Thread: openwrt on asus WL-500g

openwrt on asus WL-500g

Hello,

I succeeded in installing openwrt with the immage from openwrt asus500g .
    Now I can use all the iproute2 commands, do traffic shaping with tc qdisc, have IPv6 support and have a powerfull php capable webserver (thttp2.2). Also the busybox has more commands (among them awk util, which makes live much easier).

The default setup script provided with this distribution has some minor faults that are easily changed. For WLAN one has to rely on the wl utility.
    Now, I can not get the WLAN working properly. I insert the follwing commands:

wl rmwep 0
    wl rmwep 1
    wl rmwep 2
    wl rmwep 3
    wl addwep 0 1122334455
    wl addwep 1 1122334455
    wl addwep 2 1122334455
    wl addwep 3 1122334455
    wl primary_key 0
    wl wep on

but cannot connect. Also with wl wep off no connection. I use a NOKIA C110 wlan card that connects properly using the latest OLEG 1.7.9.3 software.

Does anyone know how to extract the exact settings under the 1.7.9.3 software and re-enter them in the openwrt enviroment. In the OLEG software the utilities wlconfig and wlcfg are used. What's the difference with wl utility?

Any suggestions are welcome.

PS. Anybody who wants to know more about the openwrt installation, just contact me.

A question?

My english is very little sorry.

How do you install the openwrt on asus 500g?

I tried this from web and I received an error (Upgrade Fail)

So Oleg has some competition here

QoS using tc qdisk is provided by the custom firmwares from Oleg as well (take a look at the /init/wshaper script).

php enabled webserver is a cool feature. Does it have an advanced FTP server (any FTP server should be more advanced then stupid-ftp) as well?

Will you publish the corrected setup script back to the openwrt community and can you link a *.trx here? Thanks.

Openwrt is not quiet competition for the Oleg firmware. The openwrt's are rather 'bare'; no web interface and it comes without any installed package. The trx I installed on the Asus is this one:
    openwrtj0407190.trx
    It is a derivate of a openwrt port for asus and comes with (almost all) packages preinstalled. Among them the utils 'ip' and 'tc' of the iproute2 package. Use the recovery mode and util (or tftp) to install the firmware (through the web you will get a version conflict error). Indeed Oleg integrated QoS functionaly in the last version. However (see this thread ) it is lacking support for ipv6 and some of the iptables targets libraries (see this thread) are not included.
    The CZ distribution has all these features included and properly working. Included is a tsjech readme.txt form which one can derive the necessary things. The changes in the setup script are lost since my last reload of firmware. Currently I am running 1.7.5.9cr5 from Oleg because (see this post) the WLAN is not working properly for me under openwrt.
    Therefore, I want to put some effort in adding ipv6 support to Olegs version (recompiling the toolchain with ipv6 option enabled) and to include the correct iptable libraries.
    A nice full-featured ftp server is to my knowledge not available as an openwrt package.
    Good-luck with openwrt!

is it just :

tftp the trx to ASUSPACELINK ?

I understand that there is a recover.sh there which seems to be the command to use. Just wondering if that ASUSPACELINK remote file name a must as on WRT54G, I don't have to specify any thing for the .bin.

BTW, there is a ftp package(and many others like openvpn, openswan etc.) for openwrt which together I believe extend it well beyond any other custom firmware for WRT54G and siblings. The only thing left is the web interface which IMO is not needed anyway as there is no one web interface that can grow with additional packages. WEBMIN may be such a thing but why bother to include such a large package on such a small device. Just use dropbear and ssh into it to make changes.
    Last edited by chipanzee; 21-09-2004 at 06:04.

Exclamation Trx

I've yust got an wl 500-g and i've tried to connect my HP 710c deskjetprinter. With the delivered program i can't get it done but i've read somewere that with an update of the program the problem should be solved. I've download firmware 1927 but this has an trx extension. Which program do I need to install the new firmware?

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Knegt
    I've yust got an wl 500-g and i've tried to connect my HP 710c deskjetprinter. With the delivered program i can't get it done but i've read somewere that with an update of the program the problem should be solved. I've download firmware 1927 but this has an trx extension. Which program do I need to install the new firmware?
    are you talking about OpenWRT at all ?

but I strongly suggest you to start reading the manual which came with the WL500g

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Quote Originally Posted by sodb
    The trx I installed on the Asus is this one:
    openwrtj0407190.trx
    The server seems to be down. Is their somewhere a mirror ?

Thanks
    Lionking

Quote Originally Posted by Lionking
    The server seems to be down. Is their somewhere a mirror ?

Thanks
    Lionking
    For the time being try to search this site: http://jak.kvalitne.cz/pub/puma.habr...00/_index.html
    It will be trashed soon. The original site should be alive in future but...