Router :Asus WL-500g Premium
FW : 1.9.6.9
Internet : 6000 kbit/s down
House : 2. story house w/basement, all wood, router on 2. floor, office/computer in basement.

THIS IS A LONG ONE.....................

I'm sitting here with my laptop, feeling like I have wasted money and time. Only getting aggrevation in return. I'm no wifi WIZZKID, but ever time a friend buy's something wireless, guess who has to set it up? ME!

I have had 3 routers in 3 years. Two Philips routers and one Belkin. The Belkin was the cheapest and the one woth least functions (Wireless G Router). But it worked with ok speed and signal strength,easy setup. The first Philips (CPWS54) was a piece of cookie to set up and worked flawlessly. But I wanted more functions, so I sold it to a friend. I wanted something "fancy" and ordered the Asus WL-500GP. (In the meantime, I bought a new Philips router (SNB6500) as an interim solution. A shop in Norway has a 30 day return policy on all products, even IF you have used it, eh abused their generosity).

NOW, I have set up the Asus router, everything basic worked and was easy to set up. But I bought it because it had usb ports for HDD and printer. You could also use a webcam. It looked like a bargain....................

I have now spent an entire saturday and sunday trying to get this piece of JUNK to work. Printer is not printing, webcam doesn't work. I have spent my entire weekend, wasting time, trying to get it to do what it says it does. I finally gave up and set up everything in standard mode and went to my office. Downloading from an FTP was slow, browsing seemed slower. I started using several speedtest on the internet.

I noticed I got over 50% REDCTION IN SPEED then compared to the Philips router. THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE. I have a 6mbit line in to my house. Before I got between 5500 and 6200 down. NOW with my NEW IMPROVED router I ONLY GET 2700 to 3200 kbit/s. WTF....WTFFFFFFFF

So I intsatlled Nettstumbler to monitor everything and what do I find? Moving away from the router, I loose about 50% of signal strength and same amount of noise. When I'm 2m from the router I get 6200 kbit/s down, 1. floor I get 3700 kbit/s and in the office I only get 2500-2800 kbit/s. THIS IS 50% SLOWER THEN WITH A PHILIPS ROUTER HALF THE PRICE.

So, I pay 50% more for a router and get a 50% reduction on wlan speed. AND I CAN'T GET THE F'ING PRINTER TO PRINT, THE WEBCAM TO WEBCAM and I'm starting to really REALLY HATE ASUS.

WHY GOD, WHY? This is just NOT good enogh......I have tried several different setting, I have tried with afterburner on and off......

Basically, IT SUCKS...................................