Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Problems with sharing USB disc over NFS

Nfs?

I wonder if transfers with nfs server are faster than samba transfer. Someone posted nfs speeds they sure looked ok to me...i have vsftp and samba working fine...but i would like to try nfs...the only problem is that theres no tutorial .

thx
    Nuno

Can only mount NFS export read-only

So I set my /tmp/harddisk/part1/ as an export in the 'usb application --> nfs server' page of the router (using Olegs 1.9.2.7-7c FW).
    From my linux box, I can now do:

mount -t nfs 192.168.1.254:/tmp/harddisk/part1/ /home/ben/mnt/asus/

and it mounts the directory. If I try and write anything to there, I get an error message about 'read-only file system'
    so I tried

mount -o remount,rw 192.168.1.254:/tmp/harddisk/part1/ /home/ben/mnt/asus/

which seemed to work, mount now shows the drive mounted as rw, but I still get the same error message when trying to write anything.
    What am I doing wrong?

Solved

Don't bother, I found the problem.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Control
    Don't bother, I found the problem.
    I've got a similar problem. How did you fix yours?

Well, in my case, it turned out that I hadn't declared the exports correctly. Can you maybe post what you've got written into the list of exports in the web interface USB--->NFS?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Control
    Well, in my case, it turned out that I hadn't declared the exports correctly. Can you maybe post what you've got written into the list of exports in the web interface USB--->NFS?
    Actually, having read your reply, I think my problem is different and so I'll start a new thread. Thanks for trying to help.

NFS disables Samba?

Hi all!

This question might be a bit offtopic since it concerns more linux in general, but i'll give it a shot...

I'm running some computers in my homenetwork, some winxp and some linux (ubuntu), and my wl500g can share sambashares w/o any problems whatsoever, my winxp-comp's can "mount" the sambashares and all.

On the linuxmachines i can see the "windowsnetwork" and browse trough the sambashares, but i cannot mount them in a folder... (newbie!!!)

So, i decided to try to enable NFS so i can use a more "native" method of sharing folders from the usbdisk attached to my wl500g.

The setup was no problem, just to add the searchpath in webgui for NFS and i could see the share in linux, but, it showed up as a windowsnetwork-share?...

Strange i thought, and even stranger was the fact that my other real sambashares now was missing :-/

So, i disabled the NFS, and tadaa, the sambashares showed up again...

Anyway to conclude:
    How do i share my "/opt/share/sambashare/" so that it's mountable on my linuxmachine (not using samba)?
    And remember, i'm a newbie in linux

Problems with sharing USB disc over NFS

Hello,
    I have the following problem with my ASUS wl-500gP with Oleg's firmware. After several weeks of using the NFS the mounting on client machines stopped work, I get only message "mount: RPC: Timed Out". I was googling a lot (including this post: http://wl500g.info/archive/index.php/t-2652.html), but I wasn't able to solve the problem.

More precise decription of the problem:
    • Router model:ASUS wl-500gP (Premium)
    • Firmware version: the latest version from http://oleg.wl500g.info/gp/ (wl500g-1.9.2.7-7f-pre7.tar.bz2)
    • The router is "Home Gateway" mode
    • Client machines: 1 PC (wired), 1 notebook (wifi), both with Debian Sarge. Firewalls on both are configured to accept the packets in ESTABLISHED or RELATED states. I also tried to disable the firewall, but no change happened.
    • The USB disc (200G Maxtor) is plugged into the router. The disc is partitioned into 4 pieces (vfat, ext3, ext3, ext3). The partiotions seems to be mounted correctly.
    • NFS and FTP servers are enabled on the router

Lines in the file /etc/exports looks like (sorry, I forgot the file at home and I can't connect to the router from outside)
    /tmp/harddisk/ *(rw,async,no_root_squash)
    /tmp/harddisk/part1 *(rw,async,no_root_squash)
    ... (the same line for parts 2 and 3)

The /etc/fstab lines on the client stations look like:

router:/tmp/harddisk /mnt/maxtor1 nfs rw,soft,user,noauto,showexec,iocharset=iso8859-2,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 0 0
    router:/tmp/harddisk/part1 /mnt/maxtor2 nfs rw,soft,user,noauto,exec,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 0 0
    ... etc.

(the name 'router' is defined properly in /etc/hosts on client stations)

When I try to mount some of the directories, i get only message:
    mount: RPC: Timed Out

I tried to play with the mount options, but it didn't help. nfs-common and portmap are running on the client stations.
    All the partitions are still available via the FTP server.

The NFS mounting did work several weeks, but then suddenly it stopped work. I don't remember any changes on the client stations. On the router, I have only added rules for manual assigned address for DHCP, which IMO can't affect NFS. I couldn't find any messages in router's log which would suggest where is the problem.

I tried to reset the the router to factory settings (via web interface) and configure the exports again, but it didn't solve the problem.

The only weird thing I have noticed, that after umounting the disc (the "Eject" button in the web interface) partitions 1 (vfat) and 2 (ext3) are still mounted. I tried to unmount it manually (umount /tmp/harddisk/part1), but it said something about "Invalid argument".

Thanks for answers.

NFS Client

Hallo all have anyone tryied to mount the NFS from other linux system to asus wl500g deluxe?

Thx for replay.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234