Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Controlling (torrent) downloads thru webpage

Controlling (torrent) downloads thru webpage

Hi to all!

I'm considering to buy Asus 500g Premium, but I'm little worried about the official software/firmware included and all the problems I've heard. So if there's someone with time and knowledge, please answer my questions..

1) In any of these available firmwares for 500gp, does any of them include or support controlling downloads, especially torrents, via webpage?

It would be cool to download from WAN side, and control the downloads (add, remove, pause etc.) from LAN and maybe even WAN side using web.

2) Do I get rid of "lousy" performance of 500G that I've heard by using non-Asus fw?

Thanks in advance!

1. It can probably be done in the custom fiormware thru a special install
    2. the standard firmware has an excellent performance at my place. The custom firmware does not contribute extar speed afaik, only special usage.

option 1 would be great to have and also for me its slow to download on my router =(

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin View Post
    option 1 would be great to have and also for me its slow to download on my router =(
    Well, what would be exclellent, is something like uTorrent's WebUI. Adding new torrents and everything is so much more faster with UI like that. Maybe we'll get something like that in future.

Transmission package does this web UI without need for PHP or special http server. busyboc_httpd does the job.
    Features
    * batch multiprocessing (eg. 10 torrents simultaneously with nice priority)
    * automatic seeding when torrent finishes (configurable)
    * configurable ports
    * WWW interface transmission.cgi can be public (no password) as there is no delete provided.
    * Accelerator keys (ALT-key) for CGI interface. See help for underlined keys.
    * Per torrent and cumulative status
    * start/stop/push and other commands avalable in WWW interface
    * lightweight - low memory footprint
    * tracker scrape info. Suggest best seed torrent from target dir.
    * watchdog for auto restart/queue processing with cron
    * syslog watchdog events
    * mail notify when torrent finishes
    * no state database required. Directory tree is database (slow, but failsafe)
    * stable and portable. Deloped on Asus WL-500g Deluxe

Workflow

For queue torrent file processing there should exist tree directories:
    source User should copy .torrent files here
    work Used for torrent processing
    target Place where finished torrents are put.

Typical file flow is source -> work -> target For every torrent file from source, directory with the same name is created. Then torrent file is moved into this directory and transmissiond is run in background and constantly supervised with transmission_watchdog.

The next clickable image shows how CGI interface looks like:

This figure shows transfer logs and command buttons for CGI interface:

Just beautiful!

EDIT: Uhh.. Just noticed there was already something like I said down here.... ! Excellent.

One suggestion - could it be possible to add new torrents using web-interface by using only http-addresses of .torrent-files?

For example:
    1) while surfing I notice some intresting torrent at http://linux.mybookmarkmanager.com/t....7.iso.torrent....

2) I just copy-paste the address of that torrent to your web-ui...

3) cgi parses that address, downloads the .torrent, adds it to 'source' and starts to download it automagically?

That would make me even happier! And just imagine all the possibilities that would open! If there was this possibility, we wouldn't be far away from Firefox-extension - I see nice torrent link on the web, I right click that link, select 'add to my asusbox' and things happen seamlessly.... ;-)
    Last edited by quenthal; 26-10-2006 at 16:52.

yes i want to be able to add delete and set which file from the torrent to download. And want it password protected. I don't mind that it needs PHP installed.

Added Fetch button with transmission_0.6+r1033-1_mipsel.ipk
    Just "Copy link location" and Push Fetch button to paste.

This was rather easy, but I anticipate that Rename button will be requested soon.

Thanks for hooking us up to this awesome package, oleo. This addresses the main issue I had with the wl500gp.
    Last edited by kRiSiS; 30-10-2006 at 15:13.

I suggest reading http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=34579&postcount=68 in wl500g custom development area.

This cgi script works great with torrent.cgi, but when I try to get it working with enhanced-ctorrent (and transmission.cgi) I run into a lot of issues. Most importantly that the downloads don't even start. I see only the torrent in the work directory and I get no download speed. I also see no graph in either of them, and I did install gnuplot as well as libjpeg and fontconfig. Anyone come across something like this before?
    Last edited by kRiSiS; 31-10-2006 at 17:56.

torrent.cgi is taileored for libbt
    transmission.cgi is tailorered for transmission daemon

Enhanced-ctorent is not supported! I suggest to tweak torrent.cgi for ctorrent.

Quote Originally Posted by oleo View Post
    Transmission package does this web UI without need for PHP or special http server. busyboc_httpd does the job.
    Hello,

Is it possible to output a chart with no_UTC time (X-axis) ?
    A file "transfer.data" use timestamp in Unix format (sec since 1970), and it is good. But, gnuplot v4.0 do not use locale, and make charts with time in UTC only.

Think, i can use awk or perl or something in transmission.cgi, and filtering timestamp data after "sed", but maybe somebody have better solution...

Sorry for my english.

Uf. There are pedantic people ot there. I was lucky just to get graph out and not realised UTC shift.
    See the source and suggest solution.

Quote Originally Posted by oleo View Post
    Uf. There are pedantic people ot there. I was lucky just to get graph out and not realised UTC shift.
    See the source and suggest solution.
    Ops, thanks for your answer and sorry for my question
    I thought, gnuplot is able to do UTC shift.

It is a pity to do work, which maybe someone has made earlier.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast