Thread: Unstable wireless connection (standing right next to router)

Unstable wireless connection (standing right next to router)

I've got some problems with the wireless connection to my wl500g. I've got the router right under the desk, but sometimes the connection just breaks and takes at least a minute to come up again.

Also, even when the connection is holding up, I've got problems streaming audio to the Audio dongle on the router (got esd running). When I connect with a patch cable, audio streaming is perfect, when I do it over wireless (and again, I'm less than 1m away from the antenna), the audio is all skippy.

Somebody told me that this might be due to other networks interfering, so I changed the channel from 11 to 1. This seems to have improved the situation somewhat, but it's still breaking too often, and audio is still skippy. Also, I tried lowering the setting for beacon interval to 70, 50, 10, but that didn't improve the situation very much (in fact, setting it to 10 worsened it).

Any pointers? Are there other settings that I could try playing around with?

Quote Originally Posted by lodp View Post
    I've got some problems with the wireless connection to my wl500g. I've got the router right under the desk, but sometimes the connection just breaks and takes at least a minute to come up again.

Also, even when the connection is holding up, I've got problems streaming audio to the Audio dongle on the router (got esd running). When I connect with a patch cable, audio streaming is perfect, when I do it over wireless (and again, I'm less than 1m away from the antenna), the audio is all skippy.

Somebody told me that this might be due to other networks interfering, so I changed the channel from 11 to 1. This seems to have improved the situation somewhat, but it's still breaking too often, and audio is still skippy. Also, I tried lowering the setting for beacon interval to 70, 50, 10, but that didn't improve the situation very much (in fact, setting it to 10 worsened it).

Any pointers? Are there other settings that I could try playing around with?

Please give some information about your environnment : what is you WLan adapter ? are you using WEP? WPA?
    The Struggle Continues...
    Asus WL500g #1 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as main home gateway, with Philipps PWC730k
    Asus WL500g #2 with fw 1.9.2.7-7f running as Wireless Client, running palantir 2.6 with SPCA5xx camera on 128MB generic USB key

I'm using the Intel PRO/Wireless chipset in my centrino laptop; the encryption is WPA.

Also, I forgot to mention I'm running the latest Oleg firmware (7f as of now).

have you updated to the latest Intel PRO/Wireless Drivers?
    I think 10.5.0.3 is the newest (for the bg2200 chipset). Solved my Problems.

thanks for that, would never have thought of it. i installed the latest drivers (both on windows and kubuntu-linux, which is my primary OS).

at first i thought things were better after that, but in fact it hasn't.

since i changed the channel to 1, at least the connection doesn't really go down anymore. the wireless-LED just goes off for like half a second, page load stalls, and the streaming audio goes skippy.

have you tried placing your router further away?

it's not an ideal situation when you are located right NEXT to the router

it may 'interference' its own signal because it may be too strong to handle at such short distance

furthermore the intel chipset sux, i've got one too unfortunately

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

my router is under the desk. if i move like 10m away with the laptop (with a wall between, things are pretty much the same.

Hi there
    It is a problem of Win XP trying to aquire for the new networks and possible connections every 3 or so minutes. If you have several networks nearby better to switch Wireless Zero Configuration service off. Right click "My computer">manage>services and go to Wireless Zero Configuration service and after your network is connected select "Properties" and change from n"automated" to "Mabnual" and "Stop" this service.

hm -- thanks for the tip, but i'm on kubuntu-linux here. i don't think that it's trying to connect to those networks constantly, but i'll check up on it.

well, at least the connection is barely breaking anymore -- it's just that the connection seems to stall at times, and streaming audio to the router is very skippy.

try this

ok i know this is stupid but i had this problem.
    maybe u re having some interference from other devices?
    my home wireless used to just drop suddenly ...out of blue...then i kinda noticed it hapens every time the phone rings...i have a 2.4GHz cordless phone that was causing it. everythime it rings it powers up its transmitter and the wireless goes shot.
    so what i did was change the channel as far as i could and that solved it. try different channels. microwaves and other type of transmitter devices can also cause this.
    good luck

thanks for that. didn't know cordless phones cause that kind of problem... i just remembered the old lady upstairs uses one of these (i even helped her install the damn thing! curse you, mutual aid!). also, there are other wireless networks in the area on channel 11.

i switched to channel 7 now, after reading up on it on wikipedia -- it says the wireless channels which are non-overlapping in europe are 1,7, and 13 (as opposed to 1,6,11 in north america). seems to have done the job! connection is very stable now, and streaming audio on the usb-dongle on the router hardly skips anymore.

thanks, everyone!