Thread: Problems with connecting a USB-Harddisk

Problems with connecting a USB-Harddisk

I have a WL500gPremium router and it al works fine, but when i want to connect my Philips 160Gb Harddisk the 'problems' start... When i connect the harddisk it shows in the logs that an USB-Webcam is attached... any idea's on what is going wrong here???

(The first time i connected it recognized it good, but it was formatted as NTFS, so i formatted it as EXT2, but after that it comes with the usb-webcam stuff....)

Angry

I've got the same external hard disk and the same problems. I've tried out FAT32 and FAT16 and none of them worked. I tried out several variations of FAT and NTFS. My HD is always recognized as USB Webcam. What kind of sh*t is that!

I though Disk Format has nothing to with recognizing an USB Mass Storage Device. BTW the Philips HD is recognized by any PC i tested it with.

I was hopeless and requested ASUS to help me with this issue. But they never responded and erased my help request after 3 weeks !!! That's what I call support!

Anyone can give me a hint how are chances to get the disk running with Oleg's Firmware?

The first time it did recognize it correct, but i think that was before i updated the firmware from 1.9.6.7 to 1.9.7.0... so i thought let's try to downgrade it again, but i can't find the 1.9.6.7 version anymore...
    With me the Oleg software is not an option because for some reason i can't get it on my router...

you must have only USB harddisk, when no (it is combo?)-it is problem

It's not a combo... it's a harddisk. The problem is that the WL500gP thinks it's a webcam...

i have thermaltake(3,5) with only USB and second with usb and firewire. with usb is ok and with usb and firewire is is not ok

And the combo hd is detected as USB Webcam?

It might be the case that the philips HDs have a firewire interface (internally), only the connector is missing. I read in some specs of the Philips HD that they have both firewire and usb, but found my HD without firewire when delivered.

So the wl500gp has a problem with external hds which come with both firewire and usb? anyone experienced that?

I've just checked my external HD, and from the outside it only has een USB connection...
    My idea is that it has to do with the latest firmware of Asus... because the first i connected it, it did recognize it, but that was with firmware 1.9.6.7 and now i have 1.9.7.0
    I wanted to test if it has to do with the firmware, but i cant find 1.9.6.7 anymore...

Hi, I have Maxtor One Touch II (200MB) and it has both USB and Firewire. Works okay. 1st partition FAT32, second NTFS. Only the NTFS is read-only but it's linux problem. ric.

Quote Originally Posted by calaba View Post
    I have Maxtor One Touch II (200MB)
    Sorry: One Touch III

hmm ...ok got to try to go back to original firmware too! Anyone here who still has 1.9.6.7 ??

Maybe we should have all firmware version linked in a sticky thread here?

I got the 1.9.6.7 firmware today, but it still recognized my HD as a webcam...

I tried it with Olegs firmware to, but that one recognized it as a HD AND a webcam... and I am not that good with Linux so I didn't get it to work good...

Linux expert needed

@peterwoude: Any news regarding your hd, did you try out olegs new firmware?

Is there an linux expert here who can you help with this issue?? Is there a way to make the router understand that the Philips 160Gb Harddisk is actually a hd and not a webcam??