Thread: wl500gp range

wl500gp range

Just purchased the wl500gp and installed the cdma patched firmware from http://koppel.cz/cdmawifi/download/162/

have previously used wl500g for this task with flawless operation.

to my surprise the premium does not provide the range its ancestor had. basically, i get maybe half of it, regardless of the box ad stating bigger range and better speed. It's the router with the worst coverage so far, and I just compared it with the WRT54gl from Linksys, the 500g, the FON La Fonera and a Dlink AP. could this be due to some driver in the firmware i use, a hardware malfunction or it's just the range this router normally has?

please not that wireless settings are correct.

any similar experiences anyone?

Yes i compared the range of this router with my Netgear DG834GT and it's worst
    for me too!!

Anyway i think that is a firmware problem becaus i'm experiencing also a very slow bitrate from the wired lan (for example trying to watch a divx in streaming)

I hope that they will fix these problem!!!

byez

hey i just installed the previous firmware (1.9.7.0) and the range is much better!!!

Incredible!!!

anyway i'm sure that soon will be released a firmware that will let use all the potentiality of this router!!!!

Byez

Hi cfree,

I have a very similar experience with replacing my WL-500g with a new WL-500gP. WL-500gP provides at the same conditions (the same Olegs FW, the same standard 3 dBi antenna, the same settings: 19 mW radio power, etc.) only a "half" of the coverage of my old WL-500g.

I also tried to increase the radio power, but the wireless connection of my WL-500gP becomes instable, if I set the radio power > 24 mW. The signal level seems to be good, but I have a lot of lost pakets and the router is nearly unreachable.

So I'm currently using WL-500gP with 24 mW output power and even worst coverage than I had with WL-500g. Never change a running system...

Regards

Robert
    ISP: TV Cable 50/5 Mbit
    Modem: Arris Touchstone TM822S
    "NAS": 1000 GB 2.5" HDD, EXT4, (USB @ RT-AC87U)
    Router: Asus RT-AC87U 380.68 (Merlin build), vsftpd, Samba3, NFS, Transmission, PyLoad...)
    Clients: mittlerweile unzählige...

The problem is known and it is the BCM4318 wlan chip and wl driver incompatibility resulting in poor sensitivity. the wl driver is old and not fully support new braodcom chips.
    You should swap this wlan module to some with Atheros chipset based and use madwifi driver or try with Kamikaze...

Best range?

Which of the asus routers w, g or gp, have the best range when using with normal laptop with integrated 54mbit wireless?

I say: wl-500g or wl-500g deluxe

Regards

Robert
    Router: Asus RT-AC87U 380.68 (Merlin build), vsftpd, Samba3, NFS, Transmission, PyLoad...)

Quote Originally Posted by akbor View Post
    I say: wl-500g or wl-500g deluxe

Regards

Robert
    Interesting, mu thinking is that the more antennas the better range!?
    Why do you thing the g modell with only one antenna should have better range than the w modell with three?

/A

Hey, I just answered your question "Which of the asus routers w, g or gp, have the best range when using with normal laptop with integrated 54mbit wireless? " If you have a 802.11n adapter in your laptop, maybe wl-500w will provide a better coverage.

Regards

Robert