Thread: IM-Services like MSN, Skype, etc. with webcam connected to router?

Red face IM-Services like MSN, Skype, etc. with webcam connected to router?

Hi,
    I'm searching for an answer to my question in this forum since more than 2 hours but unfortunately couldn't find anything by using the words "webcam", "MSN", "Skype", "chat" in various combinations. So I finally registered to put my question right here. Here it comes...

Can I use IM services like MSN, Skype, Yahoo, etc. for video conferencing when my webcam is connected to the USB port of the router? Or is videoconferencing only possible when I connect the cam straight to the USB port of the PC?

My question is not limited to the Premium version of the router as I think that also the older 500g versions support webcam connection to the router.

Thank you very much for your assistance and

Greetings from Germany!

Ohrenfratz

PS: Oh and one more question: Is any of the 500g versions able to be used as a bridge/repeater? Because I intend to use it not as the central router, but as an additional access point that connects to the first router via WLAN to enlarge my WLAN.
    Last edited by ohrenfratz; 28-09-2006 at 13:03.

I am sorry to tell you that the webcam can not suport the IM tools.

And, I think WL-500gP can work under the WDS and Hybrid mode. U can set it up in the FW page Wireless->Bridge.
    Last edited by ghoulr; 29-09-2006 at 04:31.

Auto-Reconnect of the USB-Port?

Oh that's a pitty... because I intend to use the USB camera as webcam for the above mentioned IM services but also as a network camera for surveillance.

So my new Idea is now to use a USB Switch box to make both possible with one camera:

But I have two concerns for that kind of construction:
    1. How does the Asus Router react if the Switch box hardly "removes" the USB device? Will it recognize correctly that the device is unplugged and on the other hand
    2. How does the Asus Router react if the Switch box "plugs in" the USB device back again? Will it recognize the USB device is plugged in again correctly and provide access through network?

To check this and to avoid spending money for something that doesn't work I would like to ask some 500x owner (both Premium and not Premium) with a webcam attached to the router to simply check what will happen if you hardly unplug and replug the cam.
    1. Will the router still work after hardly unplugging the device?
    2. Will the webcam work again like a network camera after replugging the device?

Thank you very, very much for your help guys!!!

Ohrenfratz
    Last edited by ohrenfratz; 29-09-2006 at 08:52.

It seems you can do it and the router will work normally.
    But I think the best way to unplug the USB device is to disable the device first in the FW page, just as you do on your PC.

Quote Originally Posted by ghoulr View Post
    It seems you can do it and the router will work normally.
    But I think the best way to unplug the USB device is to disable the device first in the FW page, just as you do on your PC.
    Yes it "seems" that it will work but I really would like to get sure before I spend money for nothing... the problem is, that this construction is not for me personal but for a not very computer-addicted person... u know? So this construction only makes sense to me if it is really reliable and stable... so I still would be very thankful if somebody could proof this (like above mentioned).

Thank you, very-very much in advance!

Ohrenfratz

I think your idea is great and feasible.
    But for a professional suggestion you should wait for a test result.

Can I get your mail address so that if I can build this constructure I could discuss about this with you?
    Last edited by ghoulr; 04-10-2006 at 12:33.

Quote Originally Posted by ghoulr View Post
    I think your idea is great and feasible.
    But for a professional suggestion you should wait for a test result.

Can I get your mail address so that if I can build this constructure I could discuss about this with you?
    You've got a PM...