Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vista & shared folders

Vista & shared folders

Is anyone having issue seeing the shared folders in Vista?

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlemont View Post
    AFAIK, Vista has deliberately gone out of its way to break compatibility with Samba.

Here are some references:
    http://schestowitz.com/UseNet/2006/A.../msg00004.html
    http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS4434907782.html
    http://www.cluecan.ca/node/599

Some information about Samba itself:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_%28software%29

IMO this is an intentional attempt by Microsoft to make Linux un-viable as a file and print server for Vista computers.

The ASUS WL700ge is essentially a Linux-based router and NAS device using iptables and Samba (respectively).

If you are intending to use Vista client computers (ugh!), then getting a Linux-based NAS device is possibly not a good idea. Having said that, there may be some ways to get it going:

http://nobluescreens.com/solutions/samba_vista.php

Good luck. I hope this helps.

PS:
    More evidence of Vista incompatibility with current versions of Samba (as used by the WL700ge NAS) here:
    http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/1...-vista-os.html
    Last edited by hal2k1; 01-01-2007 at 12:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlemont View Post
    It is working ok for me (Vista Ultimate)
    Lyf

It wasn't working for me (Vista business), but the tip in the link to nobluescreens above did the trick for me. Thanks a lot!

But there is one problem with Vista Home Premium/Basic.
    There isn't any 'secpol.msc'. Also 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Lsa\LmCompatibilityLevel=1' doesn't work.
    Any ideas for poor Home-Users?

Quote Originally Posted by hanseugen View Post
    But there is one problem with Vista Home Premium/Basic.
    There isn't any 'secpol.msc'. Also 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Lsa\LmCompatibilityLevel=1' doesn't work.
    Any ideas for poor Home-Users?
    As a temporary measure, you might try setting a favorite to the following URL:

ftp://192.168.1.1/shares/

Thank you for your help. But I use my WL-500gp as a Media-Server with Videos and Music on the external USB-HDD. In this case it is not a real good idea to use the Asus as a FTP-Server (No Spooling, Skipping and so on). But with this method I can save my datas :-)

Samba has caught up, but not ASUS WL700ge

According to this article:

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38544

Lately, Microsoft has also changed the way its LAN shares authentication works, and thus if you have a Linux-based Network Attached Storage (NAS) appliance, you might find that suddenly you cannot access shared folders from Vista. The open source camp had to play catch-up and release an update to Samba that implements Microsoft´s changes. But of course, not all hardware vendors have released updates to their NAS firmware, and if you have a NAS unit no longer supported by its vendor, then too bad. The result? The Vista users sees there's "a problem" with the NAS units... and blames the units, not Microsoft for changing the way authentication works, and faced with the choice of having to dump Vista or replace the NAS, they might end up choosing the latter.
    Is it possible to get the new version of Samba running under optware, to replace the "doesn't work with Vista" version as supplied in the ASUS firmware?

I did not notice any problems with samba2 package on mine two routers and Vista. On first I use default config, on second old config as it comes with Oleg firmware with additional shares added. I do not use passwords for shares though. Master browser is samba and not Vista!

When i had problems with this in the past i just opened a Explorer window and entered \\[router ip]\ in the address bar.

Should work if you have the Guest account enabled in the smb.conf

I have Vista Business and it works fine for me... (original firmware)

My brand new Dell E521 came with Vista Home Premium which out of the box would not cooperate with the Asus samba (works fine with Infrant though) and I kept getting the password dialog. I couldnt find the policy editor secpol.msc but there was the registry key LmCompat...Level which was 3 by default. I changed it to 1, rebooted, and bingo-No problem mapping shares to the Vista machine.

"There isn't any 'secpol.msc'."
    True

"Also 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Lsa\LmCompatibilityLevel=1' doesn't work."

The correct key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\
    Control\Lsa\LmCompatibilityLevel=1 (notice the space was between o and l in control.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by qz3fwd; 15-04-2007 at 05:35.

Talking vista home premium version fix

I had the same problem and tried also the register key fix. However had no luck and the only possibility was to access the files via ftp.

Yesterday I did look in more details to the solution proposed for Vista Ultima. Based on these settings I changed the firewall settings for my computer. The result was amazing. It works !

All the files are accessable from each computer within the network.
    I created a short description of the steps taken (I hope that I didn't forget anything) and added it as attachment to this forum message.

Feel free to inform me if this also works for you without making any change in the register keys !
    Attached Images Attached Images

question to "vista home premium version fix" by donald1

Thanks donald1,

Your instructions has been amazing, but one question, are there any form to configure Norton Firewall without have to desactivate?.

Sorry for my english

Bye

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by xancandal View Post
    Thanks donald1,

Your instructions has been amazing, but one question, are there any form to configure Norton Firewall without have to desactivate?.

Sorry for my english

Bye
    In theory this should be possible but I didn't do this.
    If I remember correctly is the difference between the Windows and the Norton (or other sophisticated) firewalls the fact that the Windows Firewall does allow all data to go out without checking. Only incoming data is being checked. By default Norotn checks both directions. Most propably you can disable the outgoing check or find the port number you need to enable.
    Maybe you can check ? I would be interested in the result.
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast