugging power on
    4. Once the blue Ready LED is blinking unhold immediately EZSetup button.
    5. Wait 10 seconds
    6. Start the Firmware-Restore tool on your desktop computer to upload a working firmware (do not start it before any of the earlier steps).
    7. Press the Browse button to select a firmware file. E.g. "WL700gE_1.0.4.2.nas" and then press "Upload"
    8. Now a box will appear where you can see the router is being found and the firmware being uploaded. Once finished, the window will automatically close
    9. Do NOT turn off the router now, but wait for 1 or 2 minutes and you will notice that your router is still working even if in previous step the window automatically closed. The blue IDE LED will blink showing that your manchine is still processing some stuff and after a while the blue Ready LED and also the blue AIR LED will shine.
    10. Do NOT !!!!! NOT Press the Reset button !!!!! If you would do this, the router will become useless (untill you repeat step 1 again)
    11. Wait for the router to boot. After about a minute or so, the "Ready" light will come on.
    12. Now you can press the EZSetup-button for a few seconds until the start button starts blinking to configure the router with the EZ Setup Wizard software.
    "
    http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=6266

These instructions are what I followed without problems.
    I printed out the page and followed step by step - it took all of 10 minutes to get the thing fully up and running.
    When you replace the hard drive, the OS no longer exists as some/all of it is stored on the hard drive, so follow the instructions and you hopefully will have a new high capacity network storage router.

Update: I leave my laptop running pretty much 24/7 either bt'ing or leeching and have not had any problems with the asus/seagate. This is important because there are many writes/reads from these app's on a continuous basis. Seagate makes quality hard drives (in my opinion).

I have never attempted the OpenWRT firmware so your mileage may vary as the instructions are desgned for either the asus or customs-asus firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by brebblebox View Post
    my steps so far:
    1 - replacing the 106GB drive with the one above
    2 - trying to restore firmware with firmware-restaration-tool --> FAILED
    3 - puting openwrt firmware by the HowTo "recover from dead" --> WORKED
    4 - telneting to openwrt (after reset) --> WORKED
    5 - fdisk -l via telnet --> no answer as if there would be no drive
    6- rebooting via telnet, hoping to get the drive found --> brick is dead again, starting over with 3

this steps have been repeated in various combinations:
    - with drive as master or cable select jumpered
    - with unpartitioned drive or partitioned drive (using another computer for partitioning - ext3 and swap)

result always the same...
    - i can put openwrt on it, can telnet, no drive

is there anybody who can help me to understand the brick (even my wife is not that complicated ;-)???

Thanks
    brebblebox
    Hi ,
    maybe you can try this

-flash the openwrt image http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/f...4-squashfs.trx
    -telnet into the router
    -insert a usb stick
    -format the stick (mke2fs -j /dev/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1)
    -change root to usb ( /sbin/root2usb.sh)
    -reboot
    - now the internal HDD shout be seen in fdisk -l

Openwrt or Custom Firmware on asus? - http://wl700ge.hezik.nl/ - Http://wl700g.homelinux.net

My ASUS collection: WL500gp(80GB usb-hdd - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 7.09) | WL700gE(250GB - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 8.09rc1)

Thumbs up It works again...

After playing around some time I finally got it work again.
    For some reasons (which I dont know) the 1st trials to install drive and firmware didn't work, although I did the same than qz3fwd did.
    Flashing Openwrt on it did work but the hdd wasnt found... Flashing Openwrt, changing root2USB worked and the HDD was found after that (as promised by back2basic) but after root2hdd the whole thing was gone again.
    Finally I succeded by reflashing the asus_1.0.4.2.trx and the installation of the corresponding .nas, followed by the update to the modified 1.0.4.6-firmware.
    Don't know, why it didnt work in the beginning but now it works...

Tanks to U all 4 the support
    brebblebox

Next experiment:
    1 TB Hitachi HDD when they become avaliable.