Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: ASUS WL-700gE custom firmware released - (1.0.4.2-1)

Quote Originally Posted by d3viant View Post
    I was hoping that the lights would be controlled from somewhere within the linux /proc structure - but thats a pure guess

If theyre in there somewhere, its just a case of finding them and changing a one to a zero in the file or something. Otherwise it becomes harder as a dig through the firmware source code is required. It is ok for the time being as the torrent client doesn't work amazingly well - so it isnt downloading anything (so I turn it off at night) but once downloads work properly, I will be wanting to leave it running :P
    I totally agree. There's some documentation that comes with the GPL source from Broadcom that talks about the GPIO triggers and such. You might be able to find something in there. The docs that came with the sources helped me get started figuring out what goes where and how certain things work when it comes to the OS and other functions.

I was hoping that the lights would be controlled from somewhere within the linux /proc structure - but thats a pure guess

If theyre in there somewhere, its just a case of finding them and changing a one to a zero in the file or something. Otherwise it becomes harder as a dig through the firmware source code is required. It is ok for the time being as the torrent client doesn't work amazingly well - so it isnt downloading anything (so I turn it off at night) but once downloads work properly, I will be wanting to leave it running :P
    OpenWRT has gpio control binary: http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=35928#p35928
    Last edited by MoD; 15-11-2006 at 08:12.

Strange behavior when update the firmware from web interface

I'm working on new customized firmware. What is interesting, when I flash it from web interface, it is written to the router but not activized.

The web page with progress bar comes saying that reboot is in progress. It seems that it is a web page with 2 minutes javascript timer that on exit redirects back to some page. In paralel I have telnet session open. It never gets disconnected. Only when I reboot router from telnet, the new firmware is activised.

Maybe this is because of developement bug. But still - interesting,....

Hmm, maybe the open telnet session is causing the router to not reboot?

No idea why this would be the case, but the firmware code is sort of a mess

I had a problem with this on the first firmware upgrade - from 1.0.4.1 to 1.0.4.6 but since then it has worked through the web interface no problem.

Hmm, maybe the open telnet session is causing the router to not reboot?

No idea why this would be the case, but the firmware code is sort of a mess

I had a problem with this on the first firmware upgrade - from 1.0.4.1 to 1.0.4.6 but since then it has worked through the web interface no problem.
    good point. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MoD View Post
    I'm working on new customized firmware. What is interesting, when I flash it from web interface, it is written to the router but not activized.

The web page with progress bar comes saying that reboot is in progress. It seems that it is a web page with 2 minutes javascript timer that on exit redirects back to some page. In paralel I have telnet session open. It never gets disconnected. Only when I reboot router from telnet, the new firmware is activised.

Maybe this is because of developement bug. But still - interesting,....
    Funny, I had a similar problem last night trying to flash a freshly compiled firmware. The flash of my latest & not-so-greatest compile went fine. The router reboots, and almost everything came back up (except samba, and it didn't mount the HD either ) When I flashed a previous version to get everything back in running order, all I got was the same thing. A progress bar, but as far as I could tell the router didn't do anything, nor did the 'Ready' light ever go off. Afterwards I had to shut it down and turn it back on, and it completed the flashing and all was good again.

My first attempt to add a custom boot script was semi-successful. I'm not sure where I went wrong, but I have 2 thoughts. First one is a mod I made to busybox didn't compile right, and that caused some system confusion, or it attempted to look for my custom script but where I stored it on the HD get's nuked everytime it reboots, so that threw it off. Either way it's gonna require some tinkering.

Most of the created directories will disappear upon a reboot - the source code appears to build the filesystem dynamically on power on...

Quote Originally Posted by fireflash View Post
    Funny, I had a similar problem last night trying to flash a freshly compiled firmware. The flash of my latest & not-so-greatest compile went fine. The router reboots, and almost everything came back up (except samba, and it didn't mount the HD either )
    Exactly! if something goes wrong, HDD is not mounted I also do not know were I was wrong

Exactly! if something goes wrong, HDD is not mounted I also do not know were I was wrong
    Interesting... I've never seen this behavior. Maybe it's a something specific to 1.0.4.2?

- K.C.

Hmm, no luck with that gpio binary, I copied it across to my share, but running /share/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/gpio from the router gives gpio: not found

running . gpio in the directory gives not found: ELF (then 3 diamonds)

It seems like it isn't compiled quite right for the wl-700ge...

although there is a .c source file - does anyone know how i would go about compiling this specifically for the wl-700ge?

Hmm, no luck with that gpio binary, I copied it across to my share, but running /share/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/gpio from the router gives gpio: not found

although there is a .c source file - does anyone know how i would go about compiling this specifically for the wl-700ge?
    i guess it is uClibc compiled. you have to install uClibc or recompile with glibc.

Right, seeing as I don't appear to be able to install uclibc on my router right now, how do I go about compiling it on a linux box with glibc?

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    Interesting... I've never seen this behavior. Maybe it's a something specific to 1.0.4.2?

- K.C.
    I'm messing with the 1.0.4.6 source, so it's not version specific. I'm hoping my problem had to do with the missing script I had written. I've moved it to a safer location (safe from boot-time nukings anyways) so I'll take another stab at it eventually. Right now I'm going to take a small break from trying to brick my router and try and brick my iMac. lol

There's a gpio binary in the router. Hopefully some of the Broadcom docs Asus provided explains how to use it.

Unfortunately, the provided gpio program SIGSEGV's when you try to run it - another ASUS bug I think

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast