Thread: replace burnt transistor?

replace burnt transistor?

Hello all,
    I stupidly destroyed my asus wl500G by pluging in the wrong power supply (30v instead of 5v ). So now my nice asus is dead, but I still have hope: I can see that the first transistor after the power inlet is burnt, so I hope maybe I can solder a new one in it. Now my question/request: does anyone know what exactly the type of this transistor is?

I also upload a picture so I hope it is clear which part I mean. It looks like it's called "L22" but I am not sure because it is burnt so I can't read it properly. My asus is a WL 500 G R2.40.

thx
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Transistors normally have three pins (see the larger one near it), this could be a resistor, diode or a fuse, which would make sense. If it's a fuse, you could try to bridge it with a short cable, or by soldering. This could work, a long there's no reason for the no more existing fuse to melt (means overcurrent again).
    Is L22 printed on the PCB or on the burnt fuse(?)?
    Does anybody know what kind of parts are normally tagged with Lnn?

Pcb

It's printed on the PCB, the 'fuse' or chip or whatever it was (it makes sense to suppose it was a fuse) is so damaged it is impossible to read anything that may have been on it.

Your answer matches my guess: the rest of the asus looks really neat, and because this part comes directly after the inlet for the power I indeed hope it is only a fuse (or has this function). Actually I'm glad you suggest I could try just by-pass it, I was considering doing so.

Thx for thinking along, if anyone could indeed confirm this is probably just a fuse, then I will gladly grab my soldering stuff.

Talking It worked

Well I just hot-wired that thing and guess what: it works!
    Wauw, really good little piece of machinery, taking 6 times the amount of electricity it'sd made for, and still alive and kicking. So that part that burned _was_ indeed a fuse, and did exactly what a fuse is meant for.

I join a bad mobile phone pic of my crappy soldering - but hey, it works!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You are really lucky !

But now that you hot wired the fuse, the next mistake will be fatal to your unit !
    The Struggle Continues...
    Asus WL500g #1 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as main home gateway, with Philipps PWC730k
    Asus WL500g #2 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as Wireless Client, running palantir 2.6 with SPCA5xx camera on 128MB generic USB key

Prefix L is often used for inductance.

I would put a fuse in instead of hot wiring the box. Next mistake and your box will burn...

It is not a fuse, fuses are labled Fx, if it is anything like the 500gx.

Maybe an owner of another WL-500g could take a HQ picture and post it here, so we can find out what that burned thing really is?

should be probably some insurance diode - when you look at "center pin" of power outlet, you can see another one "connected" to ground? (on the picture it's "under" your "hot-wire")... so check this second with multimeter if it's diode or what...
    Last edited by jimmy_cr; 20-12-2006 at 16:00.

the gx has the same thing, it is two coils, just look at the schematic.