Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firmware v1.8.1.7 GPL Sources

Firmware v1.8.1.7 GPL Sources

this is the officially released GPL source code by Asus, used for compiling firmware version 1.8.1.7

you can find it here for downloading:
    ftp://www.asus.it/pub/ASUS/wireless/...3/GPL_1817.zip
    ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/wirel...3/GPL_1817.zip
    http://www.asus.com.cn/pub/ASUS/wire...3/GPL_1817.zip

these are probably dead or not yet up:
    http://www.asuscom.de/pub/ASUS/wirel...3/GPL_1817.zip
    http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireles...3/GPL_1817.zip
    http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/wire...3/GPL_1817.zip

mirrored @ chupa.nl: (please only use this link when the others are dead or veryvery slow) NOT YET UP
    http://files.wl500g.info/asus/wl500g/gpl/GPL_1817.zip

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby
    The source code is also available at http://www.asuscom.de/pub/ASUS/wirel...3/GPL_1817.zip
    In fact this is a tar.gz file, not a zip! so use
    Code:
    tar xzf GPL_1756.zip
    for unpacking.

These new sources a looks better than previous one. They are now allow to mostly rebuilt the firmware from scratch.
    But they still have precompiled only version for ov51x stuff & parport.
    Also, these sources contains new broadcom toolchain based on gcc 3.2.3 (vs pre 3.0) and uclibc 0.9.19. This toolchain seems to have g++ compiled.

Out of topic, but gathered from sources:
    Some info regarding upcoming wl500gx - it's based on bcm5365 CPU running at 200 MHz (vs 125 for wl500g) and seems to have 16MB of RAM (just like wl500g). FLASH size could not be determined, but probably it's 4MB (just like wl500g has). This seems to be netgear 634 alike, but with 2 USB 2.0 ports. Also, bcm5365 has integrated ethernet switch and WAN port should not die anymore.
    Also, some interesting thing - wl500gx will allow to connect USB audio card.
    Other ASUS model - wl500gl - seems to be Light - it does not contain USB & LPT ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    These new sources a looks better than previous one. They are now allow to mostly rebuilt the firmware from scratch.
    But they still have precompiled only version for ov51x stuff & parport.
    Also, these sources contains new broadcom toolchain based on gcc 3.2.3 (vs pre 3.0) and uclibc 0.9.19. This toolchain seems to have g++ compiled.

Out of topic, but gathered from sources:
    Some info regarding upcoming wl500gx - it's based on bcm5365 CPU running at 200 MHz (vs 125 for wl500g) and seems to have 16MB of RAM (just like wl500g). FLASH size could not be determined, but probably it's 4MB (just like wl500g has). This seems to be netgear 634 alike, but with 2 USB 2.0 ports. Also, bcm5365 has integrated ethernet switch and WAN port should not die anymore.
    Also, some interesting thing - wl500gx will allow to connect USB audio card.
    Other ASUS model - wl500gl - seems to be Light - it does not contain USB & LPT ports.
    very nice
    only bad if the wl500gx would only have 16mb of memory.. anyway some other big competitor of Asus is willing to upgrade the wl500g(x) to a higher amount of memory for me if needed..

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    very nice
    only bad if the wl500gx would only have 16mb of memory.. anyway some other big competitor of Asus is willing to upgrade the wl500g(x) to a higher amount of memory for me if needed..
    Now I'm getting curious.......

Where can you get a board with >16MB???

Quote Originally Posted by erik_bies

12345678910enke, so where?

wow, great! a g++ compiler!
    *leech*

Quote Originally Posted by erik_bies

eh you can't.. but the current board should be able to address 128mb

and when you have the correct chips it should be possible to replace them with the current ones.. at home i don't have this equipment but companies like other big taiwanese motherboard maker does have this stuff in house ofcourse where i have my needed contact..

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    eh you can't.. but the current board should be able to address 128mb

and when you have the correct chips it should be possible to replace them with the current ones.. at home i don't have this equipment but companies like other big taiwanese motherboard maker does have this stuff in house ofcourse where i have my needed contact..
    That will make it a mighty little box, 200Mhz & 128MB mem.
    a USB2 connection.... well, that just makes a perfect @ home webserver. (it can run than a regular version of apache etc)

You have any more details, is it just desoldering the current mem chips and replace it with larger ones (are the larger ones pin compatible?).
    Is this something that might be possible with the current version as well?

Ok, keep us posted!

Hi Erik

The WL500g cant be upgradet, it is hardware limited to 16MB. Sure, the 500gx has a Chipset suporting up to 512MB i read, but for larger Dram you need regularly some more wires and wierings. if they are not acessible at some pad, it wouldn´t be posible (*'!§% BGA Chips )

My company has gear for handling SMD components, I've worked with it and I think my boss wouldn't mind when I did some private stuff with it. But if the DRAM chips are BGA, the machines might be able to handle them, but I can't.

BTW: it seems to me that standard DRAM chips use the same number of pins and pinlayout for different memory sizes. But I might be mistaken.

Hi

The Rams are "normal" SMD Drams with Pins, as you can see in the Pictures. Sure you can desolder them with a good desoldering station. The Package of the most Ram sizes is equal, thats right, but the pinout slightly differes from size to size. For more adress space you need more lines, and if they are not foreseen by the developers of the 500gx there is no good chance to get them because the Cpu is in BGA and so access to the needet blobs under the chip is impossible.
    But this is all speculative, so lets see when it gets released, i´m waiting

P.s: If you are interrested in Dram replacement, look at the GP32 Dram Upgrade, its an ARM Cpu but it showes what it around with the needet adress lines.

Quote Originally Posted by WlanMan
    Hi

The Rams are "normal" SMD Drams with Pins, as you can see in the Pictures. Sure you can desolder them with a good desoldering station. The Package of the most Ram sizes is equal, thats right, but the pinout slightly differes from size to size. For more adress space you need more lines, and if they are not foreseen by the developers of the 500gx there is no good chance to get them because the Cpu is in BGA and so access to the needet blobs under the chip is impossible.
    But this is all speculative, so lets see when it gets released, i´m waiting
    Well, I don't know why the RAM upgrade is discussed in GPL v1.8.1.7 thread...
    So just a short comment...
    You don't need any special desoldering station - just a hot-air gun can do the job - of course you must cover other components a bit.
    There should not be a problem to double RAM memory as the chips have exactly the same pinouts including address lines:
    Original chips (4Mx16): http://www.amictechnology.com/pdf/A43L2616.pdf
    Alternative chips (8Mx16): http://www.amictechnology.com/pdf/A43L3616.pdf
    This rule should be valid for other chip manufacturers as well.
    Who will be the first tester?

Quote Originally Posted by Technik
    You don't need any special desoldering station - just a hot-air gun can do the job - of course you must cover other components a bit.
    There should not be a problem to double RAM memory as the chips have exactly the same pinouts including address lines:
    Technik you are right, the chips have the same layout, but i am not sure if the necessary adress lines are all provided to the memory chips, which would lead to a similar patch as for the GP32

Quote Originally Posted by Technik
    what seems to be more interessting is v54c3128. Just for informational purposes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast