Thread: WL-HDD performance tweaking

WL-HDD performance tweaking

Hi

Can someone give me some pointers on how to improve the transfer performance of the wl-hdd? The rates I am getting now are less than a mb per second.

I have installed oleg's firmware.

I'm guessing you're talking about the performance of Samba.

If so, try adding

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY

to your global section of the smb.conf file and restart samba.

How are you measuring the performance? I think I get about 1.5Mb/sec writing to my WL-HDD using the windows task manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Ade View Post
    I'm guessing you're talking about the performance of Samba.

If so, try adding

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY

to your global section of the smb.conf file and restart samba.

How are you measuring the performance? I think I get about 1.5Mb/sec writing to my WL-HDD using the windows task manager.
    Hi

Well, I am also talking about samba. It is also slow if ftp or scp is used. I have tried the socket options you described, but still no luck. Samba transfer speed is capped at ~840kb/s.

I measure the speed by sending a 100 mb file and time (e.g. time scp testdata 192.168.1.220: ).

I am somewhat envious of your transfer speed. Can I get you to do a "nvram show" and post it?

I like the wl-hdd, but it seems to be borne slow. 1.5 mb/s is much better than mine, but considering that it is sold as a 54mbit device it is somewhat disappointing

I was going to post my nvram contents but they are rather large and they do contain stuff like WPA passphrase, and I'm not sure how much use it will be.

I thought that the main culprit of slow speed was the hard drive.
    I'm currently using a 40 Gb Samsung MP0402H SpinPoint M40, 2.5" ATA-6, 5400 rpm, 8MB Cache, 12 ms.

Have you tried measuring speed to a fast flash stick?

I do not think it is the drive, as it is considerably faster than the speeds I am experiencing (as well as any usb1.1 device). I tested it with hdparm and got the following results (they are slightly slower than optimal, as I were downloading a rather large file at the time):

hdparm -tT /dev/discs/disc0/disc

Timing cached reads: 88 MB in 2.01 seconds = 43.78 MB/sec
    Timing buffered disk reads: 16 MB in 3.14 seconds = 5.10 MB/sec

The drive is a 80gb Seagate Momentus.

I must admit I am at my wits end. Which incidentally was why I asked for the nvram printout - I pretty much hope that there is some ridiculous setting I have overlooked (preferably on the form: fast = false; )
    Last edited by rumagent; 29-11-2006 at 23:43.

My figures for hdparm -Tt are :-

Timing cached reads: 108 MB in 2.06 seconds = 52.43 MB/sec
    Timing buffered disk reads: 26 MB in 3.09 seconds = 8.41 MB/sec

but like you say, these are way faster than you need.

Have you tried connecting by a ethernet cable to see if it's just your wireless link that is slow?

Do you use a swap partition?

Hi!

I too was annoyed by the slow transfer speeds when using smb-shares.

I now use nfs-exports and rsync.

iTunes/iTunes Music/Autechre/Tri Repetae/1-03 Leterel.mp3
    10331453 100% 12.13MB/s 0:00:00 (xfer#7, to-check=3938/7161)
    iTunes/iTunes Music/Autechre/Tri Repetae/1-04 Rotar.mp3
    11676099 100% 11.86MB/s 0:00:00 (xfer#8, to-check=3937/7161)
    iTunes/iTunes Music/Autechre/Tri Repetae/1-05 Stud.mp3
    13981656 100% 3.36MB/s 0:00:03 (xfer#9, to-check=3936/7161)
    But i can’t believe these numbers. Nor the stats from my networkconnections-utility. Anyway, it seems to be much faster than rsync over ssh (dropbear eats cpu) or smb (smb of course eats cpu too).

There is an ipgk-package for rsync which without further configuration starts the deamon.

nfs-exports can be added vie the Asus-web-interface.

Ok, the above post was written when using the LAN Port, when i rsync to a nfs export via WLAN it is really fast! Transfer speed with rsync or normal file copy is between four and eight Megabytes per second. Transfering a 1GB avi takes 15 minutes. And there is no guessing in these numbers.

When i play music on th WL-HDD the 1GB file transfer takes twice the time but the sound is not garbled. But this is only via WLAN. When i did file transfers via the LAN port the sound always got garbled.

Odd, isn’t it?

How do you measure speed? 1 gb in fifteen minutes is approximately 1.1 mb/sec, which is pretty standard on the wl-hdd.

Sorry for writing so much BS, of course my WL-harddisk gives between one and two MB pes second.

For some reason the NFS share wasn’t mountet correctly and the Mac wrote to a folder on it’s own harddrive.

So nfs does not seem to be faster than smb or ftp, but it uses less CPU.

Couldn’t you gain some perfomance via hdparm like this guy on his Terastation?

http://www.enosnusnu.de/index.php?/a...uf-der-TS.html