Thread: Wondershaper QoS discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've never changed the queue from CBQ to HTB! The HTB queue was used in wondershaper from the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.qdisc.classful.html#AEN939
    As said before, CBQ is the most complex qdisc available, the most hyped, the least understood, and probably the trickiest one to get right.
    I think, that was the reason for using the HTB queue.

Be good

Robert
    ISP: TV Cable 50/5 Mbit
    Modem: Arris Touchstone TM822S
    "NAS": 1000 GB 2.5" HDD, EXT4, (USB @ RT-AC87U)
    Router: Asus RT-AC87U 380.68 (Merlin build), vsftpd, Samba3, NFS, Transmission, PyLoad...)
    Clients: mittlerweile unzählige...

2. Yeah, I read only the first chapter with CBQ, then I found out it had also the version with HTB...

In the meantime, I'm working on marking the packets with iptables, but it doesn't come out well so far. Please could you check my setup?

Code:
    iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp -s 192.168.1.xxx --sport 80 \
       -j MARK --set-mark 0x1
    iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp -s 192.168.1.xxx --sport 80 \
       -j RETURN
    where 192.168.1.xxx is the private IP address of my NSLU2 unit (see diagram in my previous posts). I do add the second command because I intend to set the same set of rules also for ports 8080 and 8000, and then assign all ports above 1000 mark 0x2 (apart from those 8080 and 8000 already marked 0x1)

then in wshaper I try this command
    Code:
    tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1:0 protocol ip prio 1 handle fw 1 flowid 1:21
    but the output from the wshaper script for this particular line is
    Code:
    RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument
    What is wrong? What did I do wrong?
    Last edited by poutnik; 04-09-2006 at 15:32. Reason: correction of typo

3. My above problem solved. It is not possible to mix iptables mark with tc u32 match rules assignment for the same class.

But it still doesn't work well. Even if I try to mark packets as described above, the counter for the 1:21 class doesn't go up. Even if I change the marking rules to
    Code:
    iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp -s 84.42.xxx.yyy --sport 80 -j MARK --set-mark 1
    or anything different. In short either the iptables doesn't mark the packets, or the tc rules don't read the mark. I have spent more than 5 hours trying to solve this and still nothing...

Can anyone with working iptables marking and corresponding tc rules help? Thanks a lot

Jiri

Bridging and QoS

Hey guys,

I have a quite separate question on QoS. I want to use my Asus wl500g(x) as a bridging mode device with QoS, ie I want to connect to the LAN side of an existing router and perform QoS without making any IP level 3 routing changes to the LAN. Is that possible ? I have prepared to make source level changes and introduce additonal packages.

To be specific and clearer, this shall be a one-LAN-in-one-LAN-out device, one end connected to the LAN-side of an existing Firewall/Router ( hopefully this can be the WL500g WAN port ), and the other end can either be connected to the HUB or can be connected straight to LAN computers.

Cheers.
    Last edited by mctiew; 16-09-2006 at 03:34. Reason: make it clearer

Bridge QoS

Hmmm maybe this is what I will try :-

1) add vlan1 into bridge br0
    2) perform shaping on vlan0 and vlan1 respectively.

Wish me good luck and appreciate your comments.
    Last edited by mctiew; 16-09-2006 at 08:27. Reason: mistake

Does not work :(

Hey,

I have a fully working wl500gx, with Oleg's 1.9.2.7 firmware, with an USB harddisk and swap partition. I'm running enhanced-ctorrent on it.

My problem is that enchanced ctorrent eats up all the bandwidth. If I limit the upload bandwidth (-U switch), it more or less works, however, there are big spikes every 4-5 seconds (~500ms ping time), then they go back to 20-40. These sudden spikes really makes skype go crazy, and also, I'm limiting torrent upload to 20Kbyte/s, while I have ~30Kbyte/s upload bandwidth (what a waste ). So I went and started wondershaper like this:

/sbin/wshaper vlan1 3600 220

(My net connection is 4M down, 256k up - I know, I know. It was chosen by the HR department)

Of course this alone doesn't help much, so I checked the wshaper script and saw that tagging TOS to 0x10 (lowest latency) puts everything into the 1st priority queue. So I inserted a rule on my desktop PC:

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j TOS --set-tos 0x10

This has helped a lot, ssh connections are blazing fast, ping is down to 20-40 all the time despite enchanced-ctorrent is uploading ~20Kbyte/s.

This is good, BUT:
    If I start an upload (like scp'ing something to a remote server or send an email), enchanced-ctorrent stays at ~20Kbyte/s upload and scp/email is sent with ~10Kbyte/s, despite the TOS field mangling. I don't get it! All traffic from the desktop pc gets the 0x10 TOS bit set because of the mangling rule, and the wshaper puts every such packet into the first, high priority queue. How come it doesn't work then?

Any help would be appreciated!

I don't own a WL-500gx but what happens if you use eth0 or eth1 (whichever is the WAN port)?

qdisc of the type PRIO

Hi all,
    I wonder if it's just me or if some other people face the same issue.
    When trying the script from
    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Q...g+PRIO+and+HTB
    I run into the problem implementing PRIO qdisc.
    The script line
    tc qdisc add dev eth1 root handle 1: prio bands 2 priomap 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
    fails stating
    RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

I suspect the prio qdisc type is not implemented in our wl500g firmware. Can anybody
    elaborate on this?

Tx,

Molsak