Thread: wirless bridge with my hardware possible?

wirless bridge with my hardware possible?

Hello,

Because it is impossible to have a cable to my room from downstears to upstairs, i need a wireless connection upstairs.
    I have alot of things without a wireless nic so i need to transfer wireless to cable and want to still have the same network.
    I prefer to use my first router as router and dhcp server but, if it's impossible it is also no problem. (before the asus bridge it's only hardware that don't realy need an internet to server connection, so i can portmap everything to the asus)

now i have a SENAO wireless 11B accespoint downstairs, and want to make an wireless bridge upstairs with a asus WL-500Gp

i've make a picture what I want to do:

via = from
    Laptop ouders = notebook parents

the only quastion is, is it possible what I have in mind?
    offcourse i want to use the usb ports of the router
    (sorry about my english)

Your construction

I would never use more than one DHCP servers in the same network. I also don't see a need for that.

But I doubt that your construction will work. The problem is the connection between the Senao (?) Access Point and the Asus Router. To connect this routers wirelessly they both have to speak WDS. The Asus router does speak WDS. But even if The Senao has WDS its not a guarantee that they will both work. The problem is, that WDS itself is standarized. But the implementation is not. So every manufacturer does it in his own way. So the reality shows that connecting two routers with each other wirelessly via WDS is only possible with routers of the same manufacturer.

I don't know if you come from Germany but in the latest c't (I think 21/2006) there was an article series about WDS.

Bye,

Ohrenfratz

thanx for the information,

Senao is a famous brand in holland with a very high signalstrength, it's only 11mb but it isn't cheap because the very high signalstrength.
    Shamefully this Senao don't support WDS

But i've testet it with a Sweex router from a friend, and it is with that router possible to use Infrastructure mode and make a connection with the Senao.
    I had already tested it before but i need to turn off WEP on the Senao, and only protect it whit mac adress rules.

the only bad thing is it takes ages to become a ip from the alcatel speedtouch. but i pretty happy with it, i can ping to the modem with 2ms.
    And WEP is not that good so i don't miss it.

I think the Asus have also a kind of infrastructure mode?
    My problem is solved than, and hopefully the Asus transport the ip faster than the sweex does.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    But i've testet it with a Sweex router from a friend, and it is with that router possible to use Infrastructure mode and make a connection with the Senao.
    I had already tested it before but i need to turn off WEP on the Senao, and only protect it whit mac adress rules.
    Yes sometimes it is possible to make two routers of different manufacturers communicate via WDS if you disable the encryption or just use WEP. But this is not a good idea as long as you don't live in the mountains or somewhere with no neighbours. So a really reliable encryption like WPA or WPA2 via WDS is in most ways only possible with routers from the same manufacturer.

The alternative is to connect the routers via a (crossover) cable. Then you don't need WDS and you have really "strong encryption"...

It's possible and simple

Duncan
    It is possible since I'm using a similar setup. You're not depending on WDS in both routers or any special things.
    Your ASUS should just act as a wireless "adapter" or Station to the AP/Senao. To do that do following:

Have Oleg's fw installed in ASUS.
    Set ASUS for client/station mode:
    System Setup | Operation Mode - Home Gateway
    Wireless | Bridge > AP Mode - WDS Only
    Wireless | Advanced > Extended Mode - Station
    Then You set the rest of the wireless part (SSID .... ) as an adapter = the same config as used in Your AP/Senao. Use a channel above 6.
    I use WEP, haven't tried WPA.
    How to handle IP depends on your need. DHCP or fixed.
    If DHCP is handled from Senao, set Senao LAN to 192.168.1.1 and for ASUS set Lan to 192.168.1.2, WAN to Automatic IP and Enable DHCP server= No

If You want a more complex setup (bridged) follow this thread:
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=...idge+dhcp+500g

Unhappy WL500gp station on SMC Barricade

Have Oleg's fw installed in ASUS.
    Set ASUS for client/station mode:
    System Setup | Operation Mode - Home Gateway
    Wireless | Bridge > AP Mode - WDS Only
    Wireless | Advanced > Extended Mode - Station
    Then You set the rest of the wireless part (SSID .... ) as an adapter = the same config as used in Your AP/Senao. Use a channel above 6.
    I use WEP, haven't tried WPA.
    How to handle IP depends on your need. DHCP or fixed.
    If DHCP is handled from Senao, set Senao LAN to 192.168.1.1 and for ASUS set Lan to 192.168.1.2, WAN to Automatic IP and Enable DHCP server= No
    I have followed this instructions, but my wl500gp does not work as repeater.

My configuration is old SMC Barricade (.11b) router and I want to extend its reach by using WL500gp. I have installed Oleg's fw, set AP Mode, Extended mode, SSID and channel (I am using ch11) as described in previous post. No security. DHCP is running on my SMC, so I turned it off on wl500gp. Wan is set as Automatic IP and Lan to 192.168.123.2. I cannot change LAN address on SMC, it is 192.168.123.254. My SMC is connected to cable modem. Result of my work is:

- I can see only SMC router from my wireless devices (notebook,...).
    - On SMC I see wl500gp on DHCP client list.
    - I can only see wl500gp from other devices if I set Extended mode to "AP or WDS", when I set "station" or "Ethernet bridge" wl500gp is not available when I search for wireless access points. (no matter if I set "WDS Only" or "Hybrid" as the AP mode)
    - As a consequence I cannot connect to wl500gp via wireless.
    - If I connect my notebook to wl500gp via cable on LAN port I can get connected to wl500gp, but in this case I get no response on 192.168.123.254 (should be SMC router) and I see nothing on my LAN nor I can get to the Internet.

Is there something missing in the instructions in quoted post? Should I set something in addition to these settings? Please help.

Nenad